Author Topic: Classic EMI Recordings on Sale $7 each  (Read 5738 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Classic EMI Recordings on Sale $7 each
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:12:24 PM »
Recommendations?  Ones you are getting?
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:13:50 PM »
#50 Perlman performing Vivaldi Four Seasons (wow!)
#4  Rattle conducting Rhapsody in Blue (20th Century Orchestral Jazz-based Classical) magnificent.  Ratlte's pacing is spot on.  Often this is played much too quickly.
#5 Von Karajan conducting Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Pathetique.  von Karajan brings a wonderful sense of drama to every moment.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »
Good choices Allen!  I love Rattle.

There is a Prokofiev I might get. I haven't looked at the  whole list yet.  I already have about 20 records on my wishlist at that store.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:23:43 AM »
  The best reissues on the planet IMO. One might just shite themselves. Yup that good.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 07:14:42 AM »
I ordered a few... can't remember exact numbers:

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons / Itzhak Perlman, Israel Po
Gershwin: Rhapsody In Blue, Songbook, Concerto / Rattle, Donohoe
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 6, Swan Lake / Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic 
Virtuoso Violin / Itzhak Perlman
Chopin: Piano Works / Rudolf Buchbinder
Russian Orchestral Showpieces / André Cluytens, Et Al
Prokofiev: Romeo And Juliet Suites; Respighi / Muti, Philadelphia
Rachmaninov: Études-Tableaux, Op 33 & 39 / Ovchinnikov
Debussy, Ravel, Janácek / Lonquich, Zimmermann
Busoni: Piano Concerto Op 39 / Ogdon, Revenaugh
Opera Choruses / Lamberto Gardelli, Royal Po, Et Al 

Coming postal mail because UPS prices were obscene.  Locals are welcome to borrow and have a listen in your rig to see if you like any of them... if I hate any of them, you're welcome to buy them from me as well :)
Shane Sangster

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 11:50:05 AM »
Enjoy them, Shane.  I can't imagine you hating any of them.  They are all brilliant.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »
Thanks Shane, those are some of my favs, you saved me some money!

I just bought these:
Shostakovich: Symphony No 8 / Previn, London Symphony
Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphosis, Concert Music For Strings & Brass; Bartok / Ormandy
Prokofiev: Symphony-concerto Op 125, Cello Sonata Op 119

Rich
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:05:09 PM by richidoo »

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:45:52 AM »
I figured out why the shipping was so expensive... they ship from multiple places and charge for the multiple shippings....

Amazon, Newegg, as well as many other warehouse outfits ship out of multiple locations across the country because of convenience, shorter distance to final destination, and shorter distance to product manufacturers.  But they either A) have the same stock at each of these locations or b) use different warehouses to store different types of products (newegg does this with their computer parts versus electronics, etc.)  If you place an order and it ships from multiple locations, they don't bump up the price of shipping up front.  That's on them because of the way they choose to do business.

To have a company know up front based on what was being ordered that it would require multiple shipments from different locations and then raise the shipping price to compensate for it is not sitting well with me right now.  At first I thought it was just a ploy to milk more money out of an order and they were charging higher shipping to offset lower sale prices on the products themselves.  Lots of New York outfits do that with electronics.  Lure you in with the lowest sale price then charge obscene shipping.  But this is different.  It's not my problem that the business decided to break up their locations or don't keep stock of everything in both spots.  I certainly shouldn't be paying for it in the shipping price because they can't centrally locate the items I want to order. 

Oh well... my last order from these guys...  rant over now... :)
Shane Sangster

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:30:57 PM »
https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Page?pageName=pages/help.jsp#9

You selected 2nd day delivery which is much more expensive than the standard shipping rate, and sounds like you didn't notice the shipping charge before paying.

The shipping price is scaled by number of discs ordered, not by number of packages. If they all came from one warehouse it would still cost the same. The economy shipping rate is pretty good, using 1st class mail. I paid $4.95 shipping for my 3 disks. Big orders with large box sets still only charge $1 per item after the first.

I have ordered from Arkive Music >50 times, always satisfied with the service and merchandise. They have sent replacement CDs for the asking when I get a defective disk. They donate 10% of orders linked from WCPE website back to the radio station. They respond quickly to email questions. They send a marketing email every weekend with recommended items on sale, I often buy things from that list, their recomendations are good. They reissue out of print CDs under license from the original label on CD-R so the great records are not lost. I think the standard shipping option is cheap compared to other internet sellers. They even added a wishlist feature to the shopping cart after I requested it (maybe some other people did too...)   I like them.

My 3 disks are all backordered. I guess the sale is a success!

Offline stereofool

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
Just completed my order...18 CD's...only $16.95 first class shipping...not so bad.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
the shipping emails had the discs coming from one location listed with part of the shipping charge and the discs coming from the second location listed with the other half of the shipping charge. 

My bad... I didn't even look on their website for a breakdown of shipping charges and how they were calculated.  I still think $12.95 for 11 discs via First Class Mail is ridiculous.  An 8 pound box shipped media mail is $5 and there's no way 11 discs weigh 8 pounds.  I need to be charging people more for shipping when I sell stuff :)  I don't add handling fees and packing prices in there. 

I'll admit that the last time I ordered discs online and had to pay shipping was quite some time ago.  Most of the time when I buy online, it's either digital music or I'm buying from a place that has a sale including free shipping.  So I'm not intimately familiar with what places are charging for shipping these days.  It just seemed really high for a CD's size and weight.  I also buy a lot locally both here and when I'm home in Canada (to get the latest Celtic music that is hard to get down here).  So no shipping there (although there is sales tax upfront instead of at the end of the year on the tax return).

Which ones did you get, Steve?  We'll have to compare and listen at the next meet......
Shane Sangster

Offline stereofool

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 05:17:14 PM »
I can't argue that shipping is MUCH higher than it used to be  ](*,)...but those days probably aren't coming back  :(.

Here are the ones that I ordered:

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons / Itzhak Perlm 
     Russian Orchestral Showpieces / André Cl 
     Ravel: Piano Concertos, Etc / Collard, M 
     Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Etc / 
     Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream / 
     Schumann: Fantasy In C, Papillons, Etc / 
     Debussy, Ravel, Janácek / Lonquich, Zimm 
     Bach: Brandenburg Concertos No 1-4 / Mar 
     Liszt: Les Preludes, Tasso, Etc / Masur, 
     Rachmaninoff: Symphony No 1, Etc / Janso 
     Prokofiev: Romeo And Juliet Suites; Resp 
     Bizet: L'arlésienne Complete Incidental 
     Beethoven: Piano Concertos No 1 & 2 / Vo 
     Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 6, Swan Lake / 
     Franck: Symphony In D Minor / Collard, T 
     Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Suite, Etc / Orma 
     Gershwin: Rhapsody In Blue, Songbook, Co 
     Shostakovich: Symphony No 8 / Previn, Lo 

Hopefully, I will get them ripped soon after they come in.

I would suggest that you get on-board with increased shipping costs...I'm stepping on my own toes here, but I want you to be able to stay in business  :lol:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 05:50:46 PM »
Sorry Shane I assumed you were talking about 2nd day air rates...   that is pretty pricey, but I guess for some people it's worth it to get their fix quicker.

I want to hear some of your Celtic music.

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 02:40:55 AM »
Back when I was a boy and managed the High(er) End Audio shop, we had a very small selection of CDs available for sale to our customers, probably never more than 100 titles.  They were from the tweaky labels: Chesky, Denon, etc.  We mostly kept stock on them so we could but CDs at wholesale for our personal collections.

Shane, have you considered stocking CDs in your shop?