Author Topic: How to add wireless functionality to a desktop PC  (Read 6010 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
How to add wireless functionality to a desktop PC
« on: October 01, 2011, 10:29:15 AM »
Hi smart computer people of AN-

I currently use a laptop as a music server, so it has built-in wireless. But the laptop gets moved around and therefore the external music storage drive keeps getting plugged/unplugged.

If I set up a desktop PC, I'd still need wireless to feed two (or 3) Squeezebox Duets and my main SBox Touch.

I assumed I'd need an internal wireless card for the desktop, but I see on Newegg these USB wireless adapters - Are these equivalent to an internal card, so that you just plug one in and BAM you have wireless from your desktop?  Gotta love USB.

Thanks guys

-Mike

Offline shadowlight

Re: How to add wireless functionality to a desktop PC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Mike,

A usb wireless card will work.  You might have to install the drivers and configure it for wireless.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
Mike -

D is correct, but, if you're going to use a dedicated box, why not set it up close enough to the router that you can hardwire it. You remove one more point of failure.

I have my media server hardwired to an 8 port switch which is hardwired to the router. Music goes wifi to Duet receiver in next room where my gear is. And I'm contemplating running a wire from switch to basement then back up to receiver.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:38:31 PM »
Can I do both wired and wireless at the same time, from a desktop PC?

I could do the wired from the desktop directly to the Touch, but will need the wireless to do the Duets. Will this then be the same network, so the Touch and Duets will still work seamlessly w/ each other, off the same hard-drive under the control of the same Squeeze software? I don't want to have to tell the Touch to work w/ the desktop, and the Duets to work separately w/ the wireless. Sorry I have no idea if this is comprehensible or not!

The issue right now is that my son insists that he be hard-wired to the router so he doesn't lag while gaming  :roll: and in the winter his PC (and his friend's who's been staying with us on an extended sleepover (18 months now)) is up in his room where I can't hard-wire to the Touch.  I got a Linksys WiFi access point for these times, so I can run wireless from the router to the access point, then wired from the AP to the Touch so I can turn the wireless off on the Touch.  Whew...

In the summer when they are in the basement (temp reasons) I do run wireless to the router, then wired from the router to the Touch.

Amazing how a so-called purist audiophile now rips music to a hard drive, sends the signal wirelessly to a router which sends it wirelessly to an access point which sends it wired to a Touch which sends it wired to a DAC which sends the analog signal to the preamp etc. !! :shock:

djdube525

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
If there is a possibility that wireless range may be an issue... there are also ethernet powerline adapters which work very well. Netgear makes a very solid line of products.

Edit: Yes... the wireless USB adapter/keys that plug in will work like having a dedicated card.  Newegg had an interesting deal on one this morning (Trendnet micro USB wireless N adapter for $18), but i see they sold out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:53:04 PM by djdube525 »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »
Short answer - yes.

You can mix wifi with wired, they are simply the 'delivery' method. With Duet you tell it, via the handset, where to look for the music, I assume the Touch has same functionality somewhere.

And I get the 'gaming' aspect, though my son never got beyond WoW on his laptop so wifi was fine. His xbox is also wifi, he complains some times, but I ignore it.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

AcidJazz

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »
Amazing how a so-called purist audiophile now rips music to a hard drive, sends the signal wirelessly to a router which sends it wirelessly to an access point which sends it wired to a Touch which sends it wired to a DAC which sends the analog signal to the preamp etc. !! Shocked

Mhnnn...only yesterday I heard a HD streaming source on a system I know well, and frankly the sonic penalty was very notable, what do you think as per your system?

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
For the amount of time I've spent listening to the system via the Touch, I've done very little direct comparison between it vs the digital out from a cd player. The Touch into the DAC sounds very good, at least to me, so I don't compare much to keep the nervosa down to the sane side of things.

When I think of how I could compare-

- CD player analog out, stock CD vs.
- CD player analog out, ripped CD (EAC?/ dBpoweramp? / other? / gold CD? silver CD? black cd?)
- CD player digital out into DAC
- Wireless Touch (yeah but which power supply?) analog out into pre
- Wired Touch analog out into pre
- Touch digital out into EE DAC w/ tube output (hmmm BNC? RCA?)
- Touch digital out into DAC w/ SS output
- Ahh, but what about op-amps - I could make maybe a dozen different combos w/ the ones I have for the DAC
- Touch with Soundsmith (?) mods or without

and on and on and on...

Yup. Nevosa allright!

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
You can mix wifi with wired, they are simply the 'delivery' method. With Duet you tell it, via the handset, where to look for the music, I assume the Touch has same functionality somewhere

cool. That's the way to go then if I move to a desktop- Best quality, wired from PC to Touch, for the good system.
Wireless for the Duets around the house.
 :thumb:

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
For the amount of time I've spent listening to the system via the Touch, I've done very little direct comparison between it vs the digital out from a cd player. The Touch into the DAC sounds very good, at least to me, so I don't compare much to keep the nervosa down to the sane side of things.

When I think of how I could compare-

- CD player analog out, stock CD vs.
- CD player analog out, ripped CD (EAC?/ dBpoweramp? / other? / gold CD? silver CD? black cd?)
- CD player digital out into DAC
- Wireless Touch (yeah but which power supply?) analog out into pre
- Wired Touch analog out into pre
- Touch digital out into EE DAC w/ tube output (hmmm BNC? RCA?)
- Touch digital out into DAC w/ SS output
- Ahh, but what about op-amps - I could make maybe a dozen different combos w/ the ones I have for the DAC
- Touch with Soundsmith (?) mods or without

and on and on and on...

Yup. Nevosa allright!

Mike,

You might also want to add the Dynobot software mods for the Touch.  Reading up on the comments and it does require a bit of tweaking to get it right but might be worth it.  

https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/squeezebox-touch-tweaks

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=89359
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:49:23 PM by shadowlight »

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, D. 

When I start putting the room back together I'll look into that.

I also need to re-install the Soundcheck mods since I had to do a factory reset to use the Touch w/ a USB stick as the music source for our company picnic.