Author Topic: Got a virus  (Read 15480 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Got a virus
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I had that same virus. It's a real bugger. It prevents any other anti-virus software from running, and in some cases from being installed. I finally managed to stop it from running using a script that someone wrote. Then I copied and installed Adware onto a thumb drive and ran it from there in safe mode with no network connection. That blocked it from restarting itself. I then ran Malwarebytes from a thumb drive, which got rid of some of it. Then I went in manually with another piece of software that identifies anything that can possibly execute on the PC and removed all traces of programs that either had no name or were called "Security 2010". That finally removed this nasty bugger, but it took a whole lot of searching for answers to get to that point.

You would think that the Feds would be able to trace this back to the source, since they are asking for money from you to stop the infection.

On another note - Chris (Lonewolf), I surely do recognize that new avatar location (my place).
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
On another note - Chris (Lonewolf), I surely do recognize that new avatar location (my place).

Good....in case I get lost....I'll know where I'm at.... :rofl:

bacobits

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 10:57:04 AM »
I have a Windows 7 machine now. I notice MS now says to load Security Essentials and also one of the common virus program offerings. They had not done that in the past as far as I know. Security Essentials alone was supposed to be enough.
So, I run the MS SE and my free Advast  and it ain't slow here on a dual core i5 machine.
Microsoft must be collecting $$ from those companies listed.?

D

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 11:21:37 AM »
"Microsoft must be collecting $$ from those companies listed.?"

You mean it's all about the money?  Certainly not.  Say it ain't so.

Bob

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »
My guess more of a CYA. I like it. That i5 is fast!!  :thumb:

bacobits

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
It is a Samsung R580. A sweet machine!!!
Again, editors choice in various mags.
Reviews, if I can find it, always read reviews before I buy.
Best Buy on sale.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/office/mobile-computing/notebooks/NP-R580-JSB1US/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:20:34 PM by bacobits »