Author Topic: My new PC build  (Read 27513 times)

jsaliga

Re: My new PC build
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »
The 3 video cards are for running a panoramic display configuration with three 24" 120Hz monitors:

My desktop resolution is 5832 x 1080.  The odd horizontal resolution is used to provide parallax correction for the monitor bezels.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:30:35 AM by jsaliga »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:52 AM »
Simply amazing.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
Nice rig Jerome!   Ever try any driving games? ;)  Speakers look nice too! Are those AudioKinesis?

jsaliga

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
Thanks guys.  A lot of time and money went into getting this done but it was worth it.

Gaming wasn't the only consideration in putting this computer together.  As you might recall when I started out all I really wanted was a decently powered computer in a nice HTPC case to install in my audio rack.  A lot has changed since then.  :-k

After rethinking what I wanted out of this system, I came to the conclusion that a larger workspace would improve my productivity.  I'm an IT consultant and frequently work on client networks through secure VPN tunnels.  Having three full sized displays prevents a lot of wasted time resizing and moving windows around.

Naturally, it is also great for gaming.  I like games that don't have much of a learning curve since I don't have a lot of time available to learn a complex control system.  So most simulations are out.  I tend to play shooters and the panoramic display really does improve the gaming experience.

You guessed right Rich.  The speakers are from AudioKinesis.  They are a custom built based on the Planetarium Alpha, with integrated down firing subs.  I have also added a pair of satellite subs and the 1,000 watt amp to give me the full Swam sub-woofer set up.  I'm very happy with the speakers.  Duke is terrific to work with.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »
Very sweet! I have heard only great things about Duke, and his products. I don't remember ever hearing them, though. Maybe RMAF.

On my first networking job I had a Toshiba 486 laptop with 10" screen and 30 minute battery life. Got the job done, and lots of fun...  Sounds like you have a bit more responsibility...   

jtwrace was extolling the virtues of multiple, optimally placed subs when he came to my last meet. Sounds like the way to go.