Author Topic: Intel D201GLY mini-itx board build  (Read 20443 times)

ik632

Re: Intel D201GLY mini-itx board build
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »
We've already got a laptop but the goal is to get the system less and less computer centric. My wife likes and allows the SqueezeBox because it doesn't look like a computer or work like a computer (to her). She just browses to whatever suits her mood and then goes from there. We're also on this kick to reduce energy expenditure so a 20watt computer seams like a good solution.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »
Bye bye single line display.   :D

I'm all for that, especially since my single line display is actually only a half line display when I have font maxxed so I can see it across the room.  :shock:

Can't wait for the Duet!

miklorsmith

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 01:21:41 PM »
I understand getting out from under the computer.  There's too much of it around already.  Doing the cost vs. function analysis of the laptop vs. Duet remote made for an easy decision.  Cost came out about the same.

ik632

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 05:42:35 AM »
Quick update.

I've been using the machine as the primary house computer for the last week or so and it appears to be more than adequate. My wife even commented that the computer room was quieter (since this board only has a small on board fan and nothing really noisy). You do notice the processor intensive things that cause it to lag a little (mostly flash in Firefox). I probably won't get a chance to do any SqueezeCenter testing until later next week, but I wanted to give a quick note on the ongoing testing.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 06:25:32 AM »
Nice. Looking forward to see how it handles SlimCenter.  Are you just running an external USB disk or what?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
Good to know. My duet showed up yesterday and requires SqueezeCenter, which wont run on my NAS yet (I think) so I'm lookin for a music PC. Thanks for the update.

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 11:07:45 AM »
Good to know. My duet showed up yesterday and requires SqueezeCenter, which wont run on my NAS yet (I think) so I'm lookin for a music PC. Thanks for the update.

No worries Rich, just send me your Duet, I have a music server it will run on.  :rofl:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »
Send it in for the royal mgalusha upgrade treatment? You just name the day. ;)

ik632

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 06:39:48 AM »
Right now I'm using an external USB DVD-RW. The only thing I don't like about the board is that it only has 1 ide channel (so 2 devices). It has 2 external usb ports and 2 headers (for 4 more ports) so essentially you could run plenty of external usb devices. I plan on getting a PCI-SATA card and running some esata drives for a server.

Next weekend when I have some time to sit and think I'll install FreeNAS and SlimServer for SC. This should all fit on a 1gb memory stick I have sitting here.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »
Next weekend when I have some time to sit and think I'll install FreeNAS and SlimServer for SC. This should all fit on a 1gb memory stick I have sitting here.

I'm interested in that path. Hey Nick does anybody make a (smallish) audio recording program for linux? Redbook wav is good enough. Thanks
Rich

ik632

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 09:27:20 AM »
Are you looking to record from analog (record) to the machine? I think there was a whole suite of recording programs out there but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 12:07:39 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking I could make a audio processor with NAS for storage, flash drive for OS and programs. Then i could stream music to SB from NAS, and stream recorded analog from my radio to NAS. But then the recording hardware needs to be close to the processor (USB cable length) which means the processor can't go anywhere on the LAN and must be quiet to be near the stereo. A laptop is a better solution for recording. I have a decent firewire recorder I can leave setup at the stereo.