Author Topic: Official Open House - February 27th - 4-5PM start time  (Read 20501 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Official Open House - February 27th - 4-5PM start time
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
OK...  It looks like with Rich's get together we'll have some audio goodies to listen to in different rooms over the next couple weeks.

This is getting to be last minute, but I'll officially put this on the calendar.  Saturday Feb. 27 starting around 4-5PM.

The reason it's so late in the afternoon is that I'm going to be participating in the St. Baldrick's event at Hibernian Pub in Raleigh that day starting at 1PM.  So I will be buzz cut when you all see me later that afternoon.  I'll create a separate post for folks to let them know and donate if you feel the need.

anyways, back to this get together.

New toys:

- a new pair of floorstanders that are modestly priced
- the diamond tweeter equipped Usher Tiny Dancer (formerly known officially as Be-718)
- I'll be putting in a call to ken to see if we can work something out for me to steal back his Usher Mini 2s for the weekend
- new subwoofers from TBI and others that I'm trying to break in and integrate with some bookshelf speaker options
- new digital front ends including the now broken in slightly modified Oppo 83SE, a new digital transport, and a couple DAC options.
- a comparison using the same machine between the Lynx L22 soundcard outputing AES/EBU through custom JPS dongle and the M2Tech USB-spdif dongle that uses proprietary drivers to output 24/192 via kernel streaming.  So bring your hi-rez files!
- a new to me amplifier that is a more refined version of the Butler Audio amps... but also a higher price tag to go along with it....

What won't be here just yet:

new Harbeth demo models to listen and compare to the modestly priced speakers.

I'm going to simple again.  So pizza will likely be delivered and I'll have some munchies....  Stale beer that still hasn't been drunk from our last events will be available and I'll get a few more bottles of different brands.  If you want to bring something, that's fine.  But please don't bring too much beer and leave it behind :)  I'd rather you just bring yourself and more music choices for us to hear, especially high rez stuff. 

As an aside, it's become oh so abundantly clear with the different speakers that I have some serious work to do on my structure to tame the bass issue that some wanted to attribute to the Harbeth Monitor 40.1s... It's even more obvious with the subs.... the measurements are ugly and it isn't any of the speakers fault...

let me know via PM, email, phone, or this thread if you can make it.  I'd like to get an idea of headcount.  Thanks!  If Sunday works better for everyone, we can do that date as well.  I'm open to either...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Official Open House - February 27th - 4-5PM start time
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »
Sorry Shane, I have a dinner party at my house that night, so I can't make it. BUMMER for me!

EDIT: Actually, my guests usually leave by 8-9pm, so I might be able to come over after that unless wifey makes me clean up.  So save some Doritos for me. ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:57:58 PM by richidoo »

Offline stereofool

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »
I might be able to make it...provided no nasty surprises arise  :roll:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:54:05 AM »
I just got confirmation from Ken that we're going to make the Usher Mini 2 speakers happen for the get together!!....

So for this get together:

Speakers: 

Usher Tiny Dancer Diamond tweeters
Usher Mini 2 with BE tweeters (we can swap in the Diamond tweeters to compare)
a new floorstander priced almost the same as the Usher Mini 2
various harbeth models can be substituted in if folks wish...

Amplifiers:

Belles Reference 150A v2
Butler Audio TDB-2250
a new hybrid amp I'm trying out
LFD NCSE if we want to mix that in

Sources:

Oppo Digital BDP-83SE modified slightly by Sol
My audio PC with Lynx L22 sound card and M2Tech USB-SPDIF dongle
Buffalo DAC32 kit heavily modified by Sol (more to come on that in the next month or so)
a new transport and DAC I'm trying out

For those interested, I'll be showing off a more modestly done (and priced) home theater setup that I've been impressed with the past week or so.  I'm finally starting to be much happier with that theater room setup.  Still two more things to do in there.  But so far it's been very good. 

Let me know via phone, email, PM, or posting here if you can make it.  Looking forward to seeing some folks. 
Shane Sangster

Offline stereofool

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
Shane,

I'm still interested, but I need to see how things go closer to the weekend. I'll let you know for sure Sat morning.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline stereofool

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:39:19 AM »
Shane,

I will be over Sat evening! I need to chat with you anyway.
Steve

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:33 AM »
Count me in as well!   Can't wait to hear Ken's speakers.  While I can't stay too late, let me know if you want me to bring the DAC1000 or transport (or anything else ;-)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:59:29 AM by mdconnelly »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »
I've been waiting to see how this weekend is going to play out for a long time.. And regrettably it appears that I won't be able to make it.. or if I do, it'll only be for a short time.. Hopefully y'all will update us on what you hear! :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
Mike,

thanks for the offer... DAC 1000 would be welcome.  I'd like to hear it again compared to what's here.  It's swiss army knife config will also be welcome.  No need on the transport.  I think we're good with the two here.

I'm going to be heading over to Ken's in a little bit to pick up speakers and get them swapped out with new diamond tweeters.  We'll play swap if folks want back to the BE tweeters so folks can hear the difference.  

Unless something drastic happens with the integration in the room, I'll have the Tiny Dancer 718s on standby in the other room.  I'll setup for Usher and the new floorstander to be side by side (no, not ideal, but easier to swap around with just speaker cables having to change).  I've been running DAC direct into amps so far and it sounds interesting.  Based on how we can get side tracked from time to time, I want to keep the swapping down or choices down a bit so we can definitely listen to a couple key things and then take requests at some point if there is a specific combination you want to hear.  

I'm going to try to get the EQ dialed in with theater room setup tonight as well.  Right now the sub integration isn't ideal...  otherwise its surprisingly good sound in there.

Looking forward to seeing folks.  Be forewarned, my head is going to be shiny bald :)
Shane Sangster

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
My wife says I can leave at 8pm. I will bring sunglasses.  8)

Bigfish8

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »
Holy Crap!  I think I should have gone to the Eastern Shore this weekend because I already miss my babies.  Damn!  Shane left with them a little while ago and I put my old Monitor Audio 9i's in their place.  It reminds me of listening to a radio playing instead of a decent 2 channel system.  My babies had not been moved even a fraction of an inch since Shane and I set them up several months ago.  When they come back on Sunday they will not move again until I upgrade in the distant future or I am dust in a Urn! :thumb: 

I look forward to hearing the new gear over at Shane's tomorrow night and to seeing all of you guys!

Ken

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 05:29:18 PM »
I would love to be there to hear the Ushers Mini 2 speakers. It will be late if I can, after work.

henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Ken,  looking forward to seeing you and your babies!

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »
Ken,

I'm not sure I can give these back to you... Holy hell these things are awesome...  It may not be everyone's sound and they are far from perfect (RichardS isn't going to like the bass as an example)... but it's doin' it for me in a big way overall right now... 

the more things change, the more they stay the same...
Shane Sangster

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
Shane, remember that you originally just loaned them to Ken.  They were going to be yours!   :rofl:

Just how deep do they go?