Author Topic: 211 power tubes  (Read 7487 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
211 power tubes
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:57:33 AM »
Looking for a single used GE VT4C 211. A pair of RCA 211s or United. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: 211 power tubes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »
I've had good luck with Grant. But I've not tried 211s. Pricey, but excellent tubes.

http://grantfidelity.com/site/TJ_Full_Music_211_MKII

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:41:13 AM »
Interesting, I was just about to post here looking for a pair of GE VT4C/211. Rollo, what amp are you using? I just bought a pair of Consonance Cyber 211 amps and love them. In the Enjoy The Music review, Steven loved what the GE tubes did for this amp, even comparing it with the Audio Note Ongaku. He also did a follow up article and tested the TJ full music tubes, which he did not find to his liking.

I just looked at the link Rich proved and see the TJ tubes are now the mark II version, with carbon plate instead of the graphite plate used in the mark I version. I wonder how these new tubes compare to the GE tubes? They are a lot cheaper, that's for sure!
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
Interesting, I was just about to post here looking for a pair of GE VT4C/211. Rollo, what amp are you using? I just bought a pair of Consonance Cyber 211 amps and love them. In the Enjoy The Music review, Steven loved what the GE tubes did for this amp, even comparing it with the Audio Note Ongaku. He also did a follow up article and tested the TJ full music tubes, which he did not find to his liking.

I just looked at the link Rich proved and see the TJ tubes are now the mark II version, with carbon plate instead of the graphite plate used in the mark I version. I wonder how these new tubes compare to the GE tubes? They are a lot cheaper, that's for sure!

I'm using the same Amps MCA. Love them. My favorite tube is the RCA 211 or 805. The GEs are VG as well but it depends on the driver tube and input tube. If using the GE use a Mullard 6DJ8 as input and a Mullard 5687 [ Tungsol is second choice] as the driver. If using the RCA then use an Amprex 6DJ8 as input and Tungsol 5687 as driver
   The new TJ meshplates are looking good. They were voiced to sound like RCAs. Worth a try given the price is better than NOS. KR makes 211s as well but are priced at $1000/pair oh my. I'm considering the meshplates instead of going for crazy money for RCAs or United. The United tubes are very rare and quite expensive. However I still perfer the RCAs. The GEs can be a bit aggressive on the top so the Mullards are critical IMO to even out the tonality.
   As far as tweaks go I changed the input and output caps to V-capTeflons. my amp came with Auricaps NOT the Mundorf silver/oil caps as reviewed. Check to see what caps you have. Powercords have made their way through the system. So far the ESP is the winner. for me. The Consonance cords were hard to beat until the ESPs came along. This amp reveals the merits or faults of powercords like non other I have experienced. Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.