Author Topic: Inexpensive USB DAC/Preamp for a Desktop PC System  (Read 6801 times)

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
Inexpensive USB DAC/Preamp for a Desktop PC System
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:48:13 AM »
I'll often listen to streaming music, Itunes or samplings on Amazon.com on my PC Desktop system. I want to replace my adequate sounding but buggy M-Audio Audiophile USB DAC. The sonics are currently satisfying, but I can't tolerate the software problems any longer.

I am considering the Fubar III DAC/Heaphone amp for around $220. The manufacturer just confirmed (in a rather broken-english email communication) that the volume control does control the line out, so it appears to perfectly fit my needs.

Anyone have experience with the Fubar or other comperable units?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Inexpensive USB DAC/Preamp for a Desktop PC System
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:01:10 AM »
http://www.firestone-audio.com/cgi-bin/product.asp?pdtseqnm=14

Never heard of it, but looks interesting....

I like the "Anti-Dummy" Power supply protection.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »
I'm fast becoming a believer in the PS Audio DLIII but I'm not sure if that would be considered inexpensive to you or not.

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 07:14:07 PM »
I think the PS unit is ~$1K, so that would be several times my inexpensive threshold. The M-audio unit was about $110 and was acceptable sonically for what I want, paired with a Sonic Impact T-amp no less. Not bad at all, and was still better with my Monarchy SM-70 Pro, until I took a sledge hammer to the M-audio dac one day.

Chris

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
The Cayin iDac is also a bit above your inexpensive threshold... but it does its job rather well...

I've had a few issues with the M-Audio DAC that came as part of my Rives Audio measuring kit.  Not my favorite DAC at all even though it does a decent job of passing audio out of a laptop to systems...

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »
There's a lot of interesting reviews out on head-fi.org on DACs with headphone capability... worth checking out if you haven't been there.