Author Topic: need suggestions for cd and cassette player  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
need suggestions for cd and cassette player
« on: March 03, 2023, 12:36:46 PM »
I have a dear friend who just texted me that she wants to buy a CD player and maybe a cassette player too. She has an integrated. It’s a cheapie and sounds muffled most of the time. She’s not an audiophile in the least, but just loves listening to music. Her budget is $500.

I found this very nice deal on Audio Advisor for a Denon, integrated with cd player and other capabilities.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1DERCDN10

She’d be much better off with a unit like this, but I still want to solicit some suggestions. I’m sure there are combinations cd, and cassette players out there, but they are likely just pieces of junk. I just started searching and any suggestions are welcome.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: need suggestions for cd and cassette player
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 01:06:27 PM »
Not a bad choice on your part.

However if you can obtain a TEAC AD 850 SE CD and Cassette Player, it cost but a fraction over 500, *BUT* not only does it have cd and cassette deck, it has USB!

Not to mention Teac gear is hard to come by and in general good quality.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 02:05:55 PM »
I think what you’ve chosen fits the bill nicely. I am the ‘audio guy’ for family and friends, and have done what you’re doing many times. Simple is good- a single box solution would fit her needs and is probably better in SQ than whatever cheapie she currently owns.
The minimalist front won’t be intimidating, and it has some streaming capabilities too.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 02:48:26 PM »
I think what you’ve chosen fits the bill nicely. I am the ‘audio guy’ for family and friends, and have done what you’re doing many times. Simple is good- a single box solution would fit her needs and is probably better in SQ than whatever cheapie she currently owns.
The minimalist front won’t be intimidating, and it has some streaming capabilities too.
+1
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 03:33:15 PM »
I’ll search for that Teac unit, but then she’s still stuck with that cheapie integrated. If she gets the Denon, I can persuade her to eventually get better 2 way speakers. I think she’d really enjoy the improved sound.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 09:43:30 AM »
I would definitely look used, especially since sound quality probably doesn;t matter too much. Almost anything that is functional would do.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 10:23:14 AM »
I would definitely look used, especially since sound quality probably doesn;t matter too much. Almost anything that is functional would do.

Not sure where to look for used lowfi/midfi… don’t think my friend wants ebay. That Denon unit might work as it appears the remote has tone control capabilities. She definitely still wants a cassette player, so I’ll check cheapie 7nits, Onkyo etc
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 10:49:25 AM »
It’s nice to see people still interested in cassette decks. I have a few and just received my Nakamichi. I think your original choice is a great idea. You can grab a cassette deck fairly easily and for really good prices. I picked up a newer Sony in like new condition for $20 at a thrift store.
I would recommend checking out your local Craigslist for cassette a deck.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 12:52:36 PM »
It’s nice to see people still interested in cassette decks. I have a few and just received my Nakamichi. I think your original choice is a great idea. You can grab a cassette deck fairly easily and for really good prices. I picked up a newer Sony in like new condition for $20 at a thrift store.
I would recommend checking out your local Craigslist for cassette a deck.

I couldn’t find a decent new cassette deck. I’ve passed along these suggestions to my friend. She also loves finding stuff in thrift stores.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 01:31:50 PM »
I wouldn’t bother with a new one. You can get a decent used but not too old Sony or Pioneer used for about $50. Be careful though now as cassette decks are becoming much more popular again and prices are going up.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 06:51:14 PM »
I wouldn’t bother with a new one. You can get a decent used but not too old Sony or Pioneer used for about $50. Be careful though now as cassette decks are becoming much more popular again and prices are going up.

Haven’t heard back from my friend. If she can’t find a deck locally in our small town, she’ll find something in nearby Vegas. She’s a bloodhound sniffing out great deals…
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS