Author Topic: 211 Vacum Tubes  (Read 12424 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
211 Vacum Tubes
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:08:14 AM »
  Well won a auction on a'gon for $100. The only other 211 that competes is the NOS RCA 211. United are the Holy Grail if you can find them, circa $1500 per pair. Military 211s were designed to last over 10,000 hours. If one is lucky enough to find a pair your done for a long time.
  Compared to the Shugang 211s that came with the amp [ 2 pairs] its no contest. The Shugangs are bright and shouty. The full music 211s when working were a tad smoother but still shouty. The Sophia 211 is similar to the RCA but darker. The NOS 211s have an edge in sonics.
  In the intrum using Valve Art 211s, basically a low noise Shugang. Better than the supplied 211s but still shouty. Seems to be a trait of Shugang made 211s no matter what brand.
  I have yet to hear the new Shugang series which is stated  resembles the GE 211 in sonics. Maybe the Shugang house sound has changed with 211s Unless you try them you'll never know. An expensive experiment. Their treasure series has seen accolades so I'm hoping the 211s follow suit. Demo tubes would be a great idea or at least a trial period for return.
  Oh oh just found some GE 242Cs a replacement for the 211 oh my, where is my checkbook ? At $600 a pair this is a steal. Two pairs $1200 and done for 20,000 hours.  :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: 211 Vacum Tubes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
  Well won a auction on a'gon for $100. The only other 211 that competes is the NOS RCA 211. United are the Holy Grail if you can find them, circa $1500 per pair. Military 211s were designed to last over 10,000 hours. If one is lucky enough to find a pair your done for a long time.
  Compared to the Shugang 211s that came with the amp [ 2 pairs] its no contest. The Shugangs are bright and shouty. The full music 211s when working were a tad smoother but still shouty. The Sophia 211 is similar to the RCA but darker. The NOS 211s have an edge in sonics.
  In the intrum using Valve Art 211s, basically a low noise Shugang. Better than the supplied 211s but still shouty. Seems to be a trait of Shugang made 211s no matter what brand.
  I have yet to hear the new Shugang series which is stated  resembles the GE 211 in sonics. Maybe the Shugang house sound has changed with 211s Unless you try them you'll never know. An expensive experiment. Their treasure series has seen accolades so I'm hoping the 211s follow suit. Demo tubes would be a great idea or at least a trial period for return.
  Oh oh just found some GE 242Cs a replacement for the 211 oh my, where is my checkbook ? At $600 a pair this is a steal. Two pairs $1200 and done for 20,000 hours.  :thumb:

charles

What kind of 211s did you win on ebay?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
  Geneal Electric 4TC from 1942. OK men go into grandpas attic and start looking . don't frget the garage either. :thumb:

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

evan1

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:16:37 AM »
  Geneal Electric 4TC from 1942. OK men go into grandpas attic and start looking . don't frget the garage either. :thumb:

charles

It's the truth. I got a great stash of Telefunken's from an old 1960's Tandberg reel to reel from my fathers attic

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:46 AM »
Interesting find. I have single RCA & GE 211s hanging out besides the pairs used. With only one Full Music to use I experimented using the Full Music tube with both the RCA and GE. It was hard to discern a difference with two different tubes. The GE is closer to the tone of the Full Music than the RCA . A close call with both the RCA and GE a bit more refined if anything and that is nit picking. Looking for a bride for the single RCA and GE 211. Can never have enough. If ya see one please email me. Thanks.

charles

Niteshade

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 07:20:10 AM »
Charles,

I almost forgot about the 811A tube. There's a good chance one of these could be subbed for the 211. I don't know how much power your 211's are dissipating. It would still require a different filament power supply, since 811's require 6.3 volts @ 4 amps. What is the power rating of that amp?

BTW: The big brother to an 811A is a 572B. This would work if the 811 won't. A 6.3 volt supply is still necessary. There are some very good new 811's & 572's sold at RF Parts.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
Charles,

I almost forgot about the 811A tube. There's a good chance one of these could be subbed for the 211. I don't know how much power your 211's are dissipating. It would still require a different filament power supply, since 811's require 6.3 volts @ 4 amps. What is the power rating of that amp?

BTW: The big brother to an 811A is a 572B. This would work if the 811 won't. A 6.3 volt supply is still necessary. There are some very good new 811's & 572's sold at RF Parts.

Not sure of the power, will have to find out. Thanks for the suggestions.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:38:56 AM »
Charles,

Not sure of the power, will have to find out. Thanks for the suggestions.

charles

Be vewy careful......

This is not just a plug in change.  The 211 has 10v filaments. To get the 6.3v required to run these tubes you will need to do major surgery on the power supplies. This will put you in uncharted waters and completely on your own if you ever need to service the amps.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
 Tanks Tom. I'm done modding these babies. Sound great. Maybe a different coupling cap or two but that's it , I swear [ Klingon oath]. Blair I'm thinking more 805 than anything else. Which requires only a bias change. Now a new amp using those tubes might prove very interesting.
  After hearing your Beacon Pre I believe you are going to be a very busy camper. If you time those tube choices sound interesting.

charles

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 04:47:26 PM »
Lots of good info here.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »
  Just scored a matched pair of RCA triple beam 4-TC 211s on E-bay circa 1942. Hoping they arrive safely from Virgina. A lucky day it is. :D

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:56 PM »
211 ... 212 ... whatever it takes  :lol:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
Hoping they arrive safely from Virgina.

[-o<

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
  Just scored a matched pair of RCA triple beam 4-TC 211s on E-bay circa 1942. Hoping they arrive safely from Virgina. A lucky day it is. :D

charles

Well they arrived safely and work oh my ! Right off the bat a completely different character than the GE 211s. A berry berry happy camper right now.

charles

Offline tmazz

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
A berry berry happy camper right now.

Who did you buy the tubes from, Chico Esquela?  :lol:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9