Author Topic: Jive, SB4, now DUET!  (Read 18829 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Jive, SB4, now DUET!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 06:15:40 AM »
So don't you need to be running the SqueezeCenter 7 beta for the Jive remote to work or is it working against 6.5?

Sounds like the remote is something I'm definitely going to want once it's available...
You have to use 7 (still in Beta but downloadable and stable) which is causing my NAS friends fits.  If you use a PC as your Slimserver, the update is painless.

I can't see not having it now.  If I'm on the deck and want to change the channel... and need a flashlight... this remote is your friend. ;)

Seriously having a non-line-of-site remote that works ANYwhere in or around the house is very cool... the fact that it shows what's playing, let's you browse your music, shows photos of the albums, etc... It's "all that"..
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:19:33 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 04:20:13 PM »
So don't you need to be running the SqueezeCenter 7 beta for the Jive remote to work or is it working against 6.5?

Sounds like the remote is something I'm definitely going to want once it's available...

Maybe you can get one for $20? ;)  http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=821.0

ik632

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:25 PM »
I'm still waiting for the FreeNAS/SlimNAS version to come out so I can update my server as well.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »
I'm hoping it'll all come together in February.  New NAS software... Duet release.. etc.. If it doesn't I'll be pretty surprised.
-C

ik632

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
I'll still use SlimNAS so I need to wait for Michael Herger to finish the installer. I've seen plenty of screen shots of SC and I like it, I just don't want to make the jump with my stuff yet.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »
NOW Duet!

Slim is now accepting pre-orders for Feb. delivery.

https://secure.slimdevices.com/order/index.cgi

I just ordered. :D
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Receiver is here.. and updates...
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2008, 06:38:39 AM »
The receiver is here... and to my surprise so is a new remote.  The remote might fix a few things the beta testers have noted but all Logitech says is that it has 'improved wireless range'.  I'll be interested to see if it works better than before... 'BLuisana' has the Jive at the moment and was having some NAS issues... I'll either get the battery/charger from him and try again or see if he can test it.  (Quick definition: Jive=Remote, Receiver=Player with no display... Jive+Receiver=Duet)

The receiver requires use of the remote to set it up.  I guess they're paired somehow.  There's no way to setup the device on my network without it... So, I won't be able to compare it until I get the remote.

The receiver/new remote requires the latest software from Slim.  The receiver won't work on releases before 1/5/08.

I'm not sure where Slim is on the NAS software... Does anyone know?  If so, please post some links and suggestions about Slim/Logi's NAS solution.

They're uploading new server-based software every night here: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/ The updates will be frequent for the next 2-4 weeks according to the letter.  They're definitely getting close to releasing this... I'm amazed at the amount of work that's going into this launch... and the amount of community participation.

-Carl

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:40:29 AM by Carlman »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 07:40:28 AM »
Infrant is pretty good about providing slimserver updates for their ReadyNAS once the software is out of beta and classified as official release. But nothing before then. I will use the PC until the NAS catches up. I wonder if the new slimserver will make my NAS even slower.  :?

ik632

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 05:14:14 AM »
I just ordered an Intel mini-itx board to test this on. It's 1.33ghz mobile Celeron that should pull about 10 watts for the whole board. The only problem is this board only has 1 ide channel (so 2 ide devices) and no SATA. I'll need to add a pci SATA board for the other drives. Once I get the hardware I'll document the build in the PC hardware section as to not clutter this post up.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 06:21:44 AM »
Sounds interesting, Nick.. .looking forward to it. :)
-C