Author Topic: things French  (Read 4058 times)

shep

things French
« on: March 04, 2007, 01:43:31 AM »
Enough sociology1! Time to put some meat on these old bones. I might as well bring something to the table from my 23 year stint in France. With some notable exceptions, their audio gear is no better or more interesting than others, but as with each country, their music has a unique flavor. I tend to overlook it, which is a mistake. Here's a really nice album on RCA/BMG from 94'. It's called "Enzo Enzo", after the singer. More French than this you cannot get, in the best sense of the word. The lyrics are delightful, the music likewise and the sound is a treat. This is the kind of music the French excell at; witty, light, sweet without being over the top, and totally self-assured. What more to say? get it! I will not tease you with French albums you have no chance to get but I will add to this list as the fancy takes me. I hate stereotypes and nationalistic clichés. I often find myself defending or defining America and things American to the French, even though by now I have no connection to the states except my passport and some dimming memories! Likewise I am quite happy to do the same favor for the French, who are far more complex and multilayered than can be imagined from over there. Musically this is equally true. The french excell in an artisitc slight of hand which consistes
in making tender (and sometimes ferocious)  fun of their own self made clichés. If any of you saw their blockbusting film "Amelie Poulain", you will know the flavor I'm trying to convey. The cd in question gets this just right.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
things French
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 09:10:07 AM »
Is Deux the name of the album? I see it on Amazon, but unfortunately there are no samples.

Her 2001 album Le Jour d'A Cote does have samples, and they sound pretty good!

I also found her website, but it is under construction, so no samples there.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

shep

things French
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:38:39 AM »
That's the one, Deux. From memory and exerience, in the classical domain as well as pop/jazz, the French have some of the best recording engineers in the world!

shep

things French
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:37:22 AM »
I've been remiss. Music is what it's about. Two new albums to consider. The first is a live concert, solo (called "Solo") from the a great French jazz accordianist,
Richard Galliano. It's on Dreyfus, just out. The second is again a solo flight from the legendary Brasilian guitarist, Baden Powell. Apparently recorded just before he died, it is only now released on Harmonia Mundi/Iris Music, called "Rio Das Valsas". Sort of Brasilian Classical.
My op amps have bedded in and are singing so you can trust the sound is excellent on both, although the Galliano has more presence.