Author Topic: new laptop help  (Read 5023 times)

evan1

new laptop help
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:33:24 AM »
Just got a new Dell laptop, nothing fancy. Windows 7, 2GB ,250 MB hd. as I'm viewing the internet such as forums the computer sometimes freezes up and sometimes disconnects saying windows is having problems connecting. Never had this problem with my 5 year old laptop with XP. Is there some settings maybe I'm missing. I only did a recommended setup as I don't use it for anything else

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: new laptop help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:05 AM »
Are you using wifi?

evan1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »
Ethernet with Fios. I ran a troubleshoot and cleaned up some unnecessary stuff so I'll see what happens

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:48:29 PM »
Check for Win 7 updates, check for driver updates of the ethernet device.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »
If it has "free" Norton Security subscription that could easily be causing the problems. I would remove that and run MS Security Essentials instead. It is very good, and free.

evan1

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »
If it has "free" Norton Security subscription that could easily be causing the problems. I would remove that and run MS Security Essentials instead. It is very good, and free.

No norton for me. i'm just using the free version of McAfee but I'm going to use the MS when I get around to down loading it. I found an optional fast ethernet driver update and installed it so I'll see what happens

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 03:18:08 AM »
Dump the McAfee ASAP.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 04:26:18 AM »
Yeah, I'm not a Norton opr a McAfee fan. They're extremely bloated and malware walks right through them. So what do you use instead?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 04:36:00 AM »
Agreed.  I run Avast and MS Security Essentials.  Avast can slow things a little bit when downloading new definitions but other than that, it's pretty light and stays out of the way.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley