Author Topic: Minimizing Tube Rush / Hissing  (Read 18259 times)

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Minimizing Tube Rush / Hissing
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions.  Will try them all over the holiday weekend.  Right now it is very distracting with the hiss.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
Thanks changing the tubes got rid of the rush/hiss but now I am hearing a slight hum which does not change when I increase the volume.  Need to trace it down  :duh

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 08:02:16 AM »
Thanks changing the tubes got rid of the rush/hiss but now I am hearing a slight hum which does not change when I increase the volume.  Need to trace it down  :duh

Sounds like the ol transfomer Hum Drum. Good luck with that one.
    First check your wire management, meaning to not let them touch each other. Keep them at least 6" apart. Next distance between components, keeping the transformers from being to close to each other.
    Use only one outlet to avoid ground loops. If your CDP has a ground lift switch try it. Good luck

charles
SMA

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »

Sounds like the ol transfomer Hum Drum. Good luck with that one.
    First check your wire management, meaning to not let them touch each other. Keep them at least 6" apart. Next distance between components, keeping the transformers from being to close to each other.
    Use only one outlet to avoid ground loops. If your CDP has a ground lift switch try it. Good luck

charles
SMA

Yep, I am going to disconnect everything and work my way in isolating the hum.  Never had any ground loop hum before so that should help.

Even with the slight hum I am enjoying the sound from the GR-Research V2, Vincent amp, Bella L/P and Logitech Touch.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 11:52:05 AM »
Found the culprit.  I get hum when the receiver is connected to the preamp.  If I go directly from the receiver to amp no hum.  It seems that I am creating a ground loop between the preamp and receiver.  The receiver has a ground post.  Do I just run a regular electrical cable from that grounding post to a common ground or do I need specific size/gauge/solid core electrical wire between the two?

Thanks for all the help so far  :thumb:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 12:21:25 PM »
Deepak, by any chance do you have cable TV connected to the receiver? Cable is ground is notoriously noisy. If you do have cableTV hum or other sat/FM antenna ground loop issues, try this great little isolation tranny from jensen transformers: Model VRD-1FF
http://www.jensentransformers.com/iso_vid.html

Also make sure the cable is earthed prior to this isolator. I use these lightning protector/ground blocks for grounding my incoming coax sources:
Altelicon AL-FFFF
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=20928

Glad to hear that the tube rush is all better, and the hum is not in your stereo system. Now it's time to kick back with some tunes, eh?

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
Found the culprit.  I get hum when the receiver is connected to the preamp.  If I go directly from the receiver to amp no hum.  It seems that I am creating a ground loop between the preamp and receiver.  The receiver has a ground post.  Do I just run a regular electrical cable from that grounding post to a common ground or do I need specific size/gauge/solid core electrical wire between the two?

Thanks for all the help so far  :thumb:

Hi. I might recommend an EVS Ground Enhancer on that ground terminal Deepak. Allthough I use many GE's in my system, I personally use an Acoustic Revive Ground Conditioner on my processor but a $25 Ground Enhancer surely beats my $450 unit.  :rofl:
http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/EVS_Ground_Enhancers.html

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
I plugged in the cable tv into the APC S15 unit and from there to cable box and the hum is gone.  I am in business now  aa

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Awesome!

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2011, 05:05:13 PM »
Good news!
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Awesome!

Thanks for all the suggestions, which helped identify the culprit.  Never had any issues when I had Verizon Fios or Directv.  As soon as I get Comcast I get hum.  I should call them and bitch at them  :duh

Offline TooManyToys

• Seeking Help
  • Jersey Shore (Not Seaside!)
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
Now I know who to ask about TV service.    Maybe I'll wait until you get Dish.  :)
If it's too loud, you're too middle aged.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 03:28:59 AM »
Now I know who to ask about TV service.    Maybe I'll wait until you get Dish.  :)

No chance.  As soon as my contract with Comcast is up I am going back to Verizon Fios.