Author Topic: Breaking in the new Pellet Smoker  (Read 328 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Breaking in the new Pellet Smoker
« on: July 01, 2022, 07:34:44 PM »
I tried to get the local high school ag shop to repair my old rusted out wood burning pit, but honestly, they did a poor job.  Everything leaks, they moved the fire is too close to the meat, etc.  So the new pellet smoker arrived Thurs, spent a day assembling and burning it in.  So today it was time to smoke a prime rib roast and a pork shoulder.   :bbq
It all turned out tasty, if not as pretty or smoky as on my old pit. 
To get a crust, should I fire it up to 450 for an hour and then turn it down to 225? 
On the old pit, I'd simply put the brisket/prime rib on hot and let it burn nearly out... then add sticks as needed for the rest of the day. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 07:49:27 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Breaking in the new Pellet Smoker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:15:56 PM »
Just in time for the 4th too!  :thumb: 🍖 🎇 🇺🇸 Enjoy the new smoker. There won’t be any grilling as I’ll be visiting a friend on the 4th. Maybe a restaurant will have some decent ribs
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 10:42:23 PM »
I tried to get the local high school ag shop to repair my old rusted out wood burning pit, but honestly, they did a poor job.  Everything leaks, they moved the fire is too close to the meat, etc.  So the new pellet smoker arrived Thurs, spent a day assembling and burning it in.  So today it was time to smoke a prime rib roast and a pork shoulder.   :bbq
It all turned out tasty, if not as pretty or smoky as on my old pit. 
To get a crust, should I fire it up to 450 for an hour and then turn it down to 225? 
On the old pit, I'd simply put the brisket/prime rib on hot and let it burn nearly out... then add sticks as needed for the rest of the day.
My experience:  use additional smoke options in addition.  There are many options, but here is a link to my favorite:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lodge-6-5-in-Cast-Iron-Smoker-Skillet-L3SMSK/318693766

I bought 2 so I could maintain consistent smoke throughout the cooking cycle.  They are also great for doing a layered smoke regimen of different woods.  Say oak for the first part of the cook and cherry or peach, mesquite, apple... whatever.  Beats the hell out of smoking tubes.

For brisket or prime rib, I start with pecan and finish with cherry or peach.

When it comes to smoke, chips or chunks can't be beat in this house!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 09:49:46 AM »
I'll look at those skillets next time I'm at Home Depot.  I looked at the tubes, but I thought a 16 oz coffee can with hole punched in the sides and foil over the top would do a better job.  It's silly to have several acres of mesquite and not use it for cooking. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Online P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 11:19:22 PM »
I'll look at those skillets next time I'm at Home Depot.  I looked at the tubes, but I thought a 16 oz coffee can with hole punched in the sides and foil over the top would do a better job.  It's silly to have several acres of mesquite and not use it for cooking.
HD doesn't have them.  I got mine @ the At Home store here in Albuquerque.  They were on sale.

I don't do coffee cans, but your method makes great sense! 👍🏼
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe