Author Topic: Does anybody else like Beethoven?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Does anybody else like Beethoven?
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:24:07 PM »
Lately I am hooked on Beethoven Triple Concerto. At first it seems tame compared to the Symphonies, but wow does it grow on me. I listen to different versions in the car, hifi and portable. It is addictive. 

PM if you want to hear it. ;)

Yo Yo Ma / Anne Sophie Mutter: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=5151
Leon Fleisher / Isaac Stern: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Concerto-No-Triple/dp/B0000027BC

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Does anybody else like Beethoven?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:28:18 PM »
Yes!! Although, I seem to go in cycles as to which composer I listen to, at any given time.

Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 'Emperor' is one of my all time favorites  8).
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
No.....

Lord knows I have tried but I don't get it. I need drums, guitars and hard driving bass beat or it just isn't right for me. From time to time I get a Blues urge but that is about it for me.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 05:20:59 AM »
I enjoy him in doses.  I enjoy most classical in doses.

I do definitely prefer listening to a live performance though.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:21:34 AM »
Yes. His 9th" Erocia" is one of my favorites. Although I prefer straight up Jazz, classical comes in number two. Blues third and rock last.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
I like jazz too. I started with jazz, then got into classical only recently. With getting the vinyl rig sounding OK again and pratty amps I am listening a lot more to jazz now. It's amazing how much the system makes or breaks the listening experience.

I like Eroica Symphony also, that was the first symphony I heard in a real high end system. Shane brought over some Nuforce amps and Tact room correction a few years ago (  :shock: )  at my very first g2g. It was wild to hear the impact and detail so clearly. Very emotional. I still like the 5th best.

I've heard a few Beethoven Symphonies live, but usually the recordings are better. No smelly noisy people, better band, better conductor, better acoustics, and a hell of a lot cheaper. But occasionally a live concert really comes together, and the spiritual factor of being there with the musicians really makes it great. Usually it happens when playing a powerful piece which they rarely perform, so they feel it.  Last year the only pieces I remember doing that were Prokofiev Symphony 1, Shostakovich Piano Concerto 2, and Mozart Figaro. The typical Hayden and Brahms is usually a big waste for me. So I prefer those on record by a band that is inspired and understands what they're playing and why. Not just slogging out the 8pm show.  But 2 years ago NC Symphony played the 9th as season finale, with the NC MAster Choral singing the choral movement. It was pretty wild to be sitting in 6th row in front of 200 people playing as loud as they can.  :twisted:

Anyone want to sample the Triple Concerto? I will happily send it to you. The 1990s  YoYoMa is much better than the 1964 Fleisher.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
While the 5th Symphony is looked upon as cliche pop-classical, I think it is the essence of perfection.  There is not a note or moment that is wasted through out the entire composition. Often, classical composers lengthened movements with mindless noodling and extended passages,.  Beethoven, in his his fifth, instead explores every angle of each theme and motif with drama and emotion.  There is no waiting for the next exciting part; every part of the symphony is worth hearing.  There are no highlights, because the entire piece is a highlight.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »
Nicely put, Allen. The 5th feels more inspired than any of his other symphonies. Most people only know the intro theme, from cartoons or 70's disco hit "A Fifth of Beethoven" but it continues to expand and develop for 4 long movements.

Another amazing Beethoven work is his String Quartet 16, aka Opus 135. It is his final work before he died. Composed, like the 9th Symphony, while he was completely deaf. The grief and sadness of his challenging life is released in its entirety in the 3rd movement, and a final message of hope and gratitude is given with irony and sarcasm at the very end.

At RMAF the Fry Street String Quartet usually plays excerpts from Beethoven's quartets, but never a complete Quartet. They played some Op 135 last year. Another famous quartet work of Beethoven is Grosse Fuge, Opus 133.

Anybody want a disk of great recordings of Triple, 5th, 133 and 135 as flac sent to you for free? We could start an AN record club, like Oprah's book clubs.