Author Topic: GTG November 12 at Rich's  (Read 20667 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: GTG November 12 at Rich's
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »
I'm so sorry I couldn't make it today.  Long story short: We had family in town and there was lots of 'stuff' going on that prevented me from making it.  I have had a stack of records on the kitchen table all day.. guess I should put those back downstairs before they become a plate for pancakes... :(

I hope everyone had (or is still having) a fun time today. 

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:55 PM »
I don't know about anyone else... but I had a good time :)

Sol didn't make it until after 7PM because he was frantically soldering and bench testing an addition to the get together....my custom tube monoblocks :)

even fresh off the soldering station with zero break-in time, they were really quite good... some minor things that still need to be worked on with grounding and mechanical noise... and maybe some heat dissipation things to address... but not too shabby at all....  they definitely made Rich's speakers come alive.  I really like the PRAT and drive with the new amps...

Thanks as always to Rich for putting on a good show and making it fun to hang out and just listen... I don't get to do that nearly enough these days.... we spun a lot of vinyl at this meet with not a ton of gear swapping around...  only a couple changes over the course of 10+ hours.. I can hardly believe it... that's so not like us :)....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
Good fun today. Thanks to all who came over. This was one of my favorite meets. We did spin a lot of vinyl, mostly jazz and classic rock, and it sounded good. Chrisa brought some 45rpm trad. jazz, and direct to disk sides which sounded great. I especially like the Chuck Mangione Bellavia, a word I had not heard since my macho stageband trumpet dude days 30 years ago, that was a fun last from the past to hear that tune. 

Steve played a Blood Sweat and Tears track with low male vocal that we all loved and it became our informal test track for the relatively few equipment swaps that we did.

Sol's new amps are awesome. Put my Manleys to shame in dynamics, tone quality and overall balls. Of course they have 3x the power, but it was more than that. Very special.

It was fun meeting mac5u (Mike) who drove 3 hours from SC border near Charlotte.  He brought his Lector ZOE preamp which sounded really sweet, and a CD by a very talented young female vocalist. What is her name again, Mike? The record you like is this.

Thanks to Shane for bringing his integrated amp and cables, and to Steve for bringing cables, records, CDs and assorted tools and G2G fix'ems, as well as snacks.

My speakers fared well, much better than last time, and best with Sol's new tube amps and moderate volume. I got some good advice about where to go next.

We missed you Carl. Next time!
Rich

Offline stereofool

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
Rich,

As always, thanks to you and your family, for allowing us into your home  :thumb:!

It was a long day, but wonderful to see so many of the guys, again! Mike/mac5u, it was certainly nice to meet you and hope you can join us again.

Definitely a success...the plan of having a G2G with mostly listening to music, was very enjoyable.

Your speakers definitely sounded better, this time around. Your hard work is coming along, nicely. Early on, Shane played some 'rock' tracks; with your Manley's driving them, they didn't sound very good. Even though this speaker is supposed to be very efficient, your amps weren't up to the task. Now, with smooth jazz or classical, played at moderate levels...they were sounding pretty darn good.

Your Clearaudio TT and Buffalo DAC were sounding very nice, as well. I'd have to give the nod to the vinyl, such a smooth/organic sound. The only issue, with the vinyl, is having to get up off my lazy ass, and pick the stylus up from the surface, then having to lift one lp off and putting another on. Man, is digital much more convenient, even though I find it lacking by comparison.

Fast forward to evening, and the arrival of Sol with Shane's new tube monoblocks. These basically had ZERO time on them, however what a revelation. As soon as they were inserted, Rich's speakers just came ALIVE!!! There was excellent PRAT, they sounded much smoother, with lots of punch. They had lots of 'air', pinpoint imaging, excellent extension to the extremes. Rocks tracks (now) were very 'toe-tapping/head-nodding' listenable  :thumb:.

Well done, Sol!!! Once again, you amaze us with your design accumin. I wish that I had even an iota of the audio electronics knowledge that you possess.

Finally, I did snap some pics and I will working on getting them up, as the day goes by...YAWN. All I could do when I got home at 2:00AM, was to crash into bed...zzzzzzzzz!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

mac5u

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2011, 07:21:36 AM »
Rich,

I'll just echo what Steve wrote and thank you and your family for having us over.  This was my first G2G and I had a blast.  It was terrific meeting you, your kids are great, and I enjoyed shooting some real estate breeze with your lovely wife.  It was an enjoyable Saturday afternoon / evening.  

