Author Topic: TheAudioXchange - Intro  (Read 12330 times)

dragan

Re: TheAudioXchange - Intro
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
To get back on topic...

I can't get www.theaudioxchange.com to load. Is it working for everybody else?

It's loading for me John. Maybe 'cause I administer the sucker :-). Sometime, not very often, I get a bit of a lag and only on Firefox. The new template seems to be snappier then the one I had previously.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
The next feature I'm looking to implement is audio blue book.
I've been working with UsedPrice.com to set it up and I think it'll work just fine. I don't have a date set yet but once up and running, it'll be free to all members.

Nice touch! It's refreshing to see that you are not out to get every available dollar which is clearly not the case for "that-place-which-will-not-be-mentioned-at-least-specifically-by-name" (Stolen without permission from miklorsmith!).

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
To get back on topic...

I can't get www.theaudioxchange.com to load. Is it working for everybody else?

It's loading for me John. Maybe 'cause I administer the sucker :-). Sometime, not very often, I get a bit of a lag and only on Firefox. The new template seems to be snappier then the one I had previously.

I have no idea what it was but it's working fine now.

Thanks.....

dragan

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »

Nice touch! It's refreshing to see that you are not out to get every available dollar which is clearly not the case for "that-place-which-will-not-be-mentioned-at-least-specifically-by-name" (Stolen without permission from miklorsmith!).
[/quote]

No John, I won't be charging for this despite a high cost to set it up and to run it. Usedprice charges $150 annually I believe, for individual accounts (one category) but in my case, the annual cost is much higher. I think it'll be a nice feature to have though.

It worth knowing, I don't charge for advertising either. Folks can fly their banners on the Resources page for free and post commercially all they wish in the Forum section.

Simple listings are free as well as renewals. Two things I charge for are listing enhancements and StoreFront subscription. Every new business account gets six-month store subscription for free. Enough to set it up and try.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 02:40:01 PM »
The blue book is a valuable feature, I pay for it at Anti-gon. I don't know if I can trust the prices, but at least it's a ballpark, sometimes the fact that there is little activity, or a lot of activity is valuable to know. Will you incorporate more info in your blue book than just hi lo avg prices? Revealling a chart of price activity and sales per time period (month) would be handy too. Not sure what is possible.

Another thing about antigon besides the deplorable customer service and downright immoral business decisions is the rating system. As I understand, every feedback must be approved and accepted by the person being criticized. That tends to warp the picture toward the optimistic perspective. What are your thoughts on the "feedback" or "buyer and seller ratings?"

Since ratings are so valuable to the site users and to the perceived vale of the site itself, maybe a way to encourage rating participation after a trade can be cooked up. Something that doesn't cost you anything but allows enthusiastic participants to get a little brain cookie for their trouble. That kind of pat on the head builds loyalty and a fun atmosphere.

Just rambling. It's great just the way it is, I'm glad there is an alternative who is actively seeking to grow.
Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »
On the feedback, I have a negative ding on my account in That Place.  It's a long story and I have a clean conscience but basically they sent me the other guy's "draft" feedback.  I refuted several of his key points to Them, including some that I could have easily, factually disproved given a chance.  Instead, They just tacked them unchanged onto my account and now I have a scarlet letter.  Bastards. 

I don't see the point in a seemingly democratic system if it's just a smokescreen.

dragan

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »
Rich, miklorsmith,   about audio blue book - all I can do (contactually) is provide an interface on my site to query UsedPrice database and show the results back on my site again. I tested their system and it has loads of info, I even tried with some small brands and they seems to be present. Keep in mind, not everything is there though. The way they show results is exactly as you described. High, Average and Low. Although, It's been a while... I'll test again and update here if any different. If I remember correctly, the results were in the ballpark, just like you said.

I cannot truly judge the value of this service so I'll listen for some feedback from you guys once it's in place and been running for a while. Considering that it won't cost anything, my thinking is folks will use it and draw from it what they can.

Feedback - I'd like to give you a bit of a background on this one if I may. Original script's (site) philosophy was to have full feedback management but only on auctions side of the site. The reason behind it is very simple (again, philosophically speaking and as far as code is concerned) - the site tracks auction transactions from start to end, it knows who the buyer is (winning bidder) and at the end, it makes both parties "eligible" to leave feedback for one another. You see, the script needed an actual transaction to take place in order to allow for feedback to be left.
Makes sense, right?

