Author Topic: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?  (Read 16268 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2022, 02:54:51 PM »
Ok then… I know what I like- and that’s how I ‘voice’ my system. I will admit that I rarely go to live shows- I love classical music, but I’m generally not able to afford them either monetarily or time-wise- working two jobs on Long Island rarely affords me the time back and forth to the city…
I also love older jazz- but most of those guys are dead, so I just make do with CD’s, LP’s, or streaming. I can’t replicate them to live…
I also like rock- those shows I do go to occasionally, and for the most part, they universally sound like shit; way overamplified for whatever venue they are in. Even many vaunted venues- The Egg in Albany, Westbury Music Fair or whatever it’s called now, even Jones Beach- how can they mess that up? It’s outdoors and still amplified, distorted, and loud beyond belief.
So… I voice my system to the warmer side of reality as I know it, because that’s my preference, and also pick components that will comfortably play at + 100db levels. I say that because I rarely listen ‘critically’ in a sweet spot- my system is in my living room, and I just have it on when I’m home and want to ‘crank it’ and hear it wherever. I’ve got good enough equipment that the ‘sweet spot’ doesn’t disappoint when I’m in the mood for some critical listening.
Nth degree of anything is beyond my ken, and the perfect is the enemy of the good.
My 30 watts…
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
Hi steve.

Peace is something I already have, but remain open-minded to disseminate it wherever my mind my happen to roam.

I believe you and I "agree", fundamentally. Even we don't, we can "agree to disagree".

To your last statement "....but used what you stated as well as what you did not state, page after page omissions. " Please think about that some more and ask yourself if you think using what someone does *not* state is wise. I have good reason to believe (and know) you would lose in both the court of public opinion and court of law if it came down to it.

Side note is that it's not just post 28/29 that's in question. All of the reply numbers as indicated on this site are off (at least by 1 in this thread). This is why I state that moderators and/or admins would need to get involved, assuming they care to do so.

Best.

Hal

Law was one of my minors gdhal, besides engineering, physics, math etc, etc,
so you are not intimidating anyone. I do sincerely feel sorry that you are hurting yourself.

I am glad you posted positive voicing electronics, and we were able to reach an agreement. 

Cheers

steve
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:05:59 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2022, 03:53:54 PM »
Hi steve.

Peace is something I already have, but remain open-minded to disseminate it wherever my mind my happen to roam.

I believe you and I "agree", fundamentally. Even we don't, we can "agree to disagree".

To your last statement "....but used what you stated as well as what you did not state, page after page omissions. " Please think about that some more and ask yourself if you think using what someone does *not* state is wise. I have good reason to believe (and know) you would lose in both the court of public opinion and court of law if it came down to it.

Side note is that it's not just post 28/29 that's in question. All of the reply numbers as indicated on this site are off (at least by 1 in this thread). This is why I state that moderators and/or admins would need to get involved, assuming they care to do so.

Best.

Hal

Law was one of my minors gdhal, besides engineering, physics, math, other elective courses etc,
so you are not intimidating anyone. I do sincerely feel sorry that you are hurting yourself.

I am glad you posted positive voicing electronics, and we were able to reach an agreement. 

Cheers

steve

Steve, it is obvious you are intent on having the proverbial last word. I have no problem with that. If, as you state, law was one of your minors, then certainly you know I'm correct! No intimidation intended. Just relaying facts.

Best.

Hal

EDIT (minutes after initial post): side note and no obligation...could/would you provide the name of just one customer of yours (i.e. an individual that purchased one or more of your products) and who needed service, and received service, and was then satisfied. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do tell... Now, if on the other hand your gear was/is so great that it never needed any kind of servicing, please provide one character reference  of a person who purchased one or more of your products and had an epiphany once he/she realized how *grate* the gear is AND how *grateful* they were to have come into your consciousness.   PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do tell..
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 04:06:31 PM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2022, 07:57:45 PM »
Law was one of my minors gdhal, besides engineering, physics, math, other elective courses etc,

Cheers

steve
[/quote]

Steve, it is obvious you are intent on having the proverbial last word. I have no problem with that. If, as you state, law was one of your minors, then certainly you know I'm correct! No intimidation intended. Just relaying facts.

Best.

Hal

EDIT (minutes after initial post): side note and no obligation...could/would you provide the name of just one customer of yours (i.e. an individual that purchased one or more of your products) and who needed service, and received service, and was then satisfied. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do tell... Now, if on the other hand your gear was/is so great that it never needed any kind of servicing, please provide one character reference  of a person who purchased one or more of your products and had an epiphany once he/she realized how *grate* the gear is AND how *grateful* they were to have come into your consciousness.   PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do tell..
[/quote]

I was closing out with we agreed,   
but you posted this past post with
your sarcasm at its finest gdhal.

I have a list of reviews on another string somewhere. Search and you shall find.

Catagories include Phd, Dr., Attorney, Professional reviewer who accept no advertising, teacher,
and a number of audiophiles who have tested my components.

Cheers

steve

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:24:12 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2022, 09:22:40 PM »
Steve, I was literally in the middle of reading your last post - which initially was many paragraphs longer filled with names of folks, companies, more details etc - when you edited it down to just a few paragraphs.

That's fine.

All I read had to do with "reviewers" of some sort or another. I was curious if you have and would provide contact credentials (name, with either an email address or phone number) of someone who *purchased* your gear.

Thank you.

Best

Hal
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:24:31 PM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »
Steve, I was literally in the middle of reading your last post - which initially was many paragraphs longer filled with names of folks, companies, more details etc - when you edited it down to just a few paragraphs.

That's fine.

All I read had to do with "reviewers" of some sort or another. I was curious if you have and would provide contact credentials (name, with either an email address or phone number) of someone who *purchased* your gear.

Thank you.

Best

Hal

I would have to receive their permission before giving names with email addresses out in public.

If you are still interested, I will post the reviews again. They really are good, decent, educated people.

Cheers and all the best.

steve
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 11:03:22 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2022, 11:11:12 PM »
Hi Steve, I was wondering what you consider the best way of implementing a
volume control in a preamp or system as whole.
 In my opinion this is unfortunately one of weakest points in an audio system
as well as being a necessary evil. The damage the volume control can do to the dynamic
life of the music and its negative effect on the size of the sound stage and 3 dimensionality
is a rather aggravating problem.
Scotty

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2022, 02:20:03 AM »

I would have to receive their permission before giving names with email addresses out in public.

If you are still interested, I will post the reviews again. They really are good, decent, educated people.

Cheers and all the best.

steve

I'm not interested in a review coming from you, which albeit may be quoting someone else. I would be interested in communicating with a customer of yours. Customer in this context I define as someone who considers themself a customer, not someone who you consider a customer. This means someone who paid legal tender to you (at any price point). 

To your point about having to receive said customer's permission to disseminate their contact data, that is definitely fair. It's also rather ethical of you, so on that basis that does lend some credibility to your moral character, IMO. To adequately address your point, I'll give you my email address (which is already in my profile). Kindly pass my email address to as many of your customers as you like and ask that they contact me. I don't imagine I'll be reading, let alone hearing after I then provide my number, from anyone.

Best.

Hal
houseofhal@juno.com
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:49:52 AM by GDHAL »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2022, 08:32:09 AM »
  Good question Scotty. Hal I believe Audioreview.com and audioinsurgence did a review. I goggled it.

charles
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 08:34:37 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2022, 08:59:15 AM »
  Good question Scotty. Hal I believe Audioreview.com and audioinsurgence did a review. I goggled it.

charles

Thanks, Charles. IMO a "review" (often performed by a person whose been paid or given some incentive) is not the same thing as a "customer" (who has paid and hasn't been offered any incentive). Night and day difference.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2022, 09:39:08 AM »

Cheers and all the best.

steve

I'm not interested in a review coming from you, which albeit may be quoting someone else. I would be interested in communicating with a customer of yours. Customer in this context I define as someone who considers themself a customer, not someone who you consider a customer. This means someone who paid legal tender to you (at any price point). 

To your point about having to receive said customer's permission to disseminate their contact data, that is definitely fair. It's also rather ethical of you, so on that basis that does lend some credibility to your moral character, IMO. To adequately address your point, I'll give you my email address (which is already in my profile). Kindly pass my email address to as many of your customers as you like and ask that they contact me. I don't imagine I'll be reading, let alone hearing after I then provide my number, from anyone.

Best.

Hal
houseofhal@juno.com

Just remember your 4 fingers pointing back at you gdhal.

However, right on this forum, new member introductions GJM.

https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=7095.msg105036#msg105036

cheers

steve
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2022, 09:59:28 AM »
@steve

Tell you what to give you the benefit of the doubt seeing that you didn't do what I asked you to do I reached out to gjm with both my email and phone number let's see if he contacts me.

Also I've attached the photo of the four fingers you allude to, pointing back at me. Do you recognize them?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »

charles

Thanks, Charles. IMO a "review" (often performed by a person whose been paid or given some incentive) is not the same thing as a "customer" (who has paid and hasn't been offered any incentive). Night and day difference.

Just as an fyi, many moons ago…starting in the 90s I think… I used to subscribe to a publication called Bound for Sound written by Marty deWulf. Marty practiced law in Illinois as I recall. He did one or two reviews on the 10A and 11A preamps and that’s when I first heard of Steve and his products.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »

charles

Hi Charles,

I saw the audio insurgence review, it was part of X magazine getting back at me after they had ball peened
my test 10A line preamplifier because I would not sell it to them for $300.00.

This article is the second time, and there was a third time, as well as another rag for a year+ on AC forum,

By the way, the 11A is one chassis, not four chassis as the article falsely claims. How could they get that
wrong. The rest of the article is similar fiction, so I would not put too much faith in it.

On AC, I was setting up a group audition of the 11A in Milwaukee for the "next" week. I asked the group for no
"professional" reviewers, just a group of individuals. The audition was set up, and the very night before, the
author of this article emails me that he is a reviewer. I should have cancelled, but foolishly did not.
I just new the screw was coming.

When I arrived at the gents house, the audio room was not even finished. It was quite large, no furnishings
except a couch, hard walls and hardwood floors. No room treatments at all. The ic from preamplifier to amp
was some 25 feet or more long.

At 30pf per foot, a total of 750pf, close to a 0,001uf capacitor (uf terms might be easier to understand).
Try sticking that size capacitor across the output of your amplifier let alone a preamplifier and hear what
happens. It takes high current. Even 25pf/foot we are talking 625pf, or .000625uf.

Of course the day was a disaster, yet the author wrote this fictional article. 

By the way, I never received another call from that way concerning my products.

Sometime before this, I had been to a shootout of 2 modified SS amps at Audio Jerry's house. I had brought
along my 10A line preamplifier. After supper, we replaced the Eastern Electric Minimax with NOS tubes with my 10A
using modern tubes. Jerry's system sounded pretty descent as is by the way.

There is a string, I believe started by Audio Jerry with Earlmarc etc on Audio Circle Forum. Tube section.

Anyway, you now know what happened behind the scenes that inspired the fictional article. All because I would
not sell my test 10A line preamplifier for $300.00 a few years earlier.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:01:32 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2022, 10:24:20 AM »
@steve

Tell you what to give you the benefit of the doubt seeing that you didn't do what I asked you to do I reached out to gjm with both my email and phone number let's see if he contacts me.

Also I've attached the photo of the four fingers you allude to, pointing back at me. Do you recognize them?

The string is his so you can read and post to him, or pm him.

Cheers

steve
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 11:03:57 AM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage