Author Topic: Check out this TT  (Read 10636 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Check out this TT
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 05:59:19 AM »
Novelty sells.  Was that demo CD produced by the ELP company as a sales tool? Cool idea.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
Bob,
   I am not sure if you are thinking of the same unit, but...
Yip, that's the one.
I guess I'm glad I didn't spend 10K++ for that unit. Seems the reviews aren't that positive.

Bob

p.s. Wait a minute....Ten grand.....?.....  :shock:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »
Yeah, the CD was supposed to show you how great the TT worked with the caveat that of course this demonstration is  limited by the fact that it is on a CD  which by its very nature cannot sound as god as an analog source. Well like I said before, they picked a number of well know audiophile LPs to play and I thought they sounded significantly worse than the commercial CDs of those same recordings. Now this may have been a function of their CD recording rig, but what I found even more disturbing were the cuts that they used to show how the laser TT could produce "perfect sound" even from damaged records. they recorded worn & scratched records from a standard TT and then their laser on. While the laser TT did not produce the same clicks an pops that we are used to hearing , it did produce very distinct although more rounded sounds in there place. I for on could not see spending $10K on a TT that simply repaced one set of annoying sounds with a different set of annoying sounds.

But yes it was an interesting marketing strategy to try and find a way to get people to hear what the product did without actually hearing the product itself. Since these TTs are being produced in very limited numbers (only 1300 since 1991) I can see why they don't want to commit too much of there production run to dealer demos. Too bad they didn't have anything really worth listening to in the first place. It is an item for people who have money to burn and are more interested in having a toy than in good sound.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables