Author Topic: Belles new 22A tube preamp and new Ref 150A amplifier  (Read 18282 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Belles new 22A tube preamp and new Ref 150A amplifier
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 11:32:43 AM »
Pre Christmas sale for new units of the 22A and new Ref 150A as a package..... or combine it with any of the other Belles amplifiers... PM, email or call me for package pricing.... you'll be happy you did!!  A great Christmas present for anyone....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
Carl and Shane,
In case you guys want even more 12au7s to sample in your preamps, doctrocilantro is selling some tasty treats on AC

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=75067.0;topicseen

Offline mboldda1

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »
any more updates and opinions on the 22a?
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »
It's still doing its thing and doing it *very* well.  I went to CES to find other new products to compliment this piece and build around it, not to be an alternative... it's going nowhere. 

It's extremely receptive to tube rolling, yet doesn't require super matched tube pairs.  I've been putting in very poorly measuring sets (my tube tester sort of came back to life... it comes and goes but when it is working, I've been checking my cheap ebay finds).  It does a remarkable job of sounding identical regardless of measurement of each half of the triodes and each tube to the other.  I've done SPL measurements as well as subjective listening tests and I'll be darned if I can hear a difference... I could always tell with other tube preamps I've had when the tubes were not matched well. 

This thing has everything I've ever wanted on a preamp.  The remote controls everything.  The HT bypass works like a champ, I'm in the process now of integrating subs by using the second set of preamp outputs into an Audyssey stereo sub EQ unit.  I can use the audio PC in the room to change the correction curves in the sub EQ depending on the main speakers being used.  The bonus is it sounds super and doesn't cost a fortune.

I've been trying to find more modestly priced electronics and that was my goal at CES.  I think I've found a few things and will be bringing them into stock over the next few weeks now that I've finally kicked the flu and bronchitis that I picked up in Vegas.  Will they be better than the exotic stuff?  In some cases, yes... but that has more to do with the fact that some people, regardless of how much money they have to work with, have no idea what good sound is and will manufacture garbage.  But for the most part, no it won't be better than the big boys.  There is a reason that some things cost more.  Sometimes you really do get more if you spend more.  But I'm going to try and focus on the more modest priced stuff for a while and try to show some newer folks just how much performance you can get without spending $100K.....
Shane Sangster

Deton Nation

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:42 AM »
How is the Belles amp in the set?
Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »
It's a GREAT amp, imo. Very natural sound, ballsy, inexpensive according to the normal scale.  When we were listening to the 2 different Belles preamps over at Shanes a few months ago the amp allowed the most subtle differences to come through. No hard SS edge typical of this price. Nice amp.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 07:58:34 AM »
Both the preamp and the amp are my favorite pieces from Dave Belles in his entire lineup.  His more expensive reference stuff has better resolution and detail, but there is something organic about these pieces that I really like.  I guess it's a touch more warmth while still retaining his neutral, PRAT-ty character with really clean, tight grip bottom end.  I really like the amp.  It's got more than enough power to drive most any speaker, will let everything through from upfront without imposing much of a character, and it's a very affordable price relative to the competition I've been looking at lately.  

Edited to add:  much like the 22A preamp, Dave has done some things to bring noise level down in his circuits... Compared to the amp it replaces, there is a noticable drop in noise that allows more subtle nuances to come through a much blacker background. 

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:01:24 AM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster