Author Topic: Analog to digital converter needed  (Read 4584 times)

ik632

Analog to digital converter needed
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:46:36 AM »
My wife bought me a Wii for my birthday/father's day and I'm very happy with it. It's a lot of fun. The issue I have is that I can purchase a component video cable for HD, this is fine, but there is only analog l/r output for sound. My switcher can stitch analog sound, but it works automatic if it has digital audio.

So, I'm looking for an analog to digital converter that I can hook up to the output on the Wii to convert the l/r analog to digital audio (spdif) and pass that through my switcher. I know it's not audophile quality, but it saves me from having to switch sources.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Analog to digital converter needed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »
Yeah, that really would be a tragic inconvenience to have to switch sources manually  ;)  haha

But here's something that might work for ya.

It looks cheap and junky, and not even available to buy it yet, but there's probably other brands out there along the same idea.  You might wanna look for opinions on the web before buying. RAM usually is OK.
Rich

ik632

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:27:35 AM »
I played around a bit last night and got it down to a single button press to change from DVR to Wii. Next step is to get the Wii working on the projector (I think I might need the component cable).

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:34:16 AM »
I didn't even know that the Wii had HD output at all. I think we are using composite through the front panel inputs. The kids could care less.

Do you have Mario Cart?  :D

ik632

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:05:40 AM »
The standard output is 480i and with the component cable you get 480p (so double the lines of resolution). I don't think it's a whole lot better, but I need to determine if I can get the output of component and svideo or regular video.

ik632

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:39:59 AM »
I got it working so that I just change the source on the receiver and everything switches. I'm relatively happy now. Now I need to get the projector and screen mounted more reasonably.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:23:45 PM »
Using component? :D

I was at a friends house yesterday, setting up his new HT stuff. He has a Polaroid DVD player, cost him $20. The composite output was richly colored but blurry, ghosts, yuk.  Component sharpened a lot, but color was washed out, lots of grain and 100 diagonal stripes across the screen.  Sometimes a nice cable isn't enough. Blue jeans cheapest component is $45, same as a new LG player with HDMI output from the rat. Composite from the Wii looks good on ours, even switching video in the receiver using the stock Wii cable.

ik632

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 01:16:41 PM »
Yeah, the stock cables look good enough. My projector was acting up a little so I'm going to hold off on the cables for now. I'm actually holding off on the entire thing until the digital cable/tv stuff gets sorted out. When that's done, I'll buy a new TV, projector, and receiver and then be set for sure  8)