Author Topic: Midrange resonance in large odd shaped room  (Read 16164 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Midrange resonance in large odd shaped room
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 03:23:39 AM »
The other space doesn't sound bad at all.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 06:29:36 PM »
A long day of cleaning, unpacking and throwing out old junk finally yielded a new room to try out for stereo. Carl said it was the best audio room in the house and I would love it, so who am I to argue!

Pics 1, 2, 3, 4

Dammit! He is right AGAIN!  It sounds great in there! :) It is not perfect, but has a nicer feel overall, and has a lot more potential than downstairs. I think it might sound better than downstairs already. I put some 4" panels at sidewall 1st reflections, which sounded very nice, makes the background seem quieter, more focused. Playing some adult contemporary music (aka "one note bass" music for souped up old Honda Civics) sounded pretty woolly in the bottom. I had already tried the GIK tritraps in the front corners, but didn't like that. So I laid them down along the floor/wall starting just in front of the speakers. Voila. Bass much better. No problems with soundstaging or tone when they are out in front of the speakers.

I don't know how I'm gonna get the big speakers up there, or if they will be too bass boomy, but that's for another day.  Bass drivers are 40 pounds each, so I guess I can take it apart first.  :D Carl you're invited to help that day.  8)

There is still a good amount of room sound that will need some more panels to tighten up, but overall sounds OK for a first day. My wife has already told her decorator she thinks she has regained the Living room. I am looking back over my shoulder with slight anxiety.

Now for the bad news: I started listening up there today with the Cary integrated, it sounded pretty good, as always, but a little compressed as always. I brought up the Manley Snappers. Nice and tight, huge sound, unlimited dynamics and ..... Welcome back shout! I was soooo happy to hear that!!  :x  I will try rolling some tubes through them. Any suggestions for smooth EL34 or equivalent? Any experience with Groove Tubes E34LS? That's what I have now. It's a bastardized GE copy with higher than normal output, the changes could be effecting tone. These things are made for guitar amps after all. The thing that gets me is the amps did not have this sound when they were new and harsh. It came on after a lot of hours of burn in.

But I'm happy to have moved upstairs, at least for now. I'm also happy to have discovered the shout is a voice of the manley's. If I can fix that by rolling some tubes, the amp won't excite the room as badly and I might be able to stay downstairs and tighten that up a bit with Bryan's cloud.

All in all a fun day!
Rich

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 06:56:28 PM »
I don't know how I'm gonna get the big speakers up there, or if they will be too bass boomy, but that's for another day.  Bass drivers are 40 pounds each, so I guess I can take it apart first.  :D Carl you're invited to help that day.  8)

Hey...Rich!

If it's upstairs you go, then I can bring over my appliance dolly and we can tug and roll those 'big-boys' up your stairs  :shock: !
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 08:03:09 PM »
That is a great ideer, thanks Steve! I am picturing you driving it over here in the convertible haha   :?

I was also thinking of taking out the big drivers to reduce it under 100 pounds to make it easier to haul up there. It is very easy to take them out.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 05:09:56 AM »
Cool!  I figured it'd be at least 'different-good' in your upstairs room.  The first time I went to Rich's house I spotted this particular room as an ideal location for hifi... but it was adjacent to kids' rooms... so, I kind of ruled it out.  

If you put as much effort into the upstairs room as you have in the downstairs room, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what it will do.  I'm just worried the bass will carry through into the kids' rooms... and the other real-world compromises of having your system in that location.  You may end up with 2 systems. ;)

I think the cloud idea is a great one, btw... that'll effectively be one big bass trap.  

I have no problem helping you with the speakers.  With the mid/high-panels out, you'll have a good place to grab without having to worry about the most sensitive part.  You take the high end, I'll take the heavy part.. I'm well now so I shouldn't have any issue toting a couple hundred pounds.  That'd be a good job for next week.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 05:28:35 AM »
The top drivers all together weigh about 10 pounds, but the bottom three drivers probably weigh 100 and a lot easier to remove. The top mids are loaded into big PVC pipes, so you can't grip inside their holes anyway. I hope the fix is done by next week. At least that's when I'll start bugging them.

I cranked up the volume and listened in the kids rooms last night, they could hear it but not bad at all. I can replace a hollow core door to get  a lot more drop, and if necessary I can put a layer of quietrock inside one of the bedrooms or wherever. They are very sound sleepers though. I think it is quieter now than playing downstairs when the sound came up through the hollow floor. And I had to crank it high to get over the room distortion (or so it seemed) We'll see how bad it is with the big speakers.
Thanks for the offer to help Carl and Steve.
Rich

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 09:21:03 AM »
Floorplan

Bryan, and everyone, what do you think about the rear wall being 3 different lengths from the front?  :?   Would an acoustic barrier to shorten the length to one consistent length be better, or is max volume and length better. How bout the small vertical wall above the listening position? Best location for speakers and listening position relative to front wall? Any advice is appreciated to help shorten the trial and error method...  :wink:

I have about 12+ different size and thickness 703 panels to experiment with, plus 15 Adapts, which I intend to hang as many as I can fit. I can treat any surface as necessary. I will wait to scan room until the speakers are fixed. I think those small speakers are not fully exciting the bass freqs.
Thanks,
Have a nice weekend!
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 11:43:20 AM »
I'd not worry about the rear height.  Anything to break it up is only a bennie.

I'd put the Adept seams in the front corners and potentially along the front wall/ceiling intersection.  

I'd also use some of your 703 to construct some sort of straddling absorber for the intersection where the ceiling meets the rear wall (the part that goes up the full height.  This will provide additional bass control that is not at ear level (which you seem to be sensitive to) and also negate any 'horn effect' from that upper corner.

There is more we can do but I'd try those things first - as well as a couple of panels behind the speakers to deal with the SBIR again - when you get the big speakers up there, you'll want it.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 11:54:10 AM »
Thanks Bryan, I will give that a shot. I'll let you know who how it's coming in a few weeks when things get back to normal.