Author Topic: KT-88 / 6550s?  (Read 15239 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
KT-88 / 6550s?
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:14:46 AM »
What's good now?   

I'm deciding between New Sensor reissues Genalex Gold Lion KT-88s and Tung-Sol 6550, for use in ARC VT100.

Anybody familiar with these? Other recommendations?
Thanks

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: KT-88 / 6550s?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

Didn't know you could use a KT88 in an ARC amp
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »
I see it all the time. KT-88s and 6550 are pretty much plug in replacements for one an other, from an electrical standpoint anyway. From a sound standpoint the do differ, as do the different brands within each one of them.

Rich, have you checked with ARC to see if those amps will handle KT-120s. From what I hear they are the best of both world and have a higher plate dissipation. However they do draw about 15% more filament current so you need to check and see if the particular vintage VT-100 amp you are re-tubing has a power supply capable of ruining those filaments. Although I have never seen this mentioned I would also be concerned that the output transformers can handle the  the additional wattage that the KT-120s are capable of producing.

If you are interested I am sure one phone call to the ARC techs could clear up whether or not the KT-120s are OK to use in your amp.

Link to the Upscale Audio page on KT-120s:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/tung-sol-kt120/
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 02:30:07 PM »
Thanks guys

Tom, yes I did ask AR about KT-120s, they just said no amid answers to a few other questions. Jim McShane (tube seller) explained that the KT120s are too heavy to be mounted horizontally in VT100, but they are OK in Ref110 because its tubes are vertical.

McShane just emailed back recommending the KT-88 for sonic reasons. But warns no warranty on them when used in tube-finicky AR amps that originally came with 6550s.

I've read that the TS6550 are more bass, thicker sound, while GL KT88 are clearer midrange, refined treble, more forward etc. One guy compained it's not enough bass in his PrimaLuna with small OPT. I'm sure they both have good treble and bass, but maybe one is 'richer' while the other is 'clearer.'

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »
Thanks guys

Tom, yes I did ask AR about KT-120s, they just said no amid answers to a few other questions. Jim McShane (tube seller) explained that the KT120s are too heavy to be mounted horizontally in VT100, but they are OK in Ref110 because its tubes are vertical.

McShane just emailed back recommending the KT-88 for sonic reasons. But warns no warranty on them when used in tube-finicky AR amps that originally came with 6550s.

I've read that the TS6550 are more bass, thicker sound, while GL KT88 are clearer midrange, refined treble, more forward etc. One guy compained it's not enough bass in his PrimaLuna with small OPT. I'm sure they both have good treble and bass, but maybe one is 'richer' while the other is 'clearer.'

FWIW, no power tubes should ever be mounted horizontally! Gravity on the filaments, especially when hot / glowing, is not good. The filaments will sag in-between the plates, causing issues...

Rectifiers tubes are OK mounted horizontally...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »
after hearing about the pyrotechnics some tube power amp owners have experienced i decided to go solid!! :rofl:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
FWIW, no power tubes should ever be mounted horizontally! Gravity on the filaments, especially when hot / glowing, is not good. The filaments will sag in-between the plates, causing issues...

My $0.02,
Pete

Very interesting! Thanks Pete.  That could be why the following generation AR amps like Ref110 went to vertical and have remained vert in the new 'designer' series too. This amp is circa 2006 iirc.

:idea: Maybe I can run the amp on it's side to make the filaments vertical? Is inverted OK? It has forced fan cooling.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »
after hearing about the pyrotechnics some tube power amp owners have experienced i decided to go solid!! :rofl:

Bock-bock-bock!  Chicken, Jim!?!?  Even I have turned to the "glass side".  :rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 03:48:25 PM »

My $0.02,
Pete

Very interesting! Thanks Pete.  That could be why the following generation AR amps like Ref110 went to vertical and have remained vert in the new 'designer' series too. This amp is circa 2006 iirc.

:idea: Maybe I can run the amp on it's side to make the filaments vertical? Is inverted OK? It has forced fan cooling.

Rich,
Inverted is OK as long as the heat dissipates away from the other components... Heat is the enemy of electrical components... I would say normal vertical is best...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »

Yes, the TS 6550 (and TS 6L6STRs, as well as, to a lesser extent, the TS 120s) have a thick, bass heavy sound.

The Genelex KT88s are more balanced while still being full bodied. But I prefer the Penta KT88SC: I found it more balanced still, and more refined, particularly in the highs.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/KT88-Tube-Types/Preferred-Series-KT88

I have no idea how any of them will sound in an ARC.

Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline rpf

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »

Rare in a well designed amp if using well tested and burned in tubes. And not really an issue if the tubes are fused, as Rogues (and I think some ARCs and VTLs) are.

I do really want to hear your Modwright "tube state" SS amp though.  :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:21:27 PM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 04:41:58 PM »
The Genelex KT88s are more balanced while still being full bodied. But I prefer the Penta KT88SC: I found it more balanced still, and more refined, particularly in the highs.

Thanks Rob, that's very helpful! 

Does tubestore do the screening and matching as required by AR amps? I'll read their website. Thanks

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
I love
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 05:23:02 PM »

Bock-bock-bock!  Chicken, Jim!?!?  Even I have turned to the "glass side".  :rofl:

SN

[-X

I love the sound of tube amps. But I am not that adventurous.  Thats why i compromise by having a tube pre in the system.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rpf

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »

Thanks Rob, that's very helpful! 

Does tubestore do the screening and matching as required by AR amps? I'll read their website. Thanks

They claim they match them but I don't know about screening or burning them in. Unlike say Jim McShane or Upscale Audio that definitely do.

However they offer a 3 month warranty on the Genalex and a 6 month warranty on the Penta.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 07:48:28 AM »
  I prefer Sletvana 6550 over the others. better tonality IMO with AR.

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.