Author Topic: VPI SDS Footers  (Read 8359 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
VPI SDS Footers
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:38:42 AM »
There's been some discussion on Audiogon about putting different footers below the SDS speed controller and how it makes a difference. Now, I am not one to poo-poo things without trying them, but this one sounds a little like a stretch to me.

Anyone here try this?

I will have to give it a go sometime soon.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: VPI SDS Footers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
You go first and tell me how it turns out.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

musicfile

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
On the topic of footers
There is a local guy who makes footers out of silicone and in our audio group we have tried them under several tt
Vpi oracle Lenco etc and they were so much better then the brass footers eden sound

The best part is they are relatively inexpensive in audiphile terms
I think you should consider these bob they sound fantastic underneth any audio stand equipment even speakers
My system in all honesty has never sounded better with the footers in place
I have about 6 sets currently and each added footer is accumulative in performance  :thumb:

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 06:03:56 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt about footers under a TT.  The question here was if it could make a difference under the SDS speed controller, not the table itself.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

musicfile

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt about footers under a TT.  The question here was if it could make a difference under the SDS speed controller, not the table itself.

Bryan
Sorry guys should have read the post a bit clearer
fwiw i'm certain the footers i'm referring to would work quite well underneath any equipment including the sds controler

I have tried these under 50 or so more components in all cases it improved the sound to my liking ..just spreading the word no soliciting here  :)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
As for those custom footers sold by your friend - I personally would need more that just a verbal reflection on them. Pictures would help, for a start. Perhaps an audition tour would be a good second thought.

As for footers under the speed controller - I certainly will try this down the road, but I'm currently engrossed in another upgrade project. One thing at a time for me.

musicfile

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 08:09:17 PM »

Hi Bob
As requested pics of Todd's silicone footers in various sizes

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:29:18 PM »
OK Bob, I don't understand how, I don't understand why but I put a set of footers under my SDS and there was a definite change in sound. Only had time to try one set but there was an unmistakable change. I will have to listen further to determine if I like the sound better with or without the footers (and experiment with several different types of footers as well), but at this point I can confirm tat they do at least make a difference.

More to follow as I experiment further..........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JBryan

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 03:47:28 AM »
I'm currently using Mapleshade Heavy brass cones under the SDS but have been playing around with DIY ball bearing footers and may give them a try. I'm not expecting much, if any noticeable difference in the sound as the SDS simply supplies clean, regulated power to the motor but I've been proven wrong many times before. The brass cones and ball bearings offer 2 completely different approaches (coupling vs isolation) so if there is a difference to be heard, I should be able to discern it.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:09 AM »
Thanks for trying guys. I knew some of you would be unable to resist  :lol:

I did a quick (real quick, like maybe 5 mins overall) test myself last night. Now, I don't have an SDS. My motor controller was designed by Mark Kelly and built by myself. But I guess the principle is mostly the same - it creates a perfect 60hz sine wave to drive the motor more consistently.

I have basic Home Depot rubber footers (4) on the bottom of mine. I put 4 Vibrapods underneath and I thought I could hear a difference. Maybe a little tighter sounding overall. Not really sure. Then I put 4 home made spoon & steel roller blocks underneath. Ah ha - perhaps a bit tighter still, with better definition on the cymbals. Back to the stock rubber feat and I think I heard things muddy up a wee bit. This is subtle, not groundbreaking so I might be fooled by my expectations.

This using only one record and one song for a real quick ear test. The rollerblocks make this whole thing quite wobbly. Anyway - hopefully more to come.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 06:50:17 AM »
Bob I would be more than happy to come over with what I use to great affect.
    The tranny as small as it is vibrates. When that vibration is drained more info is available. Roller blocks are a good start but the Pon-tunes are really special.
    I believe you will be quite surprised as to the results.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »
Charles - definitely, once I get my speaker upgrades done. I'll have a few buddies over for a listen and we can try them out.