Author Topic: Hoping to learn a little here  (Read 1162 times)

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Hoping to learn a little here
« on: December 16, 2023, 10:14:58 AM »
I purchased the demo Orchard Audio Ultra DMC V1 tour amp at what I consider a decent price. In thinking about upgrading the binding posts took the cover off and started assessing the terrain noticed the posts are connected to the board via slip on. The board male piece and the slip on female look to be the same material and would like to know what that material is? I go to all these extents to try and get the best interconnect and posts yet the slip on just doesn't look like a material I would think of as great quality. Am I knitpickin here? Does that connection mean that much overall? Is there a better slip on than generic? Would a solid copper, gold plated binding post be better than the brass in this situation?

Thanks guys
Don
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 06:30:06 PM by dflee »
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
Re: Hoping to learn a little here
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 03:27:43 PM »
Welcome to the Orchard. Why not ask Leo?
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Nick B

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 11:14:48 AM »
I’d be very curious to know as well. My Orchard Starkrimson is a great amp, but most of us are trying to squeeze every bit of performance out of our gear.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »
I purchased the demo Orchard Audio Ultra DMC V1 tour amp at what I consider a decent price. In thinking about upgrading the binding posts took the cover off and started assessing the terrain noticed the posts are connected to the board via slip on. The board male piece and the slip on female look to be the same material and would like to know what that material is? I go to all these extents to try and get the best interconnect and posts yet the slip on just doesn't look like a material I would think of as great quality. Am I knitpickin here? Does that connection mean that much overall? Is there a better slip on than generic? Would a solid copper, gold plated binding post be better than the brass in this situation?

Thanks guys
Don
Of course you are nit picking here, because you are, after all, Nit the Magnificaent!

It is what we do: we tweak for the 1%.  Not a big deal, but do it 10 times and you might get a 10% (or greater) improvement.

Personally, I would never use spade connectors for any application in audio that demands SQ.  If you want to make a good connection, use a method that excludes oxygen.  At very least I would clean the connections and use some of that graphene contact treatment I sent you.

Me?  I would do what I always do:  look for the purest copper content, low mass connectors available and solder them with lead free solder, at very least.

Of course... this means you have to flex your soldering skills.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 04:04:17 PM »

Thanks guys
Don
Of course you are nit picking here, because you are, after all, Nit the Magnificaent!

It is what we do: we tweak for the 1%.  Not a big deal, but do it 10 times and you might get a 10% (or greater) improvement.

Personally, I would never use spade connectors for any application in audio that demands SQ.  If you want to make a good connection, use a method that excludes oxygen.  At very least I would clean the connections and use some of that graphene contact treatment I sent you.

Me?  I would do what I always do:  look for the purest copper content, low mass connectors available and solder them with lead free solder, at very least.

Of course... this means you have to flex your soldering skills.

Per Triode Pete. Best solder,

Quad Eutectic Solder patented by Western Electric... http://www.cardas.com/solder.php
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 12:56:55 PM »

Thanks guys
Don

I don't think you are nit picking Don. I have seen/heard just one part make or break a system.

If one goes from brass to "copper", from rhodium to "copper", or added 12pf across a 47ufd poly capacitor, 
and clearly heard a sonic difference.

Just my thoughts

steve
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 01:06:34 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 02:09:52 PM »
Not a fan of most commercial binding posts.  Here are the ones that I prefer:

https://eti-research.com/binding-posts/

The Faston terminals on the amp are tin plated brass.  The binding posts you ordered are copper.  The connectors that you ordered are directly plated gold on copper.  Hook them up and hear.  That is the only way to know.

Basically, what Steve said!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:31:11 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 10:19:01 PM »
Not a fan of most commercial binding posts.  Here are the ones that I prefer:

https://eti-research.com/binding-posts/

The Faston terminals on the amp are tin plated brass.  The binding posts you ordered are copper.  The connectors that you ordered are directly plated gold on copper.  Hook them up and hear.  That is the only way to know.

Basically, what Steve said!  :thumb:

What nice quality on the ETI, especially the silver plating over tellurium copper and cryoed as well. I really appreciate companies that make quality products….
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 08:55:46 PM »
I should have read all the posts closer. I meant no offense Dave.

Cheers and all the best.

steve
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 08:57:59 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 09:18:22 PM »
I should have read all the posts closer. I meant no offense Dave.

Cheers and all the best.

steve
There was no offense taken!  :thumb: