Author Topic: Western Electric New 300B  (Read 2555 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Western Electric New 300B
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
  So are we pre ordering ? WE accepting orders for matched pairs , single or Quad oh my. Not a dealer of such.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Western Electric New 300B
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 04:15:07 PM »
The Western Electric company that manufactured the mid century NOS tubes that everyone seeks out and lusts for went out of business in 1996 when AT&T spun off it's manufacturing arm to Lucent Technologies which sold off all kinds of divisions and itself was eventually bought out by a French firm called Avaya and then again by Nokia.

The company that now call itself Western Electric is only related to the original firm in that they bought out some of their trademarks and intellectual property.

They are making copies of the 300B, just like everyone else that sells them.I can't say that they will be better or worse that any other new production 300Bs on the market today, But don't think that they will be the same as the old NOS tubes. Just because it says Western Electric on the tube it does no guarantee that they will be anything like the old stock. The name basically means nothing other than a marketing ploy. The tubes will have to stand on their own two feet. That's not to say that they won't sound good, just that they won't sound good, simply that the name on the box has nothing to do with how they end up sounding.

BTW, I do hope they sound good it would be great to have a source of good 300Bs that din't require a mortgage to buy.  :duh
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables