Systemic Development > Psycho-Acoustics

NEW SMALLER LISTENING ROOM - WHAT AM I NOT THINKING OF...???

(1/6) > >>

StereoNut:
I'm planning ahead for an eventual move of my main system into a smaller listening room. (My system is listed in my signature below.) I know that the only choice I have for speaker placement will be on the short wall of the room. (See the "X"'s on the attached diagram.)  I need to plan all of this out so I know where the electric will need to be. And you have my permission to giggle, but keep in mind that I haven't moved my system in over 30 years!

>>> Note: None of the furniture that's shown will be in this room. <<<

* The wall behind the speakers is windowed clear across. (I'm guessing that I am ordering drapes of some sort!?!)
* The right side wall will have a 6ft. tall x 11ft. wide bookcase/cabinet that will be used for LP's, CD's and misc. audio stuff. It's not anchored yet, so it can be moved further in/out within the depth of the room.
* Radiator is centered along the window wall up to sill height.
* I was hoping to place my equipment on two side-by-side audio racks (maybe 3 or 4 shelves each, so my turntable isn't over my head!) centered on that front wall, but I'm concerned over that being too close to the radiator. Also worried that bringing the equipment too far out into the room will interfere with my speakers.Of course, please tell me what else I need to worry about.

Signed,
Bill

Nick B:
Good luck on this, Bill. I’ll be curious what the guys come up with as I don’t know squat about room acoustics…

toobluvr:
I'd consider putting the racks on the right wall next to the bookcase / cabinet.
Keeps the window view clear and eliminates the possibility of soundstage interference, and radiators heating up gear.

What's that you say?    Now you need longer speaker cables, and ugliness is introduced as they snake
across the floor?     :-k

Get some Duelund DCA16 gauge.  Six weeks ago I rewired my system with it and I love it.  Well balanced, natural and organic, harmonically complete. 

On occasion you find it cheap when guys buy bulk for DIY projects, and then sell off the unused.  I paid $1.75 per foot.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=175406.msg1849563#msg1849563

Not horrible when dealers discount it to $3 per ft ($5 per ft normal price):

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-81415.html

Super thin and flexible, easy to route.  Can even place it under an area rug if you don't like seeing the left cable crossing the entire floor. (blasphemy, I know......apologies to the cable elevator adherrents     :rofl:)

Lots of stuff online about it, especially the Jeff Day blogs / reviews.

Just a thought.....

As far as treating room acoustics -- no idea.  I don't use anything other than natural room stuff like carpet, soft furniture and irregular surfaces created by bookcases / record racks.   And I try to put lots of air around the speakers to reduce room effects as much as possible.  You obviously need to deal with the windows.  I had a similar situation with wall of windows behind my speakers.  I just installed some heavy curtains.  Seemed to work fine.  The fact that the speakers were well forward into the room probably also helped.  See my avatar and the red curtains behind my rack.

StereoNut:
Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate your comments/suggestions.  :thumb:

SN

Nick B:

--- Quote from: toobluvr on April 29, 2021, 01:16:51 PM ---I'd consider putting the racks on the right wall next to the bookcase / cabinet.
Keeps the window view clear and eliminates the possibility of soundstage interference, and radiators heating up gear.

What's that you say?    Now you need longer speaker cables, and ugliness is introduced as they snake
across the floor?     :-k

Get some Duelund DCA16 gauge.  Six weeks ago I rewired my system with it and I love it.  Well balanced, natural and organic, harmonically complete. 

On occasion you find it cheap when guys buy bulk for DIY projects, and then sell off the unused.  I paid $1.75 per foot.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=175406.msg1849563#msg1849563

Not horrible when dealers discount it to $3 per ft ($5 per ft normal price):

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-81415.html

Super thin and flexible, easy to route.  Can even place it under an area rug if you don't like seeing the left cable crossing the entire floor. (blasphemy, I know......apologies to the cable elevator adherrents     :rofl:)

Lots of stuff online about it, especially the Jeff Day blogs / reviews.

Just a thought.....

As far as treating room acoustics -- no idea.  I don't use anything other than natural room stuff like carpet, soft furniture and irregular surfaces created by bookcases / record racks.   And I try to put lots of air around the speakers to reduce room effects as much as possible.  You obviously need to deal with the windows.  I had a similar situation with wall of windows behind my speakers.  I just installed some heavy curtains.  Seemed to work fine.  The fact that the speakers were well forward into the room probably also helped.  See my avatar and the red curtains behind my rack.

--- End quote ---

Just curious…what brand connectors did you use?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version