Author Topic: Logitech Duet  (Read 25293 times)

ik632

Re: Logitech Duet
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 07:02:45 AM »
I still haven't seen any specs on to what the new requirements of SC7 are. What is such a resource hog? Is it the database or the processor speed required to handle the requests from the Duet? I'm finishing up a box tonight to give to Rich to test to see if some assumptions I have are correct. My last thing I need to figure out is how to map shares from the NAS to the FreeBSD box (I know how to do this in Windows, but the bare bones setup I have doesn't even have the client at this time).

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 07:35:33 AM »
Hi Nick,
I was reading the Manual (RTFM!) last night trying to eliminate operator error, a frequent liability with me. I saw the requirements in there:
733 MHz CPU or faster
256 MB RAM
80 MB hard drive space

Turning off 90% of the default plugins and leeting the SB reciver decode flac has really helped a lot. It is running faster this morning and no hiccups. SC sits at 100MB in mem, but most of that is due to the song database loaded into memory. JoshK on AC has seen 300MB+ on his. It was 110MB before I shut off the plugins and stopped server decoding of flac. With plugins and decoder running, SC would spike up to 40% processor playing music but never hiccuped, even on NAS, but that was before newest update, which I think defaulted decoding to server  :duh  With only 4 bare essential plugins, server is at 0 or 2% peak.

On your server, with SC7 running on FreeBSD and the machine on the net, can't we just HTTP to SC7 and set the remote music folder path using URL just as I do now on Winders? Why map? That is so DOS!!  :lol:  I would think the network IP client can resolve the hostname of NAS using DNS on the network. Everything is DHCP so all in DNS. And the shares are public too, so maybe it will fly easier than you think?

We shall see!! Thanks
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 06:40:20 AM »
Email from my supplier re the Duet delivery dates

SqueezeBox Duet update…

If there is one thing I have learned from the huge anticipation of the SqueezeBox Duet, it is that you never guarantee a delivery date until you have the product in your own hands.  During production Logitech had weekly changes to their anticipated release date that kept all of us on our toes. 

I was happy to learn last Friday that they were shipping the product to our warehouse and we would see it soon.  I kept telling myself, “I’ll believe it when I get a tracking number.”  Well yesterday they provided me with that tracking number and there was a pallet of Duets headed my way with Yellow Freight Lines.  The delivery was scheduled to arrive on our dock today!  I hesitated to share the information because it seemed too good to be true.  Well it was… I just got off the phone with the trucking company and the truck bringing our shipment into Kansas City was late and didn’t get to the local depot until this afternoon (too late for them to get it back out for delivery).  I was assured that they would have it to our dock tomorrow but they could not guarantee a delivery time so it may show up too late to get orders shipped back out tomorrow.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

ik632

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 07:46:26 AM »
On your server, with SC7 running on FreeBSD and the machine on the net, can't we just HTTP to SC7 and set the remote music folder path using URL just as I do now on Winders? Why map? That is so DOS!!  :lol:  I would think the network IP client can resolve the hostname of NAS using DNS on the network. Everything is DHCP so all in DNS. And the shares are public too, so maybe it will fly easier than you think?

We shall see!! Thanks
Rich

The one we're experimenting with actually runs Ubuntu server (wanted to give it a try). If SC can map across the network using just that then we are set. The box has a 40gb drive so there's enough room to drop some local music and then we'll try out the networked music as well.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
Seems to be working well so far.  It seems that I need a new switch. We think my cheapo router is causing some of the problems. Nicks server is fast!! Thanks Nick!

BillC

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »
This thread is getting scary... :shock:     8-[

kidding  :)

mostly...

Although I consider myself a quasi computer geek, I am dazed and confused (bring up background music) by the technical discussion and complexities raised in this thread.

And intrigued and somewhat challenged.  I have to hope that Rich's experiences are at least partially a function of his fairly sophisticated and complex setup.  And perhaps "new release" issues for the Duet.

I am glad that I plan to start with a simple one-computer setup.  It does work with an Atari, right?

:rofl:

Bill C

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 05:47:57 AM »
My strong suspicion based on what I've read here and elsewhere is that if you use it and install it as designed (HD on/in PC and not network drive, server software on PC and not on network disk, no 1000+ song playlists, etc.), it's pretty straightforward and works well.  As with all things, as you deviate from intended usage, issues occur that were not planned for during software design.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
I would have to say that most of the problems I had were due to my network not allowing all the Duet parts and NAS to stay connected. Carl and Nick were able to see that in contrast to their own networks which are without such problems.  With normal PC use my network was fine, but not for streaming or heavy time dependent responses like with the remote. For some reason, slim6 didn't care so much and never stumbled. But with Duet the network reliability and speed seems to be more important. If you have healthy network remote music files are no problem.  In fact, since switching to the linux server, the chokes have not happened as much, but it is all hearsay without statistics and timing repeated events.