Yeah, Shane, everyone did have a good time.  I think, though, reflecting back on Steve's comment a moment ago about bending down to pick up the stylus when changing out tunes -- we were all grateful that Steve did wear some clothes.   :D

It was terrific meeting everyone who showed up.  You know how it is -- you converse with someone you have never met and you try to put a face to that person.  I am glad I was able to meet some of you, and most of you are actually better looking and younger than I imagined!

Like Shane mentioned, there wasn't much gear-swapping but the signal event of the evening when Sol brought over Shane's new mono blocks did an incredible transformation on Steve's speakers.  One really had to be there to experience it.  

I'm looking forward to Steve's pics, future G2Gs, and now that Rich has shown me how to do it right, I'll be hosting one down in Charlotte next spring.

Rich, the female vocalist is Renee Olstead.

--Mike
(Link fixed)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:32:17 AM by mac5u »

Offline stereofool

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:52 AM »
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
Nice pics Steve! Thanks for being our vinyl flipper, and honest but gentle criticizer.

Thanks for driving up Mike, look forward to seeing you again soon.

I am sitting here with Sol listening to the amps playing perfect Chesky sampler tracks direct from DAC to amps, after he changed something on the inputs to cure the hum while maintaining full AC ground. They sound gorgeous.  I'll be selling my Manleys soon and building these. Sol tells me they are biased to about 10W in class A, with about 70W max.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »
  Hey Rich speakers looking good. Nice to see y'all in the photos.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
I must say.... this get together got the juices flowing more than in the recent past...  I was already gearing up with some new purchases.... now hearing the amps and just enjoying music for an entire evening, I want to keep the ball rolling...

I spent all day yesterday working with my woodworking guy.  I'm doing a crazy awesome custom closet install in the master done in dark stained american walnut.  The floor in there is already brazilian walnut I put in right after buying the house.  This is going to be seriously great looking... but because I was tied up with that allll day long yesterday and will be doing it several nights this week, I left the amps with Rich for him to break them in a bit for me.... he doesn't seem to mind :)

but last night when my muscles were killing me from carrying walnut closet pieces all day and I couldn't sleep, I went a little nuts and ordered up a bunch of parts to build out silent linux boxes... I've been curious to try them in comparison to my windows based media servers.  With JPS Labs USB cables in hand and 3 different USB capable DACs here (PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC that is about to have a digital board upgrade that will include 24/192 asynch USB, Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold with voltikus and the AMR DP-777 dual DAC chip unit), I think we need to have some serious listening sessions with different music delivery sources and DAC combos....  with all the other amp additions being made to my systems, I'm definitely going to have to host one of my own get togethers very soon.... actually, I'm going to have to try to host a couple of them before I'm put in baby jail when the little one arrives next year....

Thanks again Rich for hosting and breaking in my amps some more until I can get over there to pick them up....  It was great to see old friends again and to meet some new faces!  I hope to see everyone again real soon....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
I definitely enjoyed myself too. Less gear swapping and more listening and visiting is good.
I was quite impressed with how clean and dynamic the vinyl sounded, and I'll add my comments to the chorus that Sol's amps were very impressive. If he can fit two channels into that cabinet size, I'll take one!
Rich's speakers were a bit colored sounding on some recordings driven by the 300B's, but this was much less apparent with the quicker amps. Very well balanced, warm and listenable; and with sparkle and deep bass when called for.

Chris

djdube525

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2011, 11:40:07 AM »
I'll chime in as well... although I didn't stay as nearly long as I would have liked, I enjoyed myself tremendously and many thanks to Rich and his family for being such generous hosts opening their doors to everyone!  :thumb:

I never got to listen to Sol's Amp (left too early), so it's hard to compare, but with certain music, I thought his speakers did very well. Melody Gardot, Amos Lee, Damien Rice (Thanks Shane for throwing him on - I ordered a CD while I was there - love the iPhone and Amazon's used selections)... I imagine Norah Jones would sound very good as well.... Female/Jazz vocals do very very well. If the new amps had that much of an impact (speed, articulation)... then that sounds like a good next project for Rich (insert evil grin).  :thumb:

Dave

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
I shined up my 300Bs for sale today, and looking forward to building a pair of these 6C33s for myself.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2011, 01:39:17 PM »
Wow, a completely DIY system that has world-class sonics.  Well done, Rich.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline stereofool

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »
looking forward to building a pair of these 6C33s for myself.

Keep me in mind...I might want to jump into the same project  8).
Steve