Author Topic: Tweeter Type For Rear Facing ‘Super Tweeter’ Duty  (Read 2248 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Tweeter Type For Rear Facing ‘Super Tweeter’ Duty
« on: April 08, 2021, 02:40:39 PM »
I’m going to add a rear firing tweeter to try and add some ‘air’ to my system. I’m already quite happy with the way things are, but the adage ‘if it ain’t broke, fix it until it is’, is at play. I’m going to do whatever is necessary myself; add a capacitor as crossover and possibly an L-pad if necessary. I have a consultant for crossover caps and values, (jimbones), so what I’d like to discuss is tweeter type.
Since it will be rear firing, and crossed over somewhere above 6k, I think my options are many- power handling won’t be much of an issue above 6k, but maybe dispersion is key in a rear firing situation?
So... dome, ribbon, horn, AMT(which I think is a kind of ribbon)...
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Jim

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Tweeter Type For Rear Facing ‘Super Tweeter’ Duty
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »
Jim, Just go with an inexpensive dome. No ribbons or AMTs. Peerless DX25 or XT25 silk series are fine. Parts express has them.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 10:55:53 PM »
I would start with something that is a similar take to what you have as your forward firing tweeter.

I would think that if you use a rear firing tweeter that is a different technology with different sonic characteristics you may that trouble getting them to bled tighter cohesively.

Others with more speaker design experience might have different experience and/or opinions, but that is just what jumped into my head when I read your question.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline James Edward

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »
I’m having my kitchen cabinets refinished, and today was install day. Since I couldn’t go far, I crimped and soldered my way into a rear tweeter. I learned several things- I can’t solder for shit, and don’t try and evaluate anything during the mayhem of housing upgrades.
First- I decided to solder the lead from the tweeter to cap; not a good idea... The solder joint from the voice coil was too close and melted- I saw what was happening and stopped in time. I learned to just use a slide on connector at this juncture... I thought I had ruined the tweeter for sure, but upon hookup it was just fine. I am surprised at how much output there was at the 10k crossover point. I know it’s therefore only down 6 db at 5k, but still... At least my ears are still hearing high frequencies.
The cabinet guys thought it sounded great, but I believe a potentiometer/ L-Pad is in my future.
I posted this verbose response because BobM said in another thread he visits here for the human interest stories... Well, the cabinets look better than my soldering.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 04:26:33 PM »
I’m having my kitchen cabinets refinished, and today was install day. Since I couldn’t go far, I crimped and soldered my way into a rear tweeter. I learned several things- I can’t solder for shit, and don’t try and evaluate anything during the mayhem of housing upgrades.
First- I decided to solder the lead from the tweeter to cap; not a good idea... The solder joint from the voice coil was too close and melted- I saw what was happening and stopped in time. I learned to just use a slide on connector at this juncture... I thought I had ruined the tweeter for sure, but upon hookup it was just fine. I am surprised at how much output there was at the 10k crossover point. I know it’s therefore only down 6 db at 5k, but still... At least my ears are still hearing high frequencies.
The cabinet guys thought it sounded great, but I believe a potentiometer/ L-Pad is in my future.
I posted this verbose response because BobM said in another thread he visits here for the human interest stories... Well, the cabinets look better than my soldering.

Was it you who just got the new soldering iron? If you were having trouble, heck,  I haven’t soldered in 20+ years  :roll:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
Yep- I’m the guy. I have you beat- I last soldered in 1974. It wasn’t pretty then, but I’m making a more concerted effort now. Soldering is at least one thing that hasn’t changed much over the years.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »
You mean 1974...like the oil embargo days?? Wow  :shock:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 06:25:11 PM »
Yep. Bell bottoms, black and white TV’s still around, rotary dial phones, cars got 8 miles per gallon, gas was 53 cents a gallon, my hair was brown- you get the idea.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 08:21:01 PM »
Yep. Bell bottoms, black and white TV’s still around, rotary dial phones, cars got 8 miles per gallon, gas was 53 cents a gallon, my hair was brown- you get the idea.

Yes, I sure do  :rofl:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS