Music Ward > Live Shows

Van Cliburn International Competition

(1/2) > >>

S Clark:
Every 4 years the Van Cliburn Competition is held in Ft. Worth.  I've been before, but this time we got the two day quarter finals package listening to 18 pianist from around the world.  It's a big buck competition with tour and recording contract at stake. 
We got up at 4:30  to drive in to be in our seats at 9:30.  By 4PM we were exhausted.  Don't get me wrong, these are all great pianist, with a few being musical mutants-- but you can listen to Prokofiev and Scriabin for just so many hours of the day.  Today, we left early, skipping 6 sessions.  Half of the audience consisted or old grey haired white guys that were nodding off. That included me.  The original plan was to stay to the end, get on the road, and get back about 1:30 AM.  We'd have never made it.  I've never known listening to be such work. 
But, keep your eyes peeled for Honggi Kim of S. Korea.  DAMN! That kid can play!
I'll go back in 4 years, God willing, but I'll shell out the cash for just the 6 man/woman finals. 

Nick B:

--- Quote from: S Clark on June 06, 2022, 04:08:23 PM ---Every 4 years the Van Cliburn Competition is held in Ft. Worth.  I've been before, but this time we got the two day quarter finals package listening to 18 pianist from around the world.  It's a big buck competition with tour and recording contract at stake. 
We got up at 4:30  to drive in to be in our seats at 9:30.  By 4PM we were exhausted.  Don't get me wrong, these are all great pianist, with a few being musical mutants-- but you can listen to Prokofiev and Scriabin for just so many hours of the day.  Today, we left early, skipping 6 sessions.  Half of the audience consisted or old grey haired white guys that were nodding off. That included me.  The original plan was to stay to the end, get on the road, and get back about 1:30 AM.  We'd have never made it.  I've never known listening to be such work. 
But, keep your eyes peeled for Honggi Kim of S. Korea.  DAMN! That kid can play!
I'll go back in 4 years, God willing, but I'll shell out the cash for just the 6 man/woman finals.

--- End quote ---

Well, it seems like an adventurous and fun trip nonetheless. Maybe the Kim youngster will have a video up on utube soon.

S Clark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FmX-CBIvI

This is his prelim performance (which I didn't see).  I don't like the selections as well as what I saw today, but you can clearly hear his talent. 

Nick B:

--- Quote from: S Clark on June 06, 2022, 05:54:02 PM ---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FmX-CBIvI

This is his prelim performance (which I didn't see).  I don't like the selections as well as what I saw today, but you can clearly hear his talent.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link. It was interesting just to see his focus on being seated comfortably and being ready to start his performance.

malloy:

--- Quote from: S Clark on June 06, 2022, 04:08:23 PM ---Every 4 years the Van Cliburn Competition is held in Ft. Worth.  I've been before, but this time we got the two day quarter finals package listening to 18 pianist from around the world.  It's a big buck competition with tour and recording contract at stake. 

--- End quote ---

Wow! You are lucky. I've only ever read about the competition and of course, heard past performers, but I've never thought of actually going to see the competition live. I thought that this wasn't open to the general public?

But I get what you mean about hearing player after player with Scriabin,etc.  :lol:

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version