Transactions on the classifieds side are only originated on the site and the rest of whatever develops takes place outside. No meaningful way to even attempt to track it. So, the only thing we had for classifieds was the voting system which referred to listings, not sellers.

Another thing that was influencing my decision for a while was experience with Agon.  I had serious issues with arbitrary feedback as one can increase his own positive rating completely without merit and post negative for competitors.This is how it was some time ago on their site, today...well I won't even comment. 

Then I got flooded with requests. I understood full well the value and this is what I'm in the middle of doing as we speak:
I will carry over the existing feedback management from auction side to classifieds. No transaction to track but so be it.
The interface will be very similar to what you guys are used to already. No worries there. If I don't make it better, it will not be any worse.. :-)

No arbitration on my part, none whatsoever. So, the feedback left, the feedback posted. If there is a problem and it's brought to my attention, then the "board" will review and make the final decision. This board will be no one else but members, maybe 5 good folks willing to pitch in a little and help. I started a thread about this over at AC couple of days ago, asking people's opinion. Please, fire away if you guys have any thoughts.

Sorry for being so longwinded... Just wanted to explain where we are right now.

Oh, another thing, in addition to what I just described, there will be a blank field titled "external feedback" (or something like that) for members with feedback elsewhere to link to it from my site as they post ads.

I'm editing again 'cause I forgot about the "brain cookie" to encourage feedback posting, there may be a way to "remind" members upon login. Not sure but will definitely look into it.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 04:47:28 PM by dragan »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 05:02:10 PM »
CooL! Thanks, sounds very exciting.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
The feedback system for classified's is where I got hung up in the technology.  I was thinking of making all classifieds 'buy it now' to create the transaction you need to associate with feedback...  But that wasn't working for me either.  It wasn't 'really' a classified.  Between that and the snowball of time and work that this project was going to need, I had to back out.  But the feedback thing was the turning point for me.  Glad you're pressing on with a good solution.

The arbitration probably won't be a big deal until you grow much larger.  By then you'll have 5 cars and a mansion so, you'll be able afford to hire someone by then. ;)

Thanks for the details, nice to read how you're working through the challenges.

-Carl
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:54:31 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

dragan

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 06:47:09 PM »
That's just it Carl, if the software doesn't associate the seller with a buyer, in other words, it doesn't know who the buyer is, it's impossible to do anything but arbitrary feedback. And this is only to give a sellers and a buyer "eligibility" to leave feedback for one another.

I think with a good and vigilant "court" in place, arbitrary will work fine though.

miklorsmith

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 12:01:49 AM »
On feedback, ebay now doesn't allow sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers.  That seems very unfair to me though I'm much more often a buyer than seller there.  They have struggled with how to do it for years and they still haven't figured it out.  Your setup sounds reasonable though of course users want to get "points" as quickly as possible.  Auctions may be a good tool once you get market traction but early on, I wouldn't expect that to be terribly popular unless a high reserve is allowed.  That kind of defeats the point of an auction though.

Not criticisms, just pointing out some of the tough parts.  Trust me, I would love a market diversification as much as anyone.

dragan

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 07:25:10 AM »
Mike, sorry about the delay. I've been working with a dealer, getting him set up on the site.
I browse eBay sometime but nowadays don't sell or buy anything there. Long time ago I bought a Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck, remember those?, from a guy who claimed it to be in good shape cosmetically and fully functioning. I paid with real money and what I received wasn't pleasant at all. Outside, the unit was OK, not bad, but nothing worked, not a single function. When I opened it, few boards were broken in half and glued together just to keep them in place and from bouncing around.

Needless to say, there was no response from the seller. Not having too many options, I contacted a person in New Hampshire, if I remember correctly, who at the time serviced Nakamichi decks and ended up recovering 1/3 of the money (about $200) buy selling it to him for parts.

Not related to my site, just a story...

Both parties will have the ability to leave feedback for one another on my site. Auctions will have a transaction to associate feedback with but classifieds will not. Like you said and I agree, classifieds are going to be and have been much more popular but the full auction functionality is there, properly done, for those who wish to utilize them.  I have no control over how reserve is set. I can control many other things but have not set any policies that would govern over pricing etc. There is also "buy now" function if sellers wish to use it.

How's your reviewing coming? Few months ago Srajan made a small mention of my site in his "news" section :-). A dealer called me to let me know. Now, I advertise there...