Author Topic: RMAF: What are your "must see" room(s)?  (Read 13292 times)

WEEZ

RMAF: What are your "must see" room(s)?
« on: July 27, 2007, 02:57:50 PM »
...or should I say, "must listen"..

So far, my list is:

ACI
Atma-Sphere
AVA/Salk
Ayre
Clayton
Ellis/AKSA
FirstWatt
Gershman
GR Reasearch
Joule Electra
Merlin
Quicksilver
Selah

For anyone who is not going...post the room(s) you want some feedback on; and I'm sure someone will oblige... :)

WEEZ

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: RMAF: What are your "must see" room(s)?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 04:39:26 PM »
I'd like to attend, but my wife threw me a curve when she said she would go also. Not sure  which companies will be there, but my short list would be:

ACI
AVA/Salk
CIA
GR Research
Joule
Selah
SP Tech

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 01:26:56 AM »

That's "The Lift" bar in the Atrium.....has a nice selection of food and drink...... 8)

With so many rooms, its good to make a list of what you want to see, and then hit all the others.
For the last two years I've tried to get to them all....but no luck....there's a lot of stuff to see and hear.
From last year I still remember the Amber Waves room....giant tube amps....thought they sounded pretty good, but big $$$$$.

This year I hope I can see about 70% of the rooms....last time I hit about 50%....

Looks like the list got longer..... RMAF Link.....

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »
Yeah, "The Lift" is a must see room :lol: :beer:

I just noticed that Serious Stereo is back this year. www.seriousstereo.com A fine example of high sensitivity/flea power if I ever heard it....Bill(Deadfish) and I were mesmerized last year....

No SP Tech?

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 06:55:35 AM »
Stop in and say hi for sure.  I'm sharing a room with Mike Dzurko of ACI.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 09:48:56 AM »
I wanna hear Harbeth speakers and AVA preamps, maybe some OB speakers, whatever else catches my fancy. I was able to see it all last year and return for seconds and thirds on a few. Might be more stuff this year? Can't wait! I enjoyed Steve Hoffman lectures too, don't miss that if he comes back again. Great music. Friday night at the pub should be fun too :)

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 12:50:02 PM »
In the wake of the 2004 show (where I probably only got to a dozen rooms or so) I have promised to make a hit list but somehow I never seem to do it.  Oh, I made a mental one last year but found myself taken off guard by a few things that consumed more time than I had planned.  The Welborne Room with the Cogent field coil horns had me snagged for a while, especially when one guy brought in some, what I think somebody said was direct cut vinyl of Joni Mitchell's Blue - stunning.

Then I got stuck in Robert Lee's room and ended up buying a pair of Adagios because of it. :D

I definitely want to hear this Serious Audio gear, and the Bolder room for sure -- where Bill O'Connell's new 160 watt monoblock tube amps will be making their debut along with all the new goodies Wayne is cooking up.  Audio Note Kits will also be showing some interesting new kit products, one of which -- the M3 phono preamp -- is a definite possibility for a future upgrade in my system.

Others:

Modwright
GR Research
Acoustic Horn (I want to see how a horn that crosses over to the sub at 700 Hz sounds -- and what kind of sub that is.)

and probably a lot more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Hoping to pick up some cool vinyl too.

-- Jim

WEEZ

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 03:09:48 PM »
Jim,

If you like tubes and high sensitivity speakers, I think you will love the Serious Stereo room. Pricey, but good.

Bryan,

I hope you'll join us for an adult beverage when you're done workin' :)

WEEZ

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 05:40:53 PM »
Don't think I will make it this year.  I have six conferences from Sept-Nov, so need to put in an appearance at home sometime.

If any of you dirty dogs that are going like vinyl, stop by and see Thom at the Galibier room and check out the new Serac (presuming it is ready by then).  I am considering getting that and would love to hear your impressions.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 07:52:59 PM »
Weez - you know I don't drink beer  :roll:

Deadfish (Bill) and I will be driving out and will be checking in on Wednesday afternoon.  A quick nap and we'll likely be enjoying an adult beverage Wednesday evening before the craziness starts if you're going to be there.

Rooms I'll likely see:
Well, we can always hope I can sneak away for a little while and let Mike man the room.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

jrebman

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 06:03:17 AM »
Weez,

Sorry, didn't see this reply until now (still seems that topic notification is not 100% reliable).

In *theory* I like low power, single driver systems and have had several iterations of same myself, but they always left me just a little disappointed/unfulfilled especially in the lowest registers.  Sure, they do some things exceptionally well, but so far the compromise hasn't proven to be very long lived around here.

I really am tending towards liking what TL speakers can do, and a single-driver coaxial of this size and based on the Altec 604 sounds like it could be very interesting.  Of course it would all be window shopping at this point, but down the road... who knows.  I'm mostly interested in hearing what the concept is capable of.  The only true single driver speaker that I've really thought could find a place in my system was the Lamhorn, but it is now way out of my range, especially with the Reps driver.

I got my passes and hotel reservations this week, so I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you that will be there.

-- Jim