Systemic Development > Psycho-Acoustics

An experiment

(1/7) > >>

richidoo:
I have noticed recently that upgrades on the system seem to increase the contrast between direct and reflected sound. The better the direct sound gets, the more it is smeared when interacting with the room sound which is consistently poor. At low volumes the room sound is not as much of a problem although the room reverb colors the ambience of the recording, sometimes in a good way. At higher volumes, the room intrudes much more, I wonder if there is some exponential function involved. But the net result is negative for upgrades to the system.  I guess if I could get the system to sound as bad as the room, I would be satisfied? haha That would be hard.

I have been searching for acoustic treatments with the acreage of coverage I need and still have WAF. Panels are not acceptable no matter what they are covered with. Some online estimator suggested I need about ~50 2 x 4 panels. Covered in purple, no doubt. But my wife recently suggested thick velvet drapes, so that was encouraging. If she'll go for something as tacky as that, maybe something a little more chic and more effective would fly. I asked her what she thought about fabric covered walls today, and I was surprised when her response was "I wanna see the fabrics" instead of some crack about living in an office cube.

So to do a little proof of concept before I get too excited, or before I spend any more money on this godforsaken hobby, I laid out some quilts. 4 on the floor and table top in the kitchen area behind listening area, and one on the wood floor and one hanging on a door on the side of the listening area. Altogether it was about 600-700 sf of poor quality absorption. Clap test felt like a good improvement, and immediately the whole room got cozier.

Listening to music it was a big improvement. I could hear things that were obscured before, and finally at long last that annoying cold evil soul shivering echo that is mixed in with every sound was cut way back. I was happy to hear that sound in my own house.

Hopefully covering up some walls and some ceiling with real absorption material will solve this shout problem at last. I have to admit it was a fun listening session with the quilts strewn around everywhere!  I'll try to post more on the project here as it goes.
Rich

stereofool:
Rich,

Good luck with the new line of pursuit! Hopefully, you will find at least a partial solution to your sonic woes. I know that you've been trying hard, but I still think your system/room has always sounded good, every time I've been over there.

Of course, I just may have 'crap' for ears and can't hear what has been driving you crazy. Who knows...maybe my system/room is sonically challenged. However, I seem to just be able to sit back and enjoy the music...without picking it apart.

SEE...being simple-minded can come in handy after all  :rofl:!!!

WEEZ:
Rich, I'm interested in your experiment(s)....look forward to any progress..

WEEZ

Carlman:
Wow, congratulation! :)  I know it's tough to get these things worked out...

I've often thought about padded walls for a number of reasons. ;)

If you go to Southpoint Mall, there's a store called "Metropolitan Deluxe" in the outside area that has a large padded wall that was very close to something I'd do.... and may still do in the new room.  I thought it looked very 'chic'... ;)

richidoo:
simple minded... yeah, right!.... A real country dumpling!   :rofl:  It sounds good when you're here because it's mostly your electronics playing! hehe

Well, Steve, you know the latest upgrade that made the room really sound like CRAP was speaker wire. Yup, I had to do it, I'm just wired that way, can't resist the temptation. I see the fruit just hanging there and I reach out for it, and.....   DAMN I did it again! You're really gonna hate me when I send you home with it.  :lol:  I will only say one thing for fear of corrupting other unsuspecting innocent lambs: "Art Dudley is right!" ... and not another word!  :-$

The local RPG dealer has some BAD panels for me to take home to try. The first hit is free, right? I don't even wanna go there, but the pull is just too great to resist. I know I'm gonna regret this one. They are a "little pricey" as is all RPG stuff. I wanna try to keep it simple and low buck. Thanks for the encouragement WEEZ and Carl, I'm psyched to get started.

Julie was joking about putting up padded fake leather with the buttons like an overstuffed smoking chair, or a wall in 1940s jazz club. I told her leather is terrible acoustics. She said I need to lighten up. hehe
Rich

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version