Systemic Development > Psycho-Acoustics

Free Room Measurement Software?

(1/2) > >>

miklorsmith:
I have equipment that I planned to use with Inguz, i.e. microphone and USB preamp that can be used with Audacity to record straight to .wav files.

What I need is a program that outputs pink noise or test tones (should be pretty easy, like a downloaded file) and analysis software.

This is one of the TacT functions I really miss.  Obviously I'll be using cave man techniques to make corrections but having the raw data would be really helpful.

I have a ratshack meter and Stereophile test tones but this method isn't terribly precise and is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for any help,

Mike

bpape:
Go to hometheatershack.com and go to the Room EQ Wizard area (REW).  Free software written in Java that works very well.  Will show you frequency response, decay time, waterfalls, and impulse response.  I think it will do pink noise in addition to swept tones.

Bryan

richidoo:
Yeah, it works well. Waterfalls only go up to 700Hz, maybe the new version 3 goes higher? But it is pretty easy to setup with any kind of soundcard. You can also get tones and pink noise for manual testing from realtraps.com. If you find a mode that needs exploration, the single tones come in handy. They are 30 second sine waves from 10 to 300Hz in one Hz increments. http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

I also made a quicker sweep wav from Ethan's Sonar file. It plays each freqency only for a second or two, allowing you to sit in the room in a specific spot while watching the meter as it sweeps through 10-300. The automated software is much easier, and probably more accurate too. If you have a laptop or audio computer already setup in there, that's the way to go.

I'm gonna try to do the same thing with Inguz. Tell us how it works out for ya!
Rich

miklorsmith:
Thanks guys.

I have done the Inguz thing.  I think it does work but coming from a TacT, it's really not user friendly and it's a total black box system.

I'm Windows-level guy.  Running Inguz right really needs a little deeper knowledge.

Hugh is a great guy, the time he spends with folks on this voluntary project for him is amazing.  He put a semi-parametric EQ in the package just because I asked him!

If it had a measurement and correction screen, and better user interface it would be an incredible "product".

richidoo:
Here is another software to check out:

http://www.juicehifi.com

It is new and amateurish, but the guy is quick to respond to questions, and seems to know his stuff. I haven't played with it too much yet, but I am intrigued by the potential to do room correction and other processing completely on the PC. Meantime, you can (supposedly) use it to create customized correction (text) files that Inguz plugin can use for its correction. Much more accurate than the Inguz interface which is necessarily limited. Let us know if you find it to be of any value (or not...)

Combined with a multi channel sound card it can be a digital crossover too. Handy lookin tool. Time will tell.
Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version