Had this been AC or Slim forum I would have fully vetted every possible explanation and proven without a doubt that it was Duet fault before posting anything. But AN is for sharing nervosa, and this was a journey worthy of audio nervosa breakdowna... Every family has one hysterical nut, right?   :-P

I still haven't listened to the analogs! haha  We'll do that tomorrow with the gang.

ik632

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 08:08:47 AM »
Can one of you guys measure the voltage across the pins of the charging cradle. I know the current has to be less than 550ma to charge properly, but I don't know the voltage.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »
5.13VDC without load.  8)

The Duet has been rock solid since using Nick's Ubuntu server and upgrading my network router. Nicks server is still using the official SC release 7.0.0. Browsing to the remote NAS music files is quick enough, but could probably be slighty faster by storing music files on local PCI bus.

Phil

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 06:02:21 PM »
I'm thinking about this newfangled thing and I'm starting at the beginning by reading some of the information.  I've read some of the info on the logitech wiki and it is fine for a newbie like myself.  The only part that seems to have too many options is the software to rip CDs to flac.  I'd like an easy interface.  Clunky stuff drives me crazy. 

Do you need software that not only rips but also manages the collection, or do you use Squeezecenter for database management?

Thanks.

Phil

Bigfish8

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
I'm thinking about this newfangled thing and I'm starting at the beginning by reading some of the information.  I've read some of the info on the logitech wiki and it is fine for a newbie like myself.  The only part that seems to have too many options is the software to rip CDs to flac.  I'd like an easy interface.  Clunky stuff drives me crazy. 

Do you need software that not only rips but also manages the collection, or do you use Squeezecenter for database management?

Thanks.

Phil

Phil:

You do need software such as EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to enable you to rip your cds. to a hard drive.  Personally, I rip my music in .flac format as it is a lossless form of ripping the music files that takes less space than normal .wav format.  Once you have the music ripped to a hard drive Squeeze Center 7.0 will manage the music files.  You will be able to select an Artist, Genre or individual song using the Duet Controller.  I use a D-Link N Router to send my music by Wifi to a Squeezebox 3 (unit prior to the Duet) or you may chose to link from the computer to the Duet by an ethernet cable.

If you already have a wireless network set up in your home using a Duet or Squeezebox is very easy.  Once you set it up and use it you will be hooked on the convenience.

Good Luck,

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »
Phil
mgalusha recommended dbpoweramp as a CD ripper and i have been very happy with it. But now the trial has expired so I need to pay up. It is the fastest ripper I have used so far and it even checks its rip results against an external database of popular CDs. It compresses while the CD is being ripped. I am confident the rips are perfect when the disc allows. I have a really pesky CD that still has blips on it, but silent when played on CDP. The ripping software doesn't seem to matter, so I think the dumber CDP wins on that disk - PC is trying to be too perfect. ;)

Compressing ripped PCM to flac does have one "option" that you can change, but it only affects the speed of encoding/decoding vs. the compression size. Setting the encoder to setting #5 (Default) gives a very fast encode, and easy enough decode for SB/Duet to decode natively. If you have enough drive space to not care about additional slight space efficiency, then choose 5 and fuggetabouit. :)

I have also used EAC which is good when you need a very stubborn forensic strength ripper to scrounge data off of a really screwedup disc, it will get the most, but it is slow and clunky, IMO.   Easy CD-DA Extractor is easy to use, but I am not as confident of the rip results. I hear occasional blip in tracks ripped with it, and it also did not default to create tags by default, which I realized way to late. It can't confirm or guarantee a perfect rip like EAC or db.  Forget about Musicmatch, Windows Media, iTunes, etc. They are geared for least error messages, not perfect rips. Good enough for mp3s though, but db is still faster and lets you choose different mp3 compression algorithms. It is a ripper for grown ups. ;)

Like Ken said, any version of slimserver will manage your music files by scanning the music directory and logging tracks into its own database. It can only do this effectively if your songs have tags created inside them (aka metadata) because that is what is used to populate the database fields. So you can't organize wav files in the slim database because they have no tags. You should make sure your flacs are being created with tags. All flac compressors give you the option with or without, most are default to with, but check to be sure, it is easy to uncheck it by accident in some ripper GUIs.

EZ CD-DA and dbpoweramp are both ridiculously easy interface. Pure windows cartoon picture easy. dbpoweramp has particularly good popup help also. Hold your mouse over a strange looking button and the popup appears to explain what that button does. Like pie. EAC was not like that, to change from ripping mp3 to ripping flac involved manually editing the encoding command line which for flac was 50 plus characters. I kept the two strings saved in a file for easy pasting in, but that was ridiculous. I'm glad there are other developers with a sense of the real world. But EAC does have the bulldog instinct when needed.

The remote on the Duet is really an incredible boon to the audiophile. Once you try it, there's no going back! Have fun!!
Rich

Phil

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
Ken, Rich,

Thanks for the very helpful info.  I just orderd a wireless router from Qwest and think I'll get that going before I order the Duet.  I'm assuming ethernet would be better, but a wiring nightmare.

Seems like dbpoweramp is the ripper for me.  :lol:   And fllac setting #5 too.

I'm hoping the remote is wife friendly because I'd like her to use the system too.  I'm assuming that at first she will try the internet radio option, but perhaps eventually the rest of the capabilities. 

Phil

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 04:43:27 AM »
Wireless should work fine if not too far away from the "receiver" (DAC). Wireless has improved a lot in recent years. The remote is extremely easy to use and chic.  8) Supreme WAF.  Don't forget our AN sponsors when you are ready to buy your Duet!! ;)