Music Ward > Music Discussion

my topic/my neurosis

(1/5) > >>

shep:
What's the point of having a high rez. system if you sit there cringing at a wall of bad sound? (hoping no one will come in and ask what's wrong with the system) Ever since I started this nervosa, back in the late 70's, I found the same thing. Ten great records out of 50 I ended up listening to. I had to really stretch my musical tastes to find acceptable to good to great sounding recordings. I think it has gotten worse since. Either good sound engineers are getting scarce or they have gotten lazy.
Maybe there are two many buttons on the console? I'm not just talking believable recording venues/spaces as in live or concert hall, there are some amazing studio recordings. My present system, while forgiving, is very revealing and has had me trotting out every disc again to seperate the wheat from the chaff. My greatest are sadly on Vinyl. I have no TT and no intention of getting back into it. Still, I have unearthed some gems on cd that I will share with you. Please don't berate me. Some of these are very hard to find. I've already made H. Salvidor mad for telling him about stuff that he can't find. I'll not make endless lists  Just a few that really make my speakers sit up and take notice. These are la creme de la creme (until I get to hear better)
Might as well start here; I discovered this artist a few years ago. I think this was her first album. Anyway it's the only one of hers I have;
Meshell Ndegocello. "Peace beyond Passion, on Mavrick '96  It is the most astonishing studio recording I have ever heard (I presume it is because I hear no public) Enormous dynamics, shattering deep bass, perfect recording ballance and a totally fabulous performance/arrangement. A++ If it sounds "hot" there's something amiss with your system :wink:
Ok piano: notorious to record. This cd by Joe Sample is a winner. Splendid sounding, believeable piano (all the rest too) Musically it is not very inspiring but that's another issue. ""Old places, old faces" WarnerB. 96'. Right, another A++. (I found this is still available but for a crazy price!) The artist is Curandero, title is ARAS. Crazy good sound, splendid music: neo flamenco/jazz/indian influence. A MUST! Change of pace: Herbie Hancock "Gershwin's World" on Verve. Uneven sound and content but when it's good it's very good. I'm a big fan of Rickie Lee Jones. Her first album on Warner "Rickie Lee Jones" 79' is a classic, her best and is a great recording period. That should hold you for now!

opnly bafld:
I find that even with BAD recordings I hear more, things I did not know were there, with a hi rez system and I just enjoy the music too much not to listen.
With your really bad recordings you could always get a Bose Wave Radio and listen to it from another room.  :lol:

ps    I have a demo disc with a recording of Grandma's Hands by Livingston Taylor (Chesky) that has a REEEAAALLY  low frequency noise (maybe his foot tapping and vibrating the mike stand?) that I first noticed when judging a car audio competition. I don't hear it on a lot of home systems, only ones with subs that go low enough or are turned up toooooo much. I am sure Chesky does not know it is there......or maybe they do.

Lin :D

canyoneagle:
GREAT THREAD!
Perhaps it will become a sticky.
"Critical condition" comes to mind.......
Here are a few recordings that are perpetual favorites of mine:

Rite of Strings

Ottmar Liebert y Luna Negra, Viva!

Antonio Forcione - Acoustic revenge (a Naim recording)

Rusted Root - Evil Ways live, especially "Cruel Sun".  Stunning live recording.

Carlman:
I hope Hantra chimes in here.... He always has the hook-up on great sounding recordings of live shows... which may need its own topic...

Every once in a while I find a very well-recorded album but I can never remember which ones when these topics come up...

The only 2 I can remember at the moment are "Alice in Chains - Unplugged" the MTV cd from the 90's... and "James - Laid" which has a GREAT first song.. and a couple of others but, it's worth the full price of that cd for just the 3 good ones...

-C

canyoneagle:
Know watchya mean about forgetting...

Lately I've been keeping a pad of paper and a pen handy to jot down any songs worthy of being added to my "Demo" list.

Since I'm now using a Red Wine iMod as my primary source, I have added a 'demo' playlist which makes it very easy to get to my reference music without much fuss.

I'm taking note of other's recommendations here, and will create my own 'short list' of CD's to buy/rip.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version