Author Topic: Swap Meet Audio & Gary Dodd  (Read 9315 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Swap Meet Audio & Gary Dodd
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
   We are now offering home demo of Gary's batterry powered preamp in the NY Tri-State area.
    WE should have our demo piece shortly for in home demo. This baby includes all Mundorf S/O caps. Electro Harminox 6H30 tubes. Price TBT.
    All Dodd gear is made to order by hand. Hopefully if all works out we will have a line of amps as well in the future. Good times ahead.
     If any of the clubs would like an audition contact me here.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Swap Meet Audio & Gary Dodd
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »
Charles I would love to hear his preamp in my home. also if you could get his phono pre that would even be better.
Perfect timing as i am currently shopping for a new preamp.

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:11:30 AM »
   AS soon as its in and played a bit will do. Keep ya posted. Yes Sir Gary's phono stage is being discussed as we speak. Most likely after Christmas.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:23:55 AM »
AS soon as its in and played a bit will do. Keep ya posted. Yes Sir Gary's phono stage is being discussed as we speak. Most likely after Christmas.

charles

Not until after he builds my VGP pre-amp first!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »

charles

Not until after he builds my VGP pre-amp first!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Its almost done.  :dj:   Did you get the battery yet ?

charles

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:10 AM »
Yes and no... The good news is the battery arrived on Saturday, the bad news is they shipped the wrong one!  I'm waiting for a response back via e-mail, but now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna call 'em right now!

I already have the C-tek charger.

T.B.C.

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
BTW what are you planning for the battery for the Wife factor ? You need a Colonial box of some sort or a diamond ring  :rofl: :rofl:
    Of course  we offer audiophile grade boxes. Kidding aside what you doing.

charles

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
BTW what are you planning for the battery for the Wife factor ? You need a Colonial box of some sort or a diamond ring  :rofl: :rofl: Of course  we offer audiophile grade boxes. Kidding aside what you doing.

charles

If the design I have planned for mounting a bookcase on the wall (without the inner shelves) to create a hollowed out enclosure to set my audio rack into it works, the back portion of the shelves will be hidden from side, top and bottom view.  It will serve as an easy way to hide all of the power cords, I/C's etc... and hopefully, will keep the battery and charger for the Dodd VGP Pre out of sight as well. [-o<

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
BTW what are you planning for the battery for the Wife factor ? You need a Colonial box of some sort or a diamond ring  :rofl: :rofl:

Charles, there is an idea for a second line of business for you, Swap Meet Jewelry. Custom service for audiophiles who need to figure out how to get what the just purchased from Swap Meet Audio into the house.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:36:02 AM »
BTW what are you planning for the battery for the Wife factor ? You need a Colonial box of some sort or a diamond ring  :rofl: :rofl:

Charles, there is an idea for a second line of business for you, Swap Meet Jewelry. Custom service for audiophiles who need to figure out how to get what the just purchased from Swap Meet Audio into the house.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OYE !!! Your too funny. WE include Eggplant parm with every order. Everyone has to eat.

charles
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:40:02 AM by rollo »

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »
BTW what are you planning for the battery for the Wife factor ? You need a Colonial box of some sort or a diamond ring  :rofl: :rofl:

Charles, there is an idea for a second line of business for you, Swap Meet Jewelry. Custom service for audiophiles who need to figure out how to get what the just purchased from Swap Meet Audio into the house.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OYE !!! Your too funny. WE include Eggplant parm with every order. Everyone has to eat.

charles

Don't forget a few loaves of Italian semolina bread and a good bottle of Chianti!!! :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Don't forget a few loaves of Italian semolina bread and a good bottle of Chianti!!! :thumb:

Only for orders over $5000 - gots to keep things in perspective.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »

Only for orders over $5000 - gots to keep things in perspective.

That is happy ending territory.  :-P   

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 07:25:33 AM »
    All hooked up and ready for prime time. Out of the box PRAT and dynamics which were my biggest concern was there in spades. The midrange was VG which is a good sign with no time on it to speak of. Top end was a bit detailed and crisp however after 5 hours or so it tamed down and is still changing.
    Not slow, dull or lacking in the extremes. Bass a tad loose and some upper midrange break in itus are present. A few hundred hours should quell all. The Mundorf silver/oil caps need lots of time. Over 400 hours. Oye !
      The Powersonic battery has a very small footprint. Easy to hide somewhere. The C-Tek charger as well.
     An Electro Harminox 6H30 gold pin tube, yes one is used. Loving the remote volume control. Going to try a DR version of 6H30 when broken in.
     So far better than expected. much better.

charles

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 08:26:59 AM »
   All hooked up and ready for prime time. Out of the box PRAT and dynamics which were my biggest concern was there in spades. The midrange was VG which is a good sign with no time on it to speak of. Top end was a bit detailed and crisp however after 5 hours or so it tamed down and is still changing.
    Not slow, dull or lacking in the extremes. Bass a tad loose and some upper midrange break in itus are present. A few hundred hours should quell all. The Mundorf silver/oil caps need lots of time. Over 400 hours. Oye !
      The Powersonic battery has a very small footprint. Easy to hide somewhere. The C-Tek charger as well.
     An Electro Harminox 6H30 gold pin tube, yes one is used. Loving the remote volume control. Going to try a DR version of 6H30 when broken in.
     So far better than expected. much better.

charles

Nice! :drool:  

I hope that my Dodd VGP will be equally impressive.  It should be here soon, but I told Gary to feel better first. (He was under the weather over the holidays.)  He said my pre was completed, except for the control knobs.  I have charger and battery at home, ready and waiting.  

Now all I need is my Moscode 600 amp back from a certain person in Brattleboro, VT! :duh

Keep all of us posted on the progress on this piece, Charles.  I (for one) have a rather LARGE interest in how it sounds, since I will have mine soon.  It will be interesting to see (hear) what the differences will be from my (four 12B4A tubes and Sonicap Platinums) Dodd pre to your (two 6H30's and Mundorfs) model.  Speaking of which... do you have the tube buffer pre without any gain or the VGP (Variable Gain Pre) which is different?

Also curious about the "hook-up".  Any pix...???

SN
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:26:11 AM by StereoNut »

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L