Author Topic: Pray for Rollo  (Read 459 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Pray for Rollo
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2021, 08:28:26 PM »
One of the ways to rescue good vinyl (not regrind) is to use Elmer's white glue or other PVA white glue, not aliphatic resin.  Spread it on the exposed vinyl, not the label obviously, in a thin layer, let it dry and peel it off of the vinyl.  It gets EVERYTHING out of the grooves.  Try it on an expendable album first just to make sure the glue formula hasn't changed over the years.  Back in the day I cleaned all of the records we used to take up into the mountains and played on a battery powered record player and got rid of 90% (at least) of the pops and clicks.  Getting the thickness of the glue layer right is the hardest part.  Too thin doesn't work well.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2021, 07:12:36 AM »
One of the ways to rescue good vinyl (not regrind) is to use Elmer's white glue or other PVA white glue, not aliphatic resin.  Spread it on the exposed vinyl, not the label obviously, in a thin layer, let it dry and peel it off of the vinyl.  It gets EVERYTHING out of the grooves.  Try it on an expendable album first just to make sure the glue formula hasn't changed over the years.  Back in the day I cleaned all of the records we used to take up into the mountains and played on a battery powered record player and got rid of 90% (at least) of the pops and clicks.  Getting the thickness of the glue layer right is the hardest part.  Too thin doesn't work well.
I think this is a winner.  Many of the records I cleaned for my friend were still in jackets- cemented to the records.  Even so, they were still full of silt. Pre-cleaning, vacuum cleaning, and finally ultrasonic cleaning still got spotty results.  I don't doubt that even using a soft bristle brush with soap may have caused more damage... so I like the glue idea for your more valuable or hard to find vinyl. 
I wonder if thinning the glue a bit would help it to flow into the grooves more completely??
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:20:03 AM by S Clark »
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
Thanks for the tips Men. Elmers eh !

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2021, 09:19:14 AM »
Yes, Ive heard about the Elmers glue method a few years ago. Never got around to trying it. I looked at a few videos on YouTube just now and picked this one to give you an idea how of one way of doing it. Hope you can save some of those, Charles.

https://youtu.be/fB_HqEYxd8I
Van Alstine SET 120 Control Amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
Fritz Carrera 7 BE speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Auralic Aries Mini & Mojo Audio lps
Audio Envy & Wywires cables
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 09:52:45 AM »
  Me as well Nick. Our biggest problem is finding Labor to remove the damaged items. Restoration and Construction Companies are busy with labor shortages as well. If I lived near the Texas border would not be an issue. :duh :thumb: :rofl:

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
  PRAYERS WORKED. Thanks Guys.

charles

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2021, 09:39:36 AM »
  PRAYERS WORKED. Thanks Guys.

charles
They do when we let them!  :thumb:

Do tell.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Chazz

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 04:09:51 PM »
Have hope , stay strong , one day at a time, hang in there,charles