Author Topic: What do you like for 6922/6DJ8/E88CC type tubes  (Read 8767 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
What do you like for 6922/6DJ8/E88CC type tubes
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »
Greetings,

We are currently finishing up the input stage for our new high power Hybrid mono bloc amplifiers. The current prototype is sounding very good but I have done all the initial listening and testing with only 1 set of decent tubes. I have a pair of Siemens E88CC tubes in it now that I am liking very much.

To give you a brief discription of the units.....The amps use a zero can "buffer' at the front end feeding a high power new Class D output stage (no, not a cheap 'off the shelf' amp).

Aside from current production stuff and very expensive NOS, what are your thoughts, likes and dislikes with some of the tubes from this family.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: What do you like for 6922/6DJ8/E88CC type tubes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
I had some 6922's that I got from Upscale Audio from his private stock (e.g. expensive) about 10 years ago. He doesn't carry them anymore (and I forgot the brand now, they may have been Radiotechnique's) but they were very, very nice. So when one went microphonic on me I picked up a pair of the "rocket logo" 6922's that he sells. They were almost as good, and inexpensive.

I've tried several other brands over the years, including Siemans, Mullards, Tele's, etc. but I keep coming back to these in the end. In fact, I picked up some additional spare sets even cheaper on e-bay direct from a Soviet source. You need to get the tubes made in the Voskhod, Kaluga factory. Here's a link to more info on different Russian factories and their logo's.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/russtube.html
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
Matsushita 6922 1970s is nice. Mullard tooling. Nicely warm but not too lush.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:29:34 PM »
I really liked the 60's -Early 70's Sylvania 6DJ8, in the black and yellow box.  I've not been very impressed by any of the Russian tubes I've tried.  I also liked the JAN (Joint Army-Navy) 6922's...they came in a plain white box and i think they were from the same vintage.

Bigfish8

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »
I believe one of the highest regarded 6922 tubes was a Mullard made in the Blackburn Factory.  They are difficult to find, expensive and some will wear an RCA Label.

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 05:57:52 AM »
Depends on what character you are looking for. Detailed and lively go Siemans or Tele, next up Amperex same but more body, mullard richer and fuller, RCA richest of the bunch. I perfer to compliment the next tube in line. If I was using a rich output tube than Semeins or Tele and visa versa.
   Caps used also have a impact on tube selection. I would not use Siemans either a Mullard or RCA. IMO there are no best 6DJ8s it depends on the application. For example when I use a Mullard 6DJ8 as the input for my amp the driver tube is a Phillips 5687, when I use an Amperex 6DJ8 I perfer the Tungsol 5687. Which all depends on the output tube used. when using an RCA 211 output its the Amperex and Tungsol and for the GE 211 the Mullard and Phillips. Go figure. Hope this helps.

charles

PS forgot a good one the Chelmers and also agree with Richadoo about the Matushitas, great for ARC gear as inputs.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:04:47 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:58:42 AM »
Just like everything else in this hobby, it's all about synergy........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »
I like warmer and lusher sound...  which should mean I like Mullards... but most of the time, I don't.... they tend to sound flat and dull at times while trying to be warmer sounding...

having said that, I've really enjoyed the CV2493 Mullards in just about anything I've tried them in...  nice tubes and not too outrageous on the price...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:30:31 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know it is all subjective and personal when it comes to tubes. I wasn't looking for what tube would be best in this design as you never know where and who's system a product will end up. I was simply looking for some characteristics by those who have experience with particualar tubes.

Personally, I prefer the presentation to be very open, detailed and airy rather than warm and fuzzy. Bass needs to be fast and artculate. Overall the Siemens are doing a great job. I will give up low end extension for speed.

The design does not have any additional tubes in the circuit as this stage directly feeds a Class D output stage. We have been working on this tube stage for some time and now it's time to see what different tubes will bring to the table.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com