Author Topic: Radiohead  (Read 2781 times)

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Radiohead
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »
On Tidal, I played "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley. Once it finished, Tidal went into 'radio mode' (or whatever they want to call it) and played a song I don't recall ever hearing. Halfway through the song, I decided to see what is was because I like it. It turns out it was "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead.

After years of reading posts about Radiohead and how those posters like their music (and my not listening to Radiohead!), I finally stumbled onto that song.....and like it!  :duh

There are so many artists and so many songs that I've already begun losing track of my favorite artists. Just this week I went back to the first dozen or so 'liked' albums to see if I still like them (I do!). I realized I hadn't listened to a couple of the artists' songs in a couple years.   :shock:

I know some of you own thousands of CDs or LPs. How do you keep track of them all?

Over on AC, Asimov must listen to half a dozen CDs/albums every day.

Signed,

"drowning in a sea of music"
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »
Drowning in a sea of music..... that's how I would like to go.  8-[
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »

I know some of you own thousands of CDs or LPs. How do you keep track of them all?

Signed,

"drowning in a sea of music"

Keep track?  I just divide and alphabetize. 
Pre Baroque, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th Century- Stereo
All classical together alphabetized in Mono
Jazz- Stereo
Jazz- Mono
Pop/Rock
And a few misc type categories. 
It's not uncommon to pick up a bargain at the record store, to get home to already find a copy.  Or sometimes I discover a hole in the collection.  I was listening to Grieg Lyric Pieces the other day on Prime Music, and went to the collection to get more... with none to be found.  A bit of research to find that recordings were somewhat uncommon, so the next stop was Discogs. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »

Asimov not only listens to a half dozen classical albums a day, but they are a half dozen of composers I've never heard of.  That's a guy that loves his obscure music. 
... my apologies and correction.  I had confused Asimov with Andolink.  Completely different guys.   :oops:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:01:49 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline James Edward

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 02:04:40 PM »
So funny/ coincidental that you posted this today... This morning I was Tidaling along pleasantly, and then realized that I was losing complete control over the music. I was Ben Webstering one minute, then Wes Montgomerying another, and then Oscar Met Ben, etc., etc.
At home, in the real world, I have cd cases for jazz, rock, new wave, country, classical, audiophile faves, etc. In the virtual Tidal world, I haven't figured out how to control it all. Maybe I don't need to. It's like hanging out with someone that has your tastes in food, wine, TV, movies, etc. Relaxing if you let go. But still...
Not sure if this was where you were going, but your post brought this out.
PS- I am always thinking that so much good music has been, and is being made, that if you just keep your ears open, you'll find new things to love. Here on Long Island, in NY, the left end of the dial has provided me with some great stuff. I believe in most parts of the USA, that end is relegated to college and public radio; some great things can be had.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 04:02:38 PM »
So funny/ coincidental that you posted this today... This morning I was Tidaling along pleasantly, and then realized that I was losing complete control over the music. I was Ben Webstering one minute, then Wes Montgomerying another, and then Oscar Met Ben, etc., etc.
At home, in the real world, I have cd cases for jazz, rock, new wave, country, classical, audiophile faves, etc. In the virtual Tidal world, I haven't figured out how to control it all. Maybe I don't need to. It's like hanging out with someone that has your tastes in food, wine, TV, movies, etc. Relaxing if you let go. But still...
Not sure if this was where you were going, but your post brought this out.
PS- I am always thinking that so much good music has been, and is being made, that if you just keep your ears open, you'll find new things to love. Here on Long Island, in NY, the left end of the dial has provided me with some great stuff. I believe in most parts of the USA, that end is relegated to college and public radio; some great things can be had.

:shock: Talk about timing and coincidences......

I was listening to OPB radio yesterday. There's a program in which two guys discuss great songs, artists, and related and play choice selections. I don't know their names nor the name of the program, but they said exactly what you just typed about 'the left end of the dial....college and public radio stations'. And, yes, I remember listening to a couple college stations way way back before I disappeared into Asia.
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
Everything is alphabetical by artist, and each artist is then chronological by original release date, except the bottom shelf, which is compilations and soundtracks in alphabetical order by title.

2019-07-29_12-07-32 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr

Movies are alphabetical by title, and then release date in a series like Harry Potter.

2019-07-29_12-07-18 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr

I still need to sort through my vinyl collection since the renovation...

2019-06-24_09-28-57 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Guy 13

• Audio should be simple !
Radiohead
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
Hi Barry.
Well, that's what a call an organized person.
Thanks for sharing.

Guy 13
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
Barry,

Thank you for posting those photos. I learned something from them that I would not otherwise have figured out on my own. I've never made my own racking using boards and threaded poles before. Your including the levels (vinyl and movies) tells me how to make sure each shelf is level.  :thumb: I may get round to constructing my own shelving sometime next year.

Michael
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Hapa loom

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »
Everything is alphabetical by artist, and each artist is then chronological by original release date, except the bottom shelf, which is compilations and soundtracks in alphabetical order by title.

2019-07-29_12-07-32 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr

Movies are alphabetical by title, and then release date in a series like Harry Potter.

2019-07-29_12-07-18 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr

I still need to sort through my vinyl collection since the renovation...

2019-06-24_09-28-57 by Barry (NJ), on Flickr

Very nice shelving, great organizational skills  :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
Barry,

Thank you for posting those photos. I learned something from them that I would not otherwise have figured out on my own. I've never made my own racking using boards and threaded poles before. Your including the levels (vinyl and movies) tells me how to make sure each shelf is level.  :thumb: I may get round to constructing my own shelving sometime next year.

Michael

My pleasure Michael. Be sure to use good 1" thick furniture grade plywood to prevent sagging shelves.
Even some of these have sagged a bit over the decades, but it's less than 1/8" across the 4', so pretty inconsequential.

There are more pix available here if you're interested
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
Barry,

Michael

My pleasure Michael. Be sure to use good 1" thick furniture grade plywood to prevent sagging shelves.
Even some of these have sagged a bit over the decades, but it's less than 1/8" across the 4', so pretty inconsequential.

There are more pix available here if you're interested

And if you are worried about sagging you can always take some of the plywood and cut it to make a divider the height of the space between the shelves and place it mid-span
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:03:13 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables