Author Topic: Polk Sale  (Read 8198 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Polk Sale
« on: May 17, 2010, 06:32:06 AM »
I saw this over on NewEgg. Polk Monitor 7 in Cherry. Regular price is 400, NewEgg price regular 220, this Sunday May 23 it will be on Shell Shocker sale. Probably way under $200. You might have to use this link to get the price.
http://e.newegg.com/servlet/cc6?gLmkQTWAQYYV0b8axawee5965Q8wfVaVWTVplLuXgmuVCTqTDRqRSA

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Polk Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
Cracks me up... $2.99 shipping!  They're 50lbs each!  :rofl:

But note: That's the price per speaker - not the pair.   But still, nice price for the start of a 2nd system or a low-end HT system.  Here's a link to more detail:  

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/monitor70/

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:03:18 AM by mdconnelly »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
I saw a post from one of the reviewers that indicated that Newegg sold these for $159 each not too long ago. 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 04:07:04 AM »
Monitor 60 is on Memorial Day sale for $109 each, reg $300.  :shock:   Offer code = EMCYSNS63

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290018

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 06:56:07 AM »
Wow, that's an amazing price - but... has anyone heard them?  Just curious...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:27:54 AM »
They probably sound better than $224 delivered.  :thumb:

I couldn't find any specific comments about the M60's sound over on Club Polk forum, but they all seem very happy over there!  :D    Nervosa-free audiophiles are a great inspiration!

Here's some comments from owners...
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor60/?reviews=1
http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/polk-audio/floorstanding-speakers/monitor-60/PRD_326714_1594crx.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B0002Z2416

Mike, I think you should stick with the Aerials...  :thumb:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »
Hah - so not thinking of replacing the Aerials (at least not with the Polks).    Not really considering them but truthfully, I just have a hard time passing on a great deal.  I've got grown kids that just haven't embraced the wonderful world of audio (despite my years of trying - hmmm, I wonder if that was the problem all along ;-)  so was thinking it might be a nice, cheap intro for them.  Nah, Christmas is still too far away.

Tell me the speakers suck and I'll feel much better ;-)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:11:08 PM »
I've never heard these, but about fifteen or so years ago, Polk began making a credible loudspeaker.  Prior to that, as far as I was concerned, they were all smoke and mirrors marketing hype.  

Sandy Gross (a speaker designer whose name accurately described the sound of the speakers he designed) left Polk around 1990 to set up Definitive Technologies ("You can't spell 'deaf' without Def-Tec").  Shortly after his departure, the sound and build quality of Polk speakers improved markedly.  

Polk speakers are by no means a reference, but they make some remarkably good sounding products in the under $1000 category.  If these speakers are anything like the ones I've heard, they are not embarrassing for $600.  For $200, they are a steal...especially for those among us who are somewhat immune to Audio Nervosa.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »
I was not able to find the Monitor series from the homepage, only following Mike's previous link. So I wonder if these are closeouts or maybe leftovers from Gross days? Or just my bad nav.  Anyway the ones that CAN be found from their homepage look more sophisticated with fancy hitech tweeters, etc.

In humble defense of Sandy Gross, I have a DefTech Pro Cinema 60 (5.1) system, the smallest speakers they ever made. I upgraded the sub which really sucked, with a Brian Bunge custom sub and set it up properly, setup the receiver correctly, and damn if it doesn't sound really good. Sometimes it ticks me off how good it sounds, if you know what I mean... Especially playing science documentaries about super massive black holes with those eery thick dark synth pads. I keep thinking i I wish my stereo sounds like this.  :duh   I bought that whole kit, Toshiba digital CRT, Onkyo Rx, deftech speaks, Samsung player back 8 years ago. It all still works perfectly and sounds and looks great. TiVo has not stood up as well, but some duct tape, a donor chassis, and steady diet of AAs it survives. Viva la Crutchfield Scratch and Dent!

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 02:46:24 PM »

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/monitor60/

This is the Monitor 60 at Polk's site. 

No need to feel bad about DefTec's.  Even Dexter Gordon had a few good records  ;)

Old Polk and DefTec just make me spew bile.  Gross marketed them as if they were the end all and be all of audio when, for the most part, their products were poorly designed and made of cheap, inferior parts.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 05:01:21 PM »
Yeah but who else has chrome plated tweeter domes? Sweeeet!    :yay2:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
Yeah but who else has chrome plated tweeter domes? Sweeeet!    :yay2:

Chrome plated tweeters??? Where did they source them from, the J.C.Whitney catalog?   :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »
Could be, lots of chrome parts in there... Haven't seen one of those in a long time...

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »
Could be, lots of chrome parts in there... Haven't seen one of those in a long time...

Yeah, the home of the chrome. Brings back memories. I remember pouring over those catalogs whe I was in high school. Like everything else, they are web based now:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/

Sorry, but it's just not the same.  :(
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 07:54:58 AM »
The Polk vintage forum discusses, among a number of topics, mods numerous and particular to the SDA series. Review of the vintage forum shows the SDA series being held as the most respected speaker effort by Polk Audio.

My own walk in this landscape over the past eight years includes transforming my pair of studio SDA 1Cs by: replacing the SL2000 tweeters referenced by richidoo (they were definitely shrill in areas) for the newer silk-dome RDO-194 tweets plus diffractionbegone Tweeter Felt Surrounds, having the XOs rebuilt with upgraded components, applying Walker SST on all the internal and external connections, and some other mods (including a custom version of Polk's AI-1 isolation transformer that allows some SDA models to be used with non-common ground amplifiers). My speakers as currently are quite a different beast than the stock speakers I purchased in 1989, and if one has the opportunity, I recommend giving an upgraded pair a listen.

I couldn't say nervosa is over at the Polk vintage forum. Rather, nervosa appears most visible vis a vis sharing / learning about / applying myriad mods to the SDA series, the results of which seem to keep the forum members happy and deferring new speaker purchases. My personal experience disclosed a substantive return on various mod investments - for example, the tweeter replacement and XO redo (XOs were quite rea$onably rebuilt by one of the Polk forum members, which reminds me of how invaluable and heartwarming various audio forums and forum members can be) and had me wishing I'd done those mods years ago. I'd be remiss by not reporting my nervosa in changing out related amps and source components during that period, plus having dedicated 20A circuits installed, too.  
:beer:

Regarding the Monitor 60s, I think they might work for someone who wants a starter system or would like to get something initially going related to home theater.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:59:22 AM by djbnh »
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis