Author Topic: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?  (Read 16372 times)

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
Re: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2022, 07:48:03 PM »
Enough about your 10 A or 11 A being perfect what are we children?
Who would make such a claim.....? insanity...

If your 10A or 11A was so perfect why do we not see so many people loving it or buying it.
Cmon be realistic.

It was a simple circuit built in your kitchen in a simple chassis with so so workmanship.
No one is perfect and no thing is perfect
a little humility shows you are human and a serious person
and they have medicine for Aspergers...this I know well....

I'm  done with this topic its become silly

mike
System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2022, 07:54:14 PM »
@TopRound

I agree. Topic has become silly and I too am done.

@Steve

Thanks for the photos. I've attached one of my own. You'll note that what you posted as post 28 for you, is post 29 for me. This is rather strange and something for the moderators and/or site admins to weigh in on, look into, explain, etc.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2022, 10:54:35 PM »
Enough about your 10 A or 11 A being perfect what are we children?
Who would make such a claim.....? insanity...

If your 10A or 11A was so perfect why do we not see so many people loving it or buying it.
Cmon be realistic.

It was a simple circuit built in your kitchen in a simple chassis with so so workmanship.
No one is perfect and no thing is perfect
a little humility shows you are human and a serious person
and they have medicine for Aspergers...this I know well....

I'm  done with this topic its become silly

mike
Mike, we have all been here. These things grow tiresome and suck the joy out of this forum.  Unfortunately, new members with opinions seem to get subjected to the rite of initiation, one way or another. It is the same old "you're dumb and I'm not" pedantic criticism.

Gets old. :(
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2022, 07:03:03 AM »
From P.I.

Mike, we have all been here. These things grow tiresome and suck the joy out of this forum.  Unfortunately, new members with opinions seem to get subjected to the rite of initiation, one way or another. It is the same old "you're dumb and I'm not" pedantic criticism.

Gets old. :(

--------------

Actually, from my perspective - and I think all members have already deduced I am *not* a "newbie" to audio, as well as public forums - I don't mind so much the "you're dumb and I'm not pedantic criticism". Instead, and what I do mind, is any intentional dissemination of inaccurate information, innuendos directed at a particular member, and blatant lying, knowingly or unknowingly.

My idea of participating in this forum is tantamount to listening to new (to me) live recordings. Most of it goes in one ear and out the other. However, once in a while I'll come across a true gem of music, or in the case of this forum, information, that makes it worthwhile.

I'll add that I have a rather peculiar sense of humor. Many times I read posts that literally have me belly aching on the floor with laughter. Which I view as a good thing.

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe, But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride." - Hell in a Bucket - Grateful Dead
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2022, 08:20:40 AM »
Steve I am not misleading the public, every audiophile worth his salt knows what I am talking about.
I am not using this forum to sell gear or talk about how great my gear is......
People in the Rave group were exposed to tons of gear and the nature of the rave was to experiment and drink... :beer:

The topic is what is your philosophy for voicing a system, not sure its really considered a philosophy but more a system used to attain the results one wishes. To be honest the only system we have to do this is to try different gear, and the only tool we REALLY use is our ears.

If you hear your system and you don't like it but a friend or oscilloscope tells you its great, but you still don't like it
what do you do? Sell everything and start a new hobby?
No, we ourselves know full well what we like, stats and figures are used to try and sell stuff , that's it....

and YES we do use our preamp to color(voice) our systems, otherwise we'd just use passive volume controls. Have you ever used one? Sometimes they can work great in a system and sometimes they suck the life out it. Clean yes, but stripped of emotion they can be, so we fill it up with our delicious 6sn7's that impart such beauty when rendered correctly.

Am I biased? Of course, everyone is biased in the direction they like. You're biased in speaking about how well your gear measures, why? To sell it! We get it. But no one voices a system by electrical measurements but only by their ears.

I think if people would stop thinking in terms of measurements and just used their ears the hobby might grow,(nah)
When you say your preamp imparts no sonic change to the original, that's a sales pitch, of course it does, a signal going through wire and caps and resistors and tubes has no change? Then why add the piece to the system, it does nothing then become an expensive volume control, a $10 alps at that. I say nonsense and you should know better.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass but we are all experienced audiophiles, why do we act like we are new at this?

Steve , you don't know me, I am a pain in the ass and will eventually get banned, but I am speaking honestly and I hope this site is not censored like Audio Circle and that free speech is allowed.

You are just fine Mike.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2022, 08:26:09 AM »
@steve

Kindly do not misquote me. You just wrote ">>Hal doesn't believe you have to voice the electronics at all, which includes the amp"

I'm going to remain "kind" towards you, but only for so long. I've been messaged privately from folks on this forum having to do specifically with you and it didn't shed light on anything that I hadn't already surmised just by reading your posts. But if you are going to continue to intentionally misrepresent and misquote me in particular by name, then I am going to be private messaging moderators to ask that you be banned from this forum on the basis of intentionally lying, and promotion of defamation of character.

Thank you.
Hal

p.s. so you and others should be perfectly clear, and as I repeatedly agreed, an amplifier or any piece of electronics *does* have impact on the "voicing" of a system. However, if you look/read back on *all* of my posts here in this thread, you'll notice as to where I place that on the pecking order. It's very very far down after many other things. So yes, it matters. But in the grand scheme of things it matters like toenail fungus matters to the health of your entire body.

Best.

Hal

NO ONE GETS BANNED. We know how that works from the AudioSyndrome BS. We have no more Club.  An Amp IMHO can have serious impact. The Amp/Speaker combo is a critical factor in synergy. Planars especially.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2022, 08:46:14 AM »
@steve

Kindly do not misquote me. You just wrote ">>Hal doesn't believe you have to voice the electronics at all, which includes the amp"

I'm going to remain "kind" towards you, but only for so long. I've been messaged privately from folks on this forum having to do specifically with you and it didn't shed light on anything that I hadn't already surmised just by reading your posts. But if you are going to continue to intentionally misrepresent and misquote me in particular by name, then I am going to be private messaging moderators to ask that you be banned from this forum on the basis of intentionally lying, and promotion of defamation of character.

Thank you.
Hal

p.s. so you and others should be perfectly clear, and as I repeatedly agreed, an amplifier or any piece of electronics *does* have impact on the "voicing" of a system. However, if you look/read back on *all* of my posts here in this thread, you'll notice as to where I place that on the pecking order. It's very very far down after many other things. So yes, it matters. But in the grand scheme of things it matters like toenail fungus matters to the health of your entire body.

Best.

Hal

NO ONE GETS BANNED. We know how that works from the AudioSyndrome BS. We have no more Club.  An Amp IMHO can have serious impact. The Amp/Speaker combo is a critical factor in synergy. Planars especially.

charles

Yes, Charles. An amp certainly can have a serious impact. AFTER the by far more serious impact that the following items have:
1 - your personal hearing acuity and distortion profile/preference
2 - the recording
3 - the room and environment
4- the speakers/transducers

NOW..... #5 the amp and other electronics.

Best.

Hal
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:50:11 AM by GDHAL »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2022, 09:23:38 AM »
 You can have 1-4 covered. Yet the wrong Amp will still be an issue. Source is #1. Garbage in garbage out no matter anything else. Not using my 45 2W amp with many speakers under 98db.

charles

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2022, 09:34:05 AM »
@steve

Thank you.
Hal

Best.

Hal

charles

Yes, Charles. An amp certainly can have a serious impact. AFTER the by far more serious impact that the following items have:
1 - your personal hearing acuity and distortion profile/preference
2 - the recording
3 - the room and environment
4- the speakers/transducers

NOW..... #5 the amp and other electronics.

Best.

Hal

Hi gdhal,

I am glad you posted, and we agree voicing is good for electronics. That is science if performed
correctly.

And no, I never misquoted you, but used what you stated as well as what you did not state,
page after page omissions, and attacks. The initial clue, you could have resolved the issue
right after I posted my post #28, If you really wanted peace. Instead it was argue just like
on Stereophile forums in 2009 when a group attempted to take over the entire forum.
All eventually left, by whatever means.

Your attempt at using a targeted link was already tried by one, from that group.
My computer expert verified such. That is why I posted screen shots.

John Atkinson, others and myself (the same group on other forums with Jneutron (FermiLab, and CERN) all dealt
with that group. They were also caught falsifying graphs, false data (28 pages) to discredit a 5 year work by
Dr. Kunchur on perception.

At ~28 pages, the peer reviewed, 3 national medical organizations, various universities, even atomic energy
brilliant minds information backround was presented.
That group all left one way or another in disgrace. I actually have some of John's emails to X member
and X's replies, attempting to bribe him. Fortunately, John has credibility/character.

I realize that you are not an engineer, but a computer scientist/programmer, so I tried to be
descent to you.

Wow, it is just difficult to figure how post #28 became #29, truly magical?

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 03:44:22 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2022, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi steve.

Peace is something I already have, but remain open-minded to disseminate it wherever my mind my happen to roam.

I believe you and I "agree", fundamentally. Even we don't, we can "agree to disagree".

To your last statement "....but used what you stated as well as what you did not state, page after page omissions. " Please think about that some more and ask yourself if you think using what someone does *not* state is wise. I have good reason to believe (and know) you would lose in both the court of public opinion and court of law if it came down to it.

Side note is that it's not just post 28/29 that's in question. All of the reply numbers as indicated on this site are off (at least by 1 in this thread). This is why I state that moderators and/or admins would need to get involved, assuming they care to do so.

Best.

Hal

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2022, 10:32:11 AM »
Well, it’s nice to have differing opinions, but maybe it’s best for a while that this thread takes a long nap 💤 💤
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2022, 11:08:26 AM »
Well, it’s nice to have differing opinions, but maybe it’s best for a while that this thread takes a long nap 💤 💤

I agree. In other words Mike dont piss off any remaining members this forum has left. Other wise
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2022, 11:29:38 AM »
  Why cannot we just leave it be. People disagree so be it. Do not like it move on. Stop the Woke cancel crap. I find it stimulating and a fun read.

charles

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2022, 01:34:04 PM »
Evan your right. I didn't mean to piss off any members but I think some are pissed off before I got on this one.
I will lay low
I like to stir the pot because you know whats at the bottom of the pot?

The truth

I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2022, 02:41:02 PM »
Evan your right. I didn't mean to piss off any members but I think some are pissed off before I got on this one.
I will lay low
I like to stir the pot because you know whats at the bottom of the pot?

The truth

I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low
I will lay low

No problem at all…
https://youtu.be/CtNb1dnEaSQ
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp