Author Topic: SATA vs ATAPI drives  (Read 14839 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
SATA vs ATAPI drives
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:26:39 PM »
I have 2 Atapi DVD drives (cheapies) and one of those is not operable. I have been thinking about replacing the defective drive with a Plextor 760 A, but found out that it is an Atapi/IDE? drive. Plextor has a 755 SA SATA DVD writer. I have 2 Seagate SATA drives for my music server, so I assume adding an SATA DVD writer is no problem. I am running an AMD 2600+ processor, 1.5G RAM and an ASUS A7V600-X motherboard. I will probably buy the Plextools Pro XL software. Anyone have experience or opinions on SATA DVD drives?
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Imperial

SATA vs ATAPI drives
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 10:09:03 AM »
I have a Plextor dvd burner, the PATA version of the one you are asking about...

There is no difference really, it's more a question on using the right dvd media in the burner...

Imperial

mgalusha

SATA vs ATAPI drives
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 06:21:53 PM »
I'm sure they work fine all though all of my DVD drives are PATA (ATAPI). The big question is do you have a free SATA port in the machine? Many machines only have two built in and if you have two SATA hard disks you might have to buy an add on card if your mobo doesn't have an extra port.

mike

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
SATA vs ATAPI drives
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 12:14:44 AM »
I did end up getting the PATA Plextor drive as the ASUS board didn't have the extra SATA connection. I just didn't want to spend the bucks for another motherboard. I never did install the Plextor software yet as I'm still leaning towards getting the Plextools Pro software. Tirade, over at AC, is ripping and tagging my CD's. I was late getting him the discs and he's been very busy. It has been a long, long time since I've enjoyed my rig. Then there's the annoying "hum" that comes and goes with the D200's, my sudden desire for new speakers like the SP Timepieces or the Omega line even though I have no experience with single drivers. Lots to look forward to.....
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Black Sand Cable

Re: SATA vs ATAPI drives
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:55:20 AM »
I'm late on this but SATA has one big advantage that nobody touched on....superior error correction. There is also the speed factor but that is more application specific.

ik632

Re: SATA vs ATAPI drives
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:49:48 AM »
I have a new Dell with an SATA DVD burner and it seams pretty good, but (without conclusive evidence to back up) it feels slower than my old NEC IDE drive. I also have an external Lite-On drive (litescribe) that I use primarily for labeling disks (I usually don't burn with it). Ultimately systems won't have PATA IDE anymore and will be all SATA so we're just in the interim right now. I would go with whatever is a good value at the time and meets my basic needs.