Author Topic: High Quality A/C Breakers  (Read 10221 times)

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
High Quality A/C Breakers
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
I'm looking to upgrade the breakers in the sub panel for my dedicated circuits. I would prefer a Din rail type breaker as I've found them to make better connections. I found breakers made by Schneider Electric that look ok. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: High Quality A/C Breakers
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »
Hey Mike Siemens would be my reco. Non magnetic ones to start.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »
I Googled non magnetic breakers and can't find anything on them. I settled on Sq D Qou breakers on reco of 2 techs at electrical supply houses. I thought about getting a fuse holder that goes in an A/C panel and using an audiophile fuse, I see how it goes after I install the SQ D breakers.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »
I replace existing breakers ( Homeline )in my dedicated sub panel with Din rail ones made by Schneider Electric. They've only been in for 5 days so they probably need more burn in, I also replace the wire going from my inverter to my dedicated sub panel. The  changes I've noticed so far is my bass has more punch and before if I played a blank track (one used to test floor noise in car audio) and turned the vol all the way up and laid my ear on my tweeter there was a slight bit of hash before, now it's dead quiet.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 07:50:37 AM »
Din rail ones made by Schneider Electric.

What model breaker? Schneider has several DIN models

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
SQ D QOU115 and SQ D QOU120

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
Thanks Mike!

After reading a bit I have given up trying to understand the Square D universe of breaker options, or exactly what you did to upgrade. But it sounds like a cool upgrade.

I have Eaton panel (Cutler Hammer) so no upgrades for me.

I found this article full of helpful ideas about home power wiring for audio.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:38:17 PM by richidoo »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:30 AM »
Interesting MSB article Rich, looks like I'm off to the electric supply house for some new breakers, I have no doubt my McMansion has the cheapest breakers allowable.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 09:17:35 AM »
Hey Gene
I had the same thought, but upon further research realized that most residential breakers are actually not upgradeable. Most residential panels are plug-on type, and there is only one breaker from the same brand that will fit the panel.

Mikeeastman is using rail mount breakers in his audio subpanel, which allows different width breakers, and his brand, Square D, offers 2 quality levels of breakers QO and Homeline (of different widths) that both can be used in his rail mount panel. If he had a plug-on Square D panel he could not do that because every plug-on panel requires specific width breakers.

I have Cutler Hammer panel, it has 3/4" plug in breakers. I have the old Cutler Hammer tan colored breakers. But since mine was installed Eaton bought out CH and now the black handled Eaton breakers can replace the old tan handled CH breakers, but most of what I read claims they are not as high quality as the old CH breakers which I already have.

If there was a particular breaker that was worth upgrading to, you'd need to install a new subpanel that would fit the breaker you want to use. But then you have an "unworthy" 50A breaker in the main panel that feeds the audiophile subpanel, so are you any further ahead? A "worthy" breaker in an audio subpanel doesn't reduce whatever impedance was added from upstream breakers, it can only minimize the impedance it adds. The plug on feet connections add impedance too.

I think I have a parallel outside panel at my meter that has big breakers for a gaspack and a compressor. Since they are such high current loads makes no sense to run long lines just to have the breakers in the main panel on other side of the house. I'd like to stick a 20A audio breaker in the parallel panel as it's only 20 feet from my stereo, then I could afford a short run of JPS romex ($25/ft) which does make a noticeable difference. Not sure how feasible this is, but at least the parallel panel is already installed and signed off, as parallel panel relies on an exception rule to NEC, so I might not get a electrician to attempt to get a new parallel panel inspected just for a couple of 20A receptacle for a stereo. Not important enough to invoke NEC exception. But the parallel panel is tan also, so it's Cutler Hammer breakers.

I'm certainly no expert on this breaker thing, I only know what I read on the web yesterday, fwiw. I hope Mike can shed more light and correct any of my errors. It's tempting to upgrade what we all view as a potential bottleneck.

It seems to me that no matter how awesome the breaker, you could always improve it by buttering the contacts and feet with a little SST. That should work with any breaker. I don't know how easy it is to get SST into the contacts, if possible at all.

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:11 AM »
My advantage is that I can connect my sub panel direct to the source of my power, my inverter. The only way you could do that on the grid would be to wire the sub panel before the main breaker, which I'm sure won't be code.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 05:51:42 PM »
Gotcha. Well, I'll file this way for the next house and have this investigated prior to moving in.

Pity, seemed like a quick 'win'.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
  Finally found "THE" breaker. Made by Carling Technologies USA for Gigawatt. This baby the G-C20A [ 1-pole,2-pole] eliminates the tiny wire [ fusible link ] and use a larger Ga. not to throttle the electricity passing through it. Incorporates a induction coil to control magnetic field of current passing through it.

charles
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:42:31 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »
nice, where can i buy it?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
  Finally found "THE" breaker. Made by Carling Technologies USA for Gigawatt. This baby the G-C20A [ 1-pole,2-pole] eliminates the tiny wire [ fusible link ] and use a larger Ga. not to throttle the electricity passing through it. Incorporates a induction coil to control magnetic field of current passing through it.

charles
Nice find, Bro'!

I've always defaulted to Square D or Siemens.  When I install switches in BUSSes I use Carling magnetic circuit breakers and have found them to be transparent.  That is why I use them exclusively.

What do you not like about the magnetic fields? 

:?:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:49:38 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »
   These breakers are the BOMB. Bigger, quieter, more info deeper bass. They fit in a standard panel DIN. Liked them so much now taking on product. Not cheap @ $180 ea but IMO worth every penny spent. More improvement than i expected. www.gigawatt.eu/products/powerconditioner.com

charles
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:44:53 PM by rollo »