Author Topic: it ain't audio but sure is cute!  (Read 10412 times)

shep

it ain't audio but sure is cute!
« on: February 14, 2008, 10:48:17 AM »
I had a friend bring me a new laptop from New York, the tiny-weeny Asus eeepc. It's a joy.
I'm a convert to Linux and this machine proves the point; fast, stable and always working at it's best.
Anyone else got one? I'll bet I'm not alone. I'm serious annoyed about my audio experience at present, so I'll
just change the subject for a while :shock:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: it ain't audio but sure is cute!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:02:33 PM »
Shep, I gotta get a new PC. Recent windows updates have slowed things way down on mine and my wifes PCs which are very different. What kinda lunux are you running and it is as full functioned as Windows? I wanna try Mac or Linux next. I think I will make an old PC into a Linux box for Slimserver and to get to learn it a little.

shep

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:39:24 AM »
hi Rich. The linux on this machine is a somewhat tailored version of Xandros. It isn't a very good distro.
I found the best of all to be PCLINUX. Very user friendly, easy to install. Over here it is usually on offer in a linux computer mag. (of which there are many every month) and costs maybe 20$ with the mag. Linux has come of age!
Windows slowing down is usually due to not doing regular reg. cleaning and all the rest of the junk that accumulates. XP service pack2 is still the most reliable Windows to date. I don't know what, if anything, the latest service pack3 brings.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 04:56:56 AM »
I am SP2, I will try cleaning it out, but I do that once a month, but can;t remember last time. Thanks
Rich

ik632

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
PCLinux is very good. I have been using OpenSuse 10.2 on my desktop and was running Debian on my server/media center but have switched that to FreeBSD (Unix). The default install of Xandros on the EeePC is more than adequate to get your feet wet in the Linux arena. You can even switch it back to the standard KDE (that's the Windows like interface) so that it looks and feels familiar and reduces the learning curve. It would be fun to pick up one of these to play with.

On another note, it doesn't come with a spinning hard disk so it could be a good candidate for a silent media machine (playing Foobar or something similar). Foobar should be able to be emulated with Wine.

Dougie085

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:21:16 PM »
Best and easiest to use linux distro by far is Ubuntu. It's got auto updates and is quite stable. Much more so then windows :)