Author Topic: New Year's thoughts for system upgrades?  (Read 17619 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
New Year's thoughts for system upgrades?
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:35:54 AM »
With 2012 right around the corner, what are folks looking at for system upgrades?

Or have you finally conquered the Nervosa?

I'm sitting here listening to Freddie Hubbard interpret 'Blue Moon' and thinking I've come a long way in just under 2 years, still.......................

New speakers would be nice, Vandersteen 5A or Quatros possibly.

And a tube amp???

What are folks wishing for in the new year?

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

Re: New Year's thoughts for system upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:48:52 AM »
Now that the nest is empty I have a spare room that I might put a second system in as a dedicated listening room.  I can envision an integrated tube amp with a pair of vintage Klipschorns.  Perhaps the Garrard 401 project I am working on now could be the analogue front end in that system.

--Jerome

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:59:36 AM »
My Nervosa is being focused on new speakers. My Von Schweikert VR4JRs are really nice but I've had them for 5+ years and just feel like something else.

But the old bugaboo - It'd cost a bunch of money to replace them with something better.  I always thought small monitors would work well in my smallish, well treated room.

Been reading up on Totem - The new Element Earth looks really cool (no crossover in super-duper new mid-woofer driver) and the Mani II Sig is a well respected monitor w/ stunning bass if you have the grunt, which I have covered w/ my hi-watt class D amp.

So, most likely, no significant changes once again this year  :rofl:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »
  I'm with Jerome. A second system but for CD only. The big rig is voiced for the TT and cart. I'm done there.
  CDs sound really good however after some tube and or cable changes better. So instead of changing a thing a second system may be in order.
   I like the idea of an intergrated tube amp for CD playback. Vintage horns would be nice or Tannoys. I feel theTannoys might be better match with CD as da horns might just reveal too much. We shall see.
   Or just put all Deuland cast crossover parts in the Lenehan S2. Decisions decisions the new year should be fun.  :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
I'm still interested in a new amplifier, but that would also likely require a new pre-amp, so I'm sitting in a situation similar to Mike ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
I had a very fun 2011 with a lot of acquistions of gear & accessories (Stibbert CD player, VPI 16.5 RCM, Well Tempered Reference TT, Clearaudio Maestro cartridge, Silnote Morpheus Reference LE IC's, bunch of new vinyl, etc.)... by far the most ever in a year since being a audioloonie...

My oldest is heading to college in the fall and then every two years thereafter for my other 3 kids... Priorities point toward paying the outrageous college fees for the next 10 years (YIKES!) so I may have to go into Audio Nervosa rehab... oh no, no, no...

Both systems are sounding fine & I have plenty of tubes so minor DIY tweaking for the future...
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
I'm looking to build some new speakers when the weather warms up - large, sealed cabinets with active amp/crossover. Add more acoustic treatments for midrange echo and corner reflections. I also want to make a wall mounted TT shelf and a diy RCM. Brace the floor against record skips and for tighter bass.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
Yup - that college thing starts for me in '13, I can probably kiss any thoughts of a new amp bye-bye.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »
The "second system" excuse to buy more gear :D

So how do you decide which system to use?

I'm toying with the idea of a tube amp for my maggie 3.6s. need at least 120 watt/channel so big money here. :shock:

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Putz

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 09:44:27 AM »
I've upgraded TT from Project Debut to a VPI Aries. Just got a used SDS which is arriving next week so that's technically a 2012 upgrade. Have the Vista phono pre and just had my Cambridge 640P guts totally modded. Got a VPI 16.5 RCM.

Would still like a better phono Pre, a second 10.5i armwand and add a Dynavector 20xx MC to go with my Grado Reference Sonata. Would love to see the Fozgo tour make it to NJ to help dial in my VPI.

Went from Rocket 850s to Salk Songtowers. Would like better Salks, the new Philarmonics made by Dennis Murphy, Sonus Faber Cremonas, etc.

Bought my first Tube Integrated, Jolida 502brc and put Penta kt88s in it. Would like to get some Black Treasures.

Another possibility is to get a Tube Preamp and get my old SAE 2400L tuned up and back in service.

Problem with all these upgrades is I keep putting off room treatments which would probably make more of a difference.

Youngest is a HS Soph so a couple of years before College becomes a burden again. 2 down, one to go.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 09:45:37 AM »
Yup - that college thing starts for me in '13, I can probably kiss any thoughts of a new amp bye-bye.

Mine too. Trying to convince her that college is waaayyy overrated. She should be focusing on "marrying well". Ya know, a doctor, lawyer or a consultant like BobM.

BTW, If she does take my advice, can I still use the 529 tax free savings to buy gear?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:53 PM »
In the college years now.Ffirst one in, but she did manage to pull in some significant scholarship dollars, so that's great. Second one starts in 3 years (1 year overlap for both will make that particular year a very, very poor one for me).

I'm copying library CD's. :-k
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 01:01:11 PM »
Speaker cables. The Kimber 8TC is now the oldest (6 or7 yrs) piece in my system and I know I can do better. However, the cost may be prohibitive because of the 20 ft length required.
No kids to put through college, though...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

musicfile

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
Hmm perhaps a new arm
the Audiomods arm looks tasty
Maybe some new tubes 6ca7 for my Dodds

Offline Putz

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »

Mine too. Trying to convince her that college is waaayyy overrated. She should be focusing on "marrying well". Ya know, a doctor, lawyer or a consultant like BobM.

BTW, If she does take my advice, can I still use the 529 tax free savings to buy gear?

If she's taking Audio Nervosa 101, I believe you can consider the gear "course materials".