Author Topic: Peter Gabriel - New Blood  (Read 3253 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Peter Gabriel - New Blood
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
Gabriel's newest album, New Blood, was released this year.  Its consists mainly of songs from his "traditional" albums (as opposed to his soundtracks, projects and shared-credit productions).  It is far from a greatest hits collection, though, in that many of the songs are lesser known tracks, especially to those unfamiliar with Gabriel's albums. All of the tracks are performed with a symphony orchestra.

Before you start choking on your tongue, this is not what you think.  Most aging Prog rockers have attempted to orchestrate their music at some point, bowing to pressure from their record labels or because they were pompous enough to believe their music deserved the same treatment as Mozart's and Beethoven's. Efforts like "Symphonic Yes" are unmitigated disasters, perhaps because the production wasn't given enough thought or that the music was too weak to deal with the scrutiny orchestration invites.  Gabriel, however, is different (surprised?- I hope not).

New Blood's tracks were specially selected based on how well they would translate to the orchestration. The arrangements are careful to mirror the sounds of the original recordings, but not mimic or mock them. The orchestra, along with Gabriel's new, experienced take on his songs, bring new life to the tunes, some of which are over thirty years old. 

Most symphonic re-dos of rock collapse under their own weight.  Gabriel's music on New Blood soars.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Peter Gabriel - New Blood
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »
I *totally* agree.   Peter Gabriel came out with 'Scratch My Back' not all that long ago and I was totally blown away by it.  'New Blood' is a followup that is equally as good and, in many ways, just extends his skills and talents as an orchestral composer.  I just can't get enough of it.

I was a fan of Gabriel based on some of his earlier work, but what he's doing now is just so innovative and impressive.

Definitely worth checking out!