Music Ward > Music Discussion

Who are your favorite song writers

(1/4) > >>

BobM:
This list is very subjective. I've listed mine but I totally left out classical, prog and jazz. These are mostly well known people that I tend to enjoy. You list will probably be very different. No particular order within a tier.

Tier 1
Lennon/McCartney - they were never as good apart as they were together so I'm counting them as one
Paul Simon
Elton John
Billy Joel
James Taylor

Tier 2
Steven Stills
Don Henley
Bruce Springsteen
Cat Stevens
Joni Mitchell

Tier 3
Sting
John Fogerty
Kenny Loggins
Pete Townsend
Kevin Gilbert

Tier 4
Roger Waters
Billy Gibbons
Donald Fagen
Stevie Wonder
Van Morrison

S Clark:
Wow.  Your list, with a few changes in positions, matches mine really closely.  Obviously, you have excellent taste in music!  :thumb:

I might sneak Carole King onto the list, just so there'd be another female.  On my list, she'd take Springsteen's place.

BobM:
I thought of Carol King, but the volume of her songwriting and the length of time she wrote new songs just doesn't measure up to her one great album.

There are lots of great bands with great songs but no one person in that group that stands out. Zeppelin has great songs but much of what they did were old blues songs reinterpreted. Allman Brothers the same. Aerosmith, Yes, Genesis, Moody Blues, Americ, Stones and many others were performance bands and collaborative writers but not necessarily one song writer. Current country and pop artists don't write their own stuff much either.

Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull could be on the list somewhere.

malloy:
Can't really do tiers for my list, but I'd move up Fagen, Sting, and Wonder and add to the list:

Not even a fan of every genre they did, but very impressive nonetheless:

Diane Warren for the sheer diversity of songs (rock, pop, country etc.)
Babyface - for the same reasons
Maybe Nile Rodgers? - Can't tell if he just produced or wrote most of the hits he's known for.

tmazz:

--- Quote from: BobM on December 22, 2019, 05:41:12 AM ---This list is very subjective. I've listed mine but I totally left out classical, prog and jazz. These are mostly well known people that I tend to enjoy. You list will probably be very different. No particular order within a tier.

Tier 1
Lennon/McCartney - they were never as good apart as they were together so I'm counting them as one
Paul Simon
Elton John
Billy Joel
James Taylor

Tier 2
Steven Stills
Don Henley
Bruce Springsteen
Cat Stevens
Joni Mitchell

Tier 3
Sting