Music Ward > Music Discussion

is there such a CD?

(1/3) > >>

Nick B:
I have no formal music background and I rarely attend live events. I’d like to find a CD or two that would accomplish the following:

1) play a sample of music that would identify a particular instrument
2) play a sample of music, identify the instrument and where it falls within the musical spectrum

Thanks for any suggestions
Nick

tmazz:
If you are looking for a piece of music that identifies particular instruments I would recommend the opening sequence of Tchaikovsky's Peter and the Wolf where a natarotor introducers the animals in the story and tells which instrument will represent them in the music.

One of my favorite readings of it is the John Williams/Boston Pops recording on Phillips that was narrated by Dudley Moore.

It can be found on both Tidal and Qobuz.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by where an instrument falls in the musical spectrum, but if you are looking to see where the frequencies put out by a particular instrument fall within the range of human hearing, that is probably most easily explained visually using a in a chart , such as this:

I hope this helps.

Tom

dflee:
Neat chart Tom.
Would you post an address where I can download that?

Thanks
Don

tmazz:
https://www.eetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/media-1064767-decibel-fig218.jpg

Just for reference, if you right click on any graphic in one of our posts  you should get a drop down option called Copy Image Link which will put the source location for that image in your clipboard and you can then paste it where ever you need to. (I know this works at least in Windows using Firefox or Edge, I an sure there are similar options n other browsers and OSs.)

This is how I post album covers in the listening thread from Discogs or a Google Image search.

Nick B:

--- Quote from: tmazz on July 20, 2022, 10:18:03 PM ---If you are looking for a piece of music that identifies particular instruments I would recommend the opening sequence of Tchaikovsky's Peter and the Wolf where a natarotor introducers the animals in the story and tells which instrument will represent them in the music.

One of my favorite readings of it is the John Williams/Boston Pops recording on Phillips that was narrated by Dudley Moore.

It can be found on both Tidal and Qobuz.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by where an instrument falls in the musical spectrum, but if you are looking to see where the frequencies put out by a particular instrument fall within the range of human hearing, that is probably most easily explained visually using a in a chart , such as this:

I hope this helps.

Tom

--- End quote ---

That’s very helpful, Tom. Yes, your wording describes what I’m looking for. I have saved it on Qobuz and also saved the link to the chart. The Dudley Moore cut is also helpful, but I wish there were many more instruments. When listening to music, I’m often guessing as to what the instruments heard actually are. Minoring in music sure would have been fun.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version