Author Topic: Taking Digital Audio Extraction to a level no one else has ever done  (Read 16323 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Re: Taking Digital Audio Extraction to a level no one else has ever done
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »
Finally got to listen to the 'correct' CDR Dave sent.

My impressions are a bit late, can't do an A/B/C and this is all from memory and based on my notes, but the CDR sounds even more focused than the #, with better instrument separation, making it easier to hear what's buried in the mix. But I think the most obvious difference for me is the bass. Everything sounds clearer.

Maybe I am not recalling the sound correctly, but the CDR's bass seems more impactful and the sound more dynamic?

Paul

Offline dpatters

• Seeking Help
  • Audiofool in Happy Valley
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »
Hey Charles! I hope all is well with you. The I2S connection between the Jays DAC and transport is HDMI. A generic cable was shipped with it but I know it’s way too short in length for best sound. I am using Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver with rca connector. Tomorrow I’ll switch to Emprirical Audio with BNC connector. Dave’s HDMI cable is scheduled for delivery Wednesday. I’ll start a new topic on the DAC, transport, and my experience with the different cables end of next week.

Don P
Vapor Audio Joule Black
Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono amps
Kinki Studio EX-P7 preamp
Jay’s Audio CD-2MKII transport
Jay’s Audio DAC Signature
Music Hall MMF 7.1/Ortofon 2M Black MM
Graham Slee Gold Era Mark V phono pre
TWL Full Loom
Totally custom UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »
Finally got to listen to the 'correct' CDR Dave sent.

My impressions are a bit late, can't do an A/B/C and this is all from memory and based on my notes, but the CDR sounds even more focused than the #, with better instrument separation, making it easier to hear what's buried in the mix. But I think the most obvious difference for me is the bass. Everything sounds clearer.

Maybe I am not recalling the sound correctly, but the CDR's bass seems more impactful and the sound more dynamic?

Paul
That is how I hear CD-Rs with the special sauce, too.  The other most obvious difference is the decay of the notes.  With a note being: attack; sustain; release; decay - the micro dynamics in the room acoustic and reverb tails (natural or effected) contribute to a truer “they are here” or “you are there” illusion.  Once again it is the space between the notes that I always talk about.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
Hey Charles! I hope all is well with you. The I2S connection between the Jays DAC and transport is HDMI. A generic cable was shipped with it but I know it’s way too short in length for best sound. I am using Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver with rca connector. Tomorrow I’ll switch to Emprirical Audio with BNC connector. Dave’s HDMI cable is scheduled for delivery Wednesday. I’ll start a new topic on the DAC, transport, and my experience with the different cables end of next week.

Don P
Be sure to try the HDMI cable with both orientations.  I forgot to include a directional arrow label, so be sure to mark the cable so you will know the best orientation.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »

Don P

Cool. Did not know HDMI was used for I2S connection. My set up uses Ethernet cable. I use TWL . What a cable. Looking forward to your posts.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2020, 04:54:46 PM »

Don P

Cool. Did not know HDMI was used for I2S connection. My set up uses Ethernet cable. I use TWL . What a cable. Looking forward to your posts.

charles
Yes, the TWL cable is a killer for the $$$.

:thumb:

I'll be very interested to see what my new HDMI cable brings to the table... if anything. 

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2020, 08:39:08 PM »
Just an fyi, I am the friend and customer that Dave mentioned previously that prefers spinning CDs vs streaming or listening to ripped files. I had purchased a dedicated music server with Roon, Tidal, and ripped all of my CDs to the hard drive. I used Tidal to find new music and it covered most of my vinyl collection. I have since gone back to spinning CDs and vinyl and I’m a happier camper. I’m using Jay’s Audio CD-2 MKII transport and the Jays Audio DAC Signature. I’m looking forward to getting Dave’s HDMI cable to take advantage of the I2S interface.

Don P

Don I have been preaching that for some time. CDs using a dedicated transport just sounds better. Depending on ones server it can be really close however still no Cigar. I prefer Qobuz to Tidal in sound quality. Dislike Roons sound. Using iPeng remote instead. Is not your I2S connection Ethernet ?
  Aqua just came out with a dedicated server that Aqua feels equals their dedicated transport.  High res recorded in high rez is the only reason IMHo other than general listening a streamer is needed. There is not much music recorded in Hi-Rez other than SACD.
   Do not like at all upsampled anything. If recorded in DSD then OK. Still spinning those shinny discs.

charles

The only advantage to oversampling I’d that with the high over sample bit rate the quantizing noise is shifted up high in frequency which allow the day designed to use a lower slope output filter which introduces less phase shifts that the filter required for a NOS system. This idea came about in th every early days of CDs and since then filter designs have gotten much better so now we can have single and over sampled days that both sound quite good.  Of course we must always keep in mind that even thought an oversampled signal runs at a higher bit rate it cannot provide any more resolution that the original no’s signal since it does not carry any more data, just the same data written multiple times.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline dpatters

• Seeking Help
  • Audiofool in Happy Valley
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2020, 11:43:23 AM »

Don P

charles
Yes, the TWL cable is a killer for the $$$.

:thumb:

I'll be very interested to see what my new HDMI cable brings to the table... if anything. 

The HDMI/I2S connection is the icing on the cake. Much preferred over coax

Don P
Vapor Audio Joule Black
Kinki Studio EX-B7 mono amps
Kinki Studio EX-P7 preamp
Jay’s Audio CD-2MKII transport
Jay’s Audio DAC Signature
Music Hall MMF 7.1/Ortofon 2M Black MM
Graham Slee Gold Era Mark V phono pre
TWL Full Loom
Totally custom UberBUSS