Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

Let's talk about pre-amps!

(1/17) > >>

WEEZ:
I realize that some do not use a pre-amp, for various reasons. But if you do, what do you use? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? Is there a pre-amp you lust over? What features do you want or need?

(This could be interesting..or be so boring it might fizzle)...but let's try it!

WEEZ

bpape:
Tough for me since I sell them.  But honestly, if you're a tweaker, the Korato's make an exceptional platform for a top quality pre for a reasonable price.  

If you're at RMAF, you'll hear it.

Bryan

Double Ugly:
I'm looking *hard* for a pre-amp that won't negatively affect the wonderful clarity and openness I get with my Transporter connected directly to the amps.  Taking my previous pre- (a Placette Audio RVC) out of the system proved revelatory, as did the removal of my DAC (a twice-modified ack dAck!).

Still, I never tried the Placette after all the SB2, PS and Transporter mods were complete (I stupidly sold it  :oops: ), and now I wonder if it might be the answer I'm seeking now.  I fellow I trust in NYC has some ideas, so I'll probably take a chance on one of his suggestions.

I didn't see the Korato on either of your sites, Bryan...did I miss it?  I doubt it's for me since I'm not a tweaker, but congrats on being the first US dealer.  :D

-Jim

richidoo:
I like the ARC Ref 3. It is really easy to use with remote, I can see the numbers without glasses on from 20 feet away, and it sounds incredible. It adds fire and light and joy to any music you put through it, without making a noticeable 'audible' change. Music still sounds crystal clear and 'transparent" but just better in an undescribable way. It is an audio love box. No not glove box. I know it adds dynamic energy as all good high gain preamps do, but there is more to it. It definitely improved the sound and pace of every track on my demo CD.

I heard it with ARC ref 110 amp and WATTpuppy7, boy I can't wait to hear it with speakers that have some soul.

I did hear the top dog Placette active pre at RMAF with the new Moscode amp, and that was a very clear open sound. Very impressive, I spent some time in there, one of my top 3 rooms at the show. I used to think that was the way to go, as uncolored as possible just like the textbook says, until I heard the Ref 3 and fell in love and forgot the rules. I would try the Placette at home before I bought anything else. It is awesome too.

I would also like to hear the VTL preamps some more. I heard the 6.5 at RMAF but the new Thiel speakers were very aggressive, maybe not broken in yet.

Then there is Steelhead, AVA UltraEC, ModWright, BelCanto DAC3, it goes on and on... Thank goodness!
Rich

miklorsmith:
Richi - I have a funny feeling you will be VERY welcome here